PDA

View Full Version : Needing Expert advice on a new head unit

Daladim
07-19-2010, 01:57 AM
Hi, I'm looking for something pretty specific, but I don't know if what I want is even made by anyone.

Here's what I want to do:

I want a head unit with a touch screen flip out LCD screen that can play audio and video. But I also want to be able to hook up my laptop to it and use the LCD screen as an external monitor.

What I would like to end up having is a set up where I can store my Laptop in a secure box and control it from the flip out screen via a touch screen driver installed on the laptop.

This would be used mainly for playing audio files through WinAmp, but I would also like to be able to browse the internet if need be. And no, this wouldn't be something I would play with while driving. I just want to have total control of the entire system all in one single unit.

Is there a head unit that will allow for this, or any modifications/adapter cables I can use to make this work? I would prefer to have a Pioneer unit, but I contacted them about this and they told me that none of their units have this capability.

So what's the down low on this? Is it even possible yet?

Side Show
07-19-2010, 03:40 AM
i havn't seen one that will enable you to use the touch screen to control your computer, most screens all have a video input, but you'll have to control it through the comp.... other option would be a car-puter (can get software for some touchscreens to work)

Daladim
07-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the carputer. I've never heard of that before. Doing research right now, but so far only getting confused.

The carputer may be the route I need to take for this project though, so thank you for informing me of it.