PDA

View Full Version : crossover question (running active)

jdmferio13
08-01-2010, 09:06 PM
I am running the pg rsd 6.5 comp set for now.I have the mids in the doorlow and the tweets high on door facing ears.I have the mids bp at 80 and 2.5k i believe.should the tweets be right at 2.5k or can i take them higher at 4k.I was told crossing them over at the same frequency is probably not the right thing to do.But what will happen for the freq that arent being played between the 2.I do have TA on my hu aswell if that helps.

jdmferio13
08-01-2010, 10:08 PM
anyone have any answers lol

fasfocus00
08-02-2010, 08:43 AM
I am running the pg rsd 6.5 comp set for now.I have the mids in the doorlow and the tweets high on door facing ears.I have the mids bp at 80 and 2.5k i believe.should the tweets be right at 2.5k or can i take them higher at 4k.I was told crossing them over at the same frequency is probably not the right thing to do.But what will happen for the freq that arent being played between the 2.I do have TA on my hu aswell if that helps.

what do you think will happen to those frequencies? keep in mind most singing voices are from 1k-4k.

BassnTruck
08-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Oh this is an easy one! You will have a product exactly like BOSE.

Why did they tell you not to cross them at the same frequency? Did they have a real solid answer that made any sort of sense? Or were they just blowing smoke in an attempt to fool you into believing they were smart? I will put my money on the latter so it may be a safe bet to ignore just about everything this person says from now on.

There is no reason to not share the crossover point between the tweeter and mid-woofer. Only remotely rational reason I can come up with to do so is if there were a real nasty peak in one of the drivers at that frequency. So if you crosses it just above or below to get it to reduce that peak. But that assumes you know there is a peak there and don't have an EQ that can solve it just as easy.

keep_hope_alive
08-06-2010, 11:37 PM
crossover points depend on the driver response and their aiming. door speakers are off axis to the closest listener so the roll-off is much sooner. they can share the same frequency, even overlap - what sounds best really depends on the installation. the concern with a crossover point that overlaps is a term called "lobing" when speakers separated by a distance play the same frequency.
SoundStage! Getting Technical Back-Issue Article (12/2003) (http://www.soundstage.com/gettingtechnical/gettingtechnical200312.htm)

without an RTA it's difficult to know where exactly the speakers roll off - but factory door grills are usually restrictive of higher frequencies.

the short answer - do what sounds best to you. or get the necessary tools to measure the response at each seat, and tune from there.

i recommend getting the tweeters farther from you - dash or apillar - so you can work to develop a sound stage above the dash.