PDA

View Full Version : Enclosure Vs. Bandpass Enclosure?

BigPanch
01-17-2004, 08:32 PM
I am trying to see what will sound good with 2 ,15" audiobahn AW1571 , 500watt on my astro van. So Enclosure or Bandpass Enclosure?

yamaha326
01-17-2004, 08:43 PM
bandpass ***** go with ported or sealed you will be more happier with the sound quality

BigPanch
01-17-2004, 08:50 PM
yeah i want it to sound loud with out giving me the enoying sounds i have herd in other cars

BigPanch
02-03-2004, 07:20 PM
I have been asking people if Bandpass for my 15's or seald sound better and some say bandpass is better because it lets the air out. And seald will damage the subs? Is it true?

I dont know much about witch boxes will sound right without damaging my subs.

davidfre21
02-03-2004, 07:30 PM
sealed wont damage ur sub...

bandpass is worthless in my mind they are so huge and really does make the SQ drop

go ported or sealed

BigPanch
02-03-2004, 07:39 PM
Oh and are these good messurements?14 Width-23 Hight-8Depth
in CM

My max Volume is 3.0 for one sub only if any one whants to help me out with the messurements that would be great
thanks

iceteebone
02-03-2004, 08:02 PM
since you have audiobahn which is mainly an spl sub go ported to get the most out of it.

BDIDDY
02-03-2004, 08:04 PM
Go with the ported, audiobahn's arent known for SQ anyways...

BTW is that your van in your avatar?

BigPanch
02-03-2004, 08:20 PM
BDIDDY -BTW is that your van in your avatar?

nah i am almost on the process of havin it look like that only some stuff will be diffirent but the same cadillac grill

subsonix
02-03-2004, 10:54 PM
I have been asking people if Bandpass for my 15's or seald sound better and some say bandpass is better because it lets the air out. And seald will damage the subs? Is it true?

Sealed is the safest enclosure for subs. There is always air pressure to control the cone's motion. Playing the sub at loud levels below a ported boxes tuning frequency is likely to destroy it. I tried designing a bandpass box that sounds good and it's pretty much impossible. They're good for SPL competitions but not much else. Go with either sealed or low-tuned ported.

DCMax22
02-04-2004, 03:11 PM
sealed wont damage ur sub...

bandpass is worthless in my mind they are so huge and really does make the SQ drop

go ported or sealed
They are huge, but it depends on what you are trying to achieve. Everybody has a different plan to compliment their existing system. See Definitions (http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?p=393441#post393441)

In my case, I already have pretty loud 9 speaker system in my Tahoe, including a factory installed 8" sealed subwoofer that gets pretty low. So I decided to get a"boombox" bandpass enclosure for the heck of it.

http://groovecity.home.att.net/2.jpg

I'm sayin yung, dis joint puts out some lows, I mean chest kickin, bone shakin, subsonics. Nam sayin. . . . Just depends on what you are trying to achieve. Now if these mugs were in a sealed enclosure, they would have a lot of up front knock and clear bass, but I am pretty much OK on that with my other 9 speakers. Ya dig what the rock is cookin . . . . . . . . .

gettnbig
02-04-2004, 03:19 PM
They are huge, but it depends on what you are trying to achieve. Everybody has a different plan to compliment their existing system. See Definitions (http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?p=393441#post393441)

In my case, I already have pretty loud 9 speaker system in my Tahoe, including a factory installed 8" sealed subwoofer that gets pretty low. So I decided to get a"boombox" bandpass enclosure for the heck of it.

http://groovecity.home.att.net/2.jpg

I'm sayin yung, dis joint puts out some lows, I mean chest kickin, bone shakin, subsonics. Nam sayin. . . . Just depends on what you are trying to achieve. Now if these mugs were in a sealed enclosure, they would have a lot of up front knock and clear bass, but I am pretty much OK on that with my other 9 speakers. Ya dig what the rock is cookin . . . . . . . . .

Hahaha....your kidding right?

DCMax22
02-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Hahaha....your kidding right?
Kidding about what?

BDIDDY
02-04-2004, 05:01 PM
Kidding about what?

Your subs...

Sony + Bandpass = [no]

DCMax22
02-04-2004, 06:19 PM
Your subs...

Sony + Bandpass = [no]
Then what are the best 15" subs for bandpass, since I made a goofy mistake?

http://groovecity.home.att.net/4.jpg

BDIDDY
02-04-2004, 06:26 PM
Then what are the best 15" subs for bandpass, since I made a goofy mistake?

http://groovecity.home.att.net/4.jpg

none....

Ported is what I go with...

DCMax22
02-04-2004, 06:46 PM
none....

Ported is what I go with...Ported may be good also. But what I have, cheap or whatever, I get some nice pressure packing bass that knocks the body at a continuous 1000 watts for the cab. The thing about this box is that I can drag it into one of my gigs and it can double as a "hum bass" cab. You know . . . bandpass cabs hum one note constantly and that note is BOOM BOOM BOOM. I just want a little extra kick for my truck. I get enough loud music at my shows. If it turns out down the road that the Sony's ain't all that, I'll just have to live with it. But it is pretty though, and the chicks dig it. Ya feel where I am comin from bro . . . . . . .

Also, you can't play these speakers down too much as being a total joke. The magnets are about 17lbs each. I played the box without the plexiglas on front "hense . . . sealed ported enclosure". I thought they sounded better with the plexiglas on, at least for what I am trying to achieve. I cranked dem duel 15z up and I'm sayin . . . the whole box was vibrating and cash air was exploding thru the 4 ports as it hummmmmed the bass notes. I'm talking flabbering low "loud" rumble. The only thing is, that the box is so heavy, over 70lbs, but it's solid. It's all good for now . . . . we'll see.

P.S. Where is your picture of your big system . . .
Peace DCMax22

nweibley
02-04-2004, 07:22 PM
OT: DCMax, it might not look as flashy, but I bet two Magnum D2 15"s would tear your sonys a new ******* in a ported box.

Back on topic, don't go with bandpass. It is a waste of space and is really only for the idiots who want everyone else to hear their one note wonders.

If you are competing, I would go ported (acutally I would go with a well buildt ported either way), because you will actually be able to hear distortion when setting your equipment up. In a bandpass system, you really can't tell (without using an oscilliscope or multimeter) if your amp is clipping or if your subs are bottoming out... I think you would be much happier with a ported box.

BDIDDY
02-04-2004, 08:06 PM
P.S. Where is your picture of your big system . . .

If you think sony's are top **** you wouldnt know what to do with 2 B12's. 17 lbs each...?...right......

BigPanch
02-04-2004, 08:22 PM
are these some good messurements for 2 15's ?

(W) 23" (H)37" (Depth)14"
the volume for one sub is 3.0

nweibley
02-04-2004, 09:01 PM
Sony's 12":
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2003/158/h158l121p5-b.jpeg

RE's 12" XXX:
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/1/web/193000-193999/193074_71_full.jpg

Adire's 12" Brahma:
http://www.adireaudio.com/mobile_audio/drivers/new_b12_side.jpg

Which two look beefier and better buildt to you?

playa1
02-04-2004, 09:18 PM
THE SONY!!!!!!!!!! haha yea right i got a HC :) :) :)
My baby http://bellsouthpwp.net/p/l/playa1/Speaker/1.jpg
The basket on the XXX and Brahma look exactly the same.....

LoudCrownVic
02-04-2004, 10:27 PM
Sony... haha thats kina funny. But hey, whatever works.

davidfre21
02-04-2004, 10:34 PM
are these some good messurements for 2 15's ?

(W) 23" (H)37" (Depth)14"
the volume for one sub is 3.0
3 cubes is good, but it also depends on the 15s some need more ir space. but most likely that should do

LoneRanger
02-05-2004, 10:04 AM
I bet none of you kids that talk **** have ever heard a real custom-tailored bandpass.....

BDIDDY
02-05-2004, 10:44 AM
I bet none of you kids that talk **** have ever heard a real custom-tailored bandpass.....

I havent...

I thought I heard someone mention that they designed on that was loud as all hell but still sounded decent...

nweibley
02-05-2004, 03:57 PM
I have heard two completly custom bandpass boxes that took the builders alot of time to make.

One sounded extremly, and I do mean EXTREMLY loud in about a 7Hz range of freqs and manageable in other freqs, the other sounded just as awful as a regular prefab bandpass.

I guess if you know exactly what you are doing and you don't mind taking alot of time perfecting it, it can be a good thing for spl comps with a low # of woofers andor power... but still, I don't think they are worth it... espically not for any kind of install that will be a DD...

BigPanch
02-05-2004, 06:46 PM
so ported would be best for my subs

does it matter were you make the port and the size of the port? if so what size would be best and the best location

helotaxi
02-05-2004, 07:46 PM
You will NEVER hear me bad mouth a properly designed and built bandpass. I will never forget the head installers work at a shop in Ft Walton Beach, FL. This guy was amazing. The key to bandpass is designing the passband to both the strong suits of the of the driver and goals of the install. If the goal is to play rock music accurately and loudly, then you select the woofer and design the enclosure based on that goal. The one install that comes to mind was a Pathfinder with a 6th order BP for 4 Orion XTR 15's. The enclosure began about 18" behind the front seats and ran all the way through to within about 18" of the rear glass. The "rear chamber" was a common chamber in the center that vented between the front seats with a huge single port. Each sub then had its own "front chamber" along the sides of the enclosure and vented along the sides behind the seats. The owner only listened to rock music, and rock music sounded absolutely amazing at all volumes from this system and it got obscenely loud, especially for those days (early 90's) and in a daily driver. This beast was powered by a single 2100 HCCA for the subs and 2 225 HCCAs powering 2 MB Quart 5.25 sets in the doors and 3 pairs of MB Quart 6.5s doing midbass duty.

If all you have ever heard is the Obcon and Q-logic and other such trash bandpass enclosures, then you have never heard a bandpass. You can't just slap a woofer in a double chamber box and port one or both chambers and call it good. Good construction is just as important as good design, too. Mistune the enclosure just a fraction and not only will it sound like crap but you could destroy the woofers in the process. Bandpass can get really loud with limited power but with tons of power on tap they reach the physical limits of the woofer before they get as loud as a ported box and destroy the woofer, not by over excursion but by over-stressing the cone/former junction because the enclosure loading does not allow the cone to move as much as the motor is trying to move it. The more power you dump into it the harder it tries to move until a limit is exceeded: either the cone is rended in two, the junction between the cone and former separates or, in extreme cases the former buckles.

Are bandpass enclosures the "magic box" that they once were touted as? Far from it. Are they the worst possible thing imaginable? Again, far from it. Do they work well when properly designed and built with a certain application in mind? Like any type of enclosure, yes, they do.

Master Blaster
02-28-2004, 07:25 PM
Band pass enclosures do ****, they on the other hand have alot of output but in return they're very hard on your subs.. I say they **** b/c they're hard to build and a thorn in my *** when I make them + they have to be very large due to the sub being inside the box creats more displacment that I like ;)

I'd go ported and tuned to the standing wave in your car, cant go wrong there IMO

EarDrummin.
02-29-2004, 11:40 AM
Band pass enclosures do ****, they on the other hand have alot of output but in return they're very hard on your subs.. I say they **** b/c they're hard to build and a thorn in my *** when I make them + they have to be very large due to the sub being inside the box creats more displacment that I like ;)

I'd go ported and tuned to the standing wave in your car, cant go wrong there IMO

You pretty much just disregarded the long, elaborate specifics helotaxi just gave us. :)

Master Blaster
02-29-2004, 01:03 PM
You pretty much just disregarded the long, elaborate specifics helotaxi just gave us. :)

not really, I just have a different opion, if they were all that then you would see more in comps and I don't..

show me Certifited #s with BP enclosures...

blackbonnie
03-07-2007, 12:01 PM
after reading the prior post and then yours i literally feel dumber :laugh:

ill second that