PDA

View Full Version : who knows how components work? Need help with first set!

nissanrider06
07-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Hi I Havn't ever had a lot of extra money for car audio so i always just focused on subs cause thats what the hood rats in my projects like :yumyum: . But anyways

1.) How do they work exactly if a component set says 60 watts rms (120 pair) is that 60 watts for the mid and tweeter and 120 watts for all 4 speakers? Or by pair do they mean tweet and mid?

2.) If it says Impedance: 4 ohms. like most, Does that mean the tweeter and midbass are both 4 ohms, or does it mean your going to get a 4 ohm resistance from each output of the crossover?

3.)And if i am right 4 wires go into each crossover and 2 come out and go to the amp and then they could be bridged if they were 4 ohm set (2x4 ohm mids and 2x4 ohm tweets?)

Sorry this is my first venture into amping a component set and im trying to fully understand it. So i know what impedance speaker set I need and what power amp I need.

mossberg385t
07-19-2010, 06:15 PM
Blues Car Audio (http://www.bluescaraudio.com/main.html)

look into these, Ray Rayfield and Jeri McCord started blues back up as well as Linear Power, new amps should be on the market next year, all made in US

1) 60 rms per x-over
2)4ohms shown at x-over
3)run them at 4 ohms on a 2 channel amp, or if you have 4 sets get a 4 channel amp.

Skittles619
07-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Took me a minute to get past the avatar and read the post :P.
1.) 60 watts rms on the speaker means thats all you need to power both the mid and tweet, not 120.
2.)Again 4 ohms means both speakers have a 4 ohm resistance.
3.)A crossover has 2 input (+ and - that can come from an amp or HU, preferably an amp) 2 output to the mid 2 output to the tweet. Hope that helps

Rich B
07-19-2010, 06:16 PM
The watts are for each side (tweeter and mid).

Same with the ohms rating.

The crossover splits the signal, providing the tweeter and mid with the proper signal, thats why the 2 wires from the amp become 2 sets of wires out of the crossover.

nissanrider06
07-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Ok i get it the impedance is for the each pair of mid/tweet so 60 watts oer side, So really i want 8 ohm speakers so I can bridge them at 4 ohms...

KyleBechtold
07-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Ok i get it the impedance is for the each pair of mid/tweet so 60 watts oer side, So really i want 8 ohm speakers so I can bridge them at 4 ohms...

no.. You want a 4 ohm mid and 4 ohm tweeter. The crossover splits the signal.. it doesn't bridge the speakers.. so when 100 hz goes through it, it goes to the mids, 2500hz and it goes to the tweets.. etc etc..

FlexnInLa
07-19-2010, 07:47 PM
I'd save a little money and buy Hybrid Audio Techologies Imagine I61-2.