PDA

View Full Version : POLL: budget PE midrange

Big Ry
08-01-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm having trouble narrowing it down. These will be in an active 2-way setup. I haven't purchased the tweeters just yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up some Seas textiles from madisound. Please only vote if you have used or at least heard these drivers. Any input is appreciated. Thanx.

stanky1219
08-01-2010, 08:41 PM
i have heard the eminence and seleniums and they are ****ing loud as hell.

Big Ry
08-01-2010, 08:46 PM
i have heard the eminence and seleniums and they are ****ing loud as hell.sounds good to me :D

any input on the midbass or SQ? and do you know what they were crossed at?

Big Ry
08-01-2010, 08:47 PM
on PE it says all these drivers have a depth of ~3" too...that seems a bit hard to believe. They look pretty hefty, and I think even my CMX kicks were over or near 3"

stanky1219
08-01-2010, 08:52 PM
they have very punchy midbass but the higher end is their strong points. dont know what they were crossed at. lots of people are using these around my area.

Big Ry
08-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Ok, thanx.

Lets get some more votes in here.

Big Ry
08-02-2010, 11:32 PM
bump

more suggestions welcome too

RAM_Designs
08-02-2010, 11:37 PM
lots of people are using these around my area.

I immediately thought "you must be from Florida"...surely enough. :D

tmcdade
08-03-2010, 12:00 AM
If it were me, I'd go with the Eminence, b/c its low Le and high Fs should make it the most punchy of the three, and although I haven't heard it personally, I've read pretty positive things about it. JMO. Good luck :thumbupw:

Big Ry
08-03-2010, 12:02 AM

CoilBurner
08-03-2010, 12:10 AM
the specs on the dayton look VERY impressive. Wish someone with them would chime in

Have you seen them before OP?? **** high efficiency

Big Ry
08-03-2010, 12:29 AM
I haven't. And they certainly do look good, but I'm just questioning their low end? Since I wont be having a dedicated midbass driver, I'd like something to pickup a little of the midbass.

Big Ry
08-03-2010, 12:31 AM
and look at the xmax :(

CoilBurner
08-03-2010, 12:32 AM
oh, I seen midrange in your title I guess that threw me off

Big Ry
08-03-2010, 12:43 AM
Well its kind of a gray area I guess. If you want to consider the ratio of frequencies covered vs not covered, then yes, I DEFINITELY need a midrange. But the small frequency band extending into the midbass area is desired as well, its just significantly smaller range than the rest lol. In hind site, probably a terrible comparison...that'd mean tweeters are the be-all-end-all of car audio :-O

Big Ry
08-03-2010, 11:44 PM
bumpity

galacticmonkey
08-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Ive used all 3. Owned probably 50 Eminence Alpha 6s in different setups over the years, and now I have 16 Selenium 6s.

The Daytons are meh. I wouldnt use them for one of my builds. Not bad, but the others are much better.

The Eminence is great. Not much midbass, but screams. Take a ton of power. With the HPF set up around 125hz, it will take 200rms no problem. Loud as balls.

The Selenium is my personal favorite. Still very loud but they sound SOOOOO clean and have the most midbass out of any 6 Ive ever heard. I had a set of Hertz HSK 165s and went from them (4ohm) to a pair of Seleniums (8ohm). Direct drop in. Same doors (deadened and sealed to hell), same amp (MB Quart DSC4125), and all that. No tweeters with the Seleniums, just a mid in each door. Even with 1/2 the power (double impedance) the Seleniums are way louder and honestly, sound just as good if not better. Many people have told me this as well. Much fuller, bassier sound. With the 60w that I have to each I can change the crossovers on my 880PRS and play them FULL RANGE wide open. Literally not crossed over at all. They actually put out bass. Not midbass, but bass. They can get probably over 1/4" of excursion on some slowed down stuff. But just overall the sound is great. Its my new favorite speaker. I liked them so much I bought 16 of them. Soon they will all be in my truck.

I think if people on here could get over the stigma of "omg pro audioz soundz like p00p!!!!!111", and actually give them a real listen, it would be the new boner mid for sure. It kills a $400 set of Hertz comps no problems, and without a tweeter. Add a tweeter and it would sound even better.

Take the Seleniums hand down if youre woried about sacrificing a LITTLE output to get great sound and a ton of midbass.

Heres a video of them I took with my phone one day. This is no crossed over at all. Notice the deadener on the doors and how they are sealed. Without it, you wont get crap for midbass.

YouTube - ‪Selenium 6w4ps in my Avalanche‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJcyTiBbp1M)

Big Ry
08-04-2010, 11:50 PM
yeah, i keep seeing mixed reviews on the seleniums. i want something thatll be loud and extend low.

Big Ry
08-05-2010, 03:18 AM
well, **** dun changed lol

i found some used HEXs in the classifieds for $100. theyre gold coned which i found odd. the seller said he bought them used so he doesnt know anything about their age or model year. from what i understand the eton s600s's are black coned, so doesnt look like its the old school audiophile set, but $100 is still good for the newer s600s hexs. 150wrms here i come :) just gotta deaden this **** outta my doors!

galacticmonkey
08-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Meh.

Big Ry
08-05-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm gonna try the seas tweets to and see which I prefer

GavinVoy
08-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Ive used all 3. Owned probably 50 Eminence Alpha 6s in different setups over the years, and now I have 16 Selenium 6s.

The Daytons are meh. I wouldnt use them for one of my builds. Not bad, but the others are much better.

The Eminence is great. Not much midbass, but screams. Take a ton of power. With the HPF set up around 125hz, it will take 200rms no problem. Loud as balls.

The Selenium is my personal favorite. Still very loud but they sound SOOOOO clean and have the most midbass out of any 6 Ive ever heard. I had a set of Hertz HSK 165s and went from them (4ohm) to a pair of Seleniums (8ohm). Direct drop in. Same doors (deadened and sealed to hell), same amp (MB Quart DSC4125), and all that. No tweeters with the Seleniums, just a mid in each door. Even with 1/2 the power (double impedance) the Seleniums are way louder and honestly, sound just as good if not better. Many people have told me this as well. Much fuller, bassier sound. With the 60w that I have to each I can change the crossovers on my 880PRS and play them FULL RANGE wide open. Literally not crossed over at all. They actually put out bass. Not midbass, but bass. They can get probably over 1/4" of excursion on some slowed down stuff. But just overall the sound is great. Its my new favorite speaker. I liked them so much I bought 16 of them. Soon they will all be in my truck.

I think if people on here could get over the stigma of "omg pro audioz soundz like p00p!!!!!111", and actually give them a real listen, it would be the new boner mid for sure. It kills a $400 set of Hertz comps no problems, and without a tweeter. Add a tweeter and it would sound even better.

Take the Seleniums hand down if youre woried about sacrificing a LITTLE output to get great sound and a ton of midbass.

Heres a video of them I took with my phone one day. This is no crossed over at all. Notice the deadener on the doors and how they are sealed. Without it, you wont get crap for midbass.

YouTube - ‪Selenium 6w4ps in my Avalanche‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJcyTiBbp1M)

this is relevant to my interests.

Big Ry
08-12-2010, 05:41 PM
and now the polls are close with daytons leading by 1. you guys sure dont make this an easy decision! lol

galacticmonkey
08-12-2010, 05:45 PM
I wonder how many of those people have experience with all 3 speakers.

Ive done probably 4 cars with the Daytons, about 4 with the Seleniums, and I couldnt even tell you how many with the Eminence. Countless.

Big Ry
08-12-2010, 05:54 PM
well thats good to know cause i just ordered the seleniums :D

$30 gift card to amazon + $25 seleniums on amazon = $30 and change for 2 seleniums shipped to me :)