PDA

View Full Version : Just bought CDT CL 61a

magic_wizard
01-17-2004, 06:36 PM
And hopefully the install will not be a headache. I know there are people on here who were able to fit them in their civic, so that gives me some hope.

bnbhoha
01-27-2004, 07:24 PM
I have a 97 civic and just finished installing these today. Took me 4 days to cut, drill and run wires (12 hours) What a pain in the Arse (I'm not an expert). If I had to do it again, I seriously wouldn't. The shop wanted $200 to install the speakers (cut out the plastic parts of the door and drill holes to run wire, but no install). I had to remove the door panels and use a jig saw to cut out the plastic and I couldn't get it perfect. I used putty to cover the holes around the speaker and put the factory grill on. The tweeters fit nice, but it took time to cut those holes as well. I am powering them with a USX2100 amp (100wx2).

They sound all right; I thought these were going to be the next best thing to sliced bread. Like I said, if I had to do it all over again, I would pass. I do get a satisfaction in knowing that I did everything myself. Good luck

p.s. by the way I used a 1 inch plastic spacer. You might want to try a half inch or 3/4 spacer first (MDF preferably). The bottom of my panel where the speaker is doesn't close/secure. I will have to drill a hole and screw it down on both sides

green_slip
01-27-2004, 07:43 PM
They sound all right; I thought these were going to be the next best thing to sliced bread.

What's wrong with them?? I bought some and they should be here soon. Should I send them back and get some Focal utopia's or what. I thought these speakers were awesome..let me know what you think. I would also consider getting the cl-hds i think from cdt.

slick rick
01-27-2004, 10:21 PM
What's wrong with them?? I bought some and they should be here soon. Should I send them back and get some Focal utopia's or what. I thought these speakers were awesome..let me know what you think. I would also consider getting the cl-hds i think from cdt.

i have them hooked up to a pionner 8500mp and people love them over my friends kappas. amp those *****es and they will be even better. trust me you will like them.

bnbhoha
01-27-2004, 11:17 PM
Don't pay too much attention to me. I'm a newbie and the last time I installed a car stereo in my system was 10 years ago in high school. I have them hooked to my USX2100 amp. I just thought they were going to be all that and they weren't (for me). But then again, I never really compared speakers so I'm definetely no expert. I bet though, if I had a subwoofer hooked up in the back, I would enjoy them more. They're plenty loud but I probably need to make adjustments on my HU and amp.

I put $650 in my entire system thus far (alpine 9807 HU, cdt-61, cdt-6x rear and USX 2100 amp, and wish I would have saved my money. I might as well go all the way now. I'm considering one 12" subowoofer (shiva, JL 12w3v2, kicker comps, or infinity Kappas) powered by another USX2100 amp (300 watt 1 channel rms power). Good luck

green_slip
01-27-2004, 11:27 PM
yea..that's what i thought. there's no way i'ma send these babies back i can't wait to hear 'em. but of course your going to need a sub for your low frequencies no speakers are gonna have a good low end.

slick rick
01-28-2004, 12:06 AM
Don't pay too much attention to me. I'm a newbie and the last time I installed a car stereo in my system was 10 years ago in high school. I have them hooked to my USX2100 amp. I just thought they were going to be all that and they weren't (for me). But then again, I never really compared speakers so I'm definetely no expert. I bet though, if I had a subwoofer hooked up in the back, I would enjoy them more. They're plenty loud but I probably need to make adjustments on my HU and amp.

I put $650 in my entire system thus far (alpine 9807 HU, cdt-61, cdt-6x rear and USX 2100 amp, and wish I would have saved my money. I might as well go all the way now. I'm considering one 12" subowoofer (shiva, JL 12w3v2, kicker comps, or infinity Kappas) powered by another USX2100 amp (300 watt 1 channel rms power). Good luck

you need a sub real bad. hwo do you like that amp?

bnbhoha
01-28-2004, 01:10 AM
I read the reviews here and at the other forum. Generally, most people were more than satisifed with it (this is the newer version with the blue light on top). It has 4 knobs, that's the only thing I don't like about it; I'd prefer only a gain button (this one has low level, high level, bass boost and a level button) To me an amp is an amp I don't know why people fork out so much money. I'm told it gets true wattage so I'm content with that. I'm the last person to give advice on this board, but overall I am somewhat satisfied and am glad I reade the reviews for the speakers and amp before buying something that truly indeed would have regretted.

slick rick
01-28-2004, 02:29 AM
I read the reviews here and at the other forum. Generally, most people were more than satisifed with it (this is the newer version with the blue light on top). It has 4 knobs, that's the only thing I don't like about it; I'd prefer only a gain button (this one has low level, high level, bass boost and a level button) To me an amp is an amp I don't know why people fork out so much money. I'm told it gets true wattage so I'm content with that. I'm the last person to give advice on this board, but overall I am somewhat satisfied and am glad I reade the reviews for the speakers and amp before buying something that truly indeed would have regretted.

how efficient is it? and where did you get it at?

Bill T.
01-28-2004, 02:58 AM
Ive had the CDT cL6a for about 4 months now. Its powered by a JL 300/4 and they sound totally awesome. Soon a XXX will be added to the mix.

Bill T.

slick rick
01-28-2004, 09:35 PM
Ive had the CDT cL6a for about 4 months now. Its powered by a JL 300/4 and they sound totally awesome. Soon a XXX will be added to the mix.

Bill T.

is there any way to adjust the xovers that came with the cdts?