PDA

View Full Version : 2 pairs of front tweeters?

Big Ry
07-18-2010, 10:28 PM
i can never seem to get the highs i really want. i was thinking, what if i run 2 pairs of tweets up front in parallel on my PG xenon 200.4? it certainly would work, but how would it sound? i guess id put 2 in the stock location (on dash facing windshield) and perhaps 2 on the door panels or something. id have to get some beefier woofers though, but i think that might have to wait till i get more money.

fasfocus00
07-18-2010, 10:31 PM
why not put 2 behind your rear view mirror so no one will know?

Big Ry
07-18-2010, 10:33 PM
is that a joke?

galacticmonkey
07-18-2010, 10:41 PM
If you want loud *** tweeter, go over to partsexpress and order a pair of Selenium ST350s. Huge tweeters, but honestly, put them anywhere in the car and you will be set.

Big Ry
07-18-2010, 10:46 PM
i think those are a bit big, i dont know where id fit them. also, they arent car audio tweets, theyre probably not going to sound great in such a small environment.

galacticmonkey
07-18-2010, 10:47 PM
They sound awesome in cars. Check out the ST200s then. Much shallower.

goingdef
07-18-2010, 10:50 PM
Try a set of tweeters that have angled mounting cups install them on the a pillar right in front of you got's mines that way and have to run the eq in the -'s from 3.5khz up to keep from overpowering the 6.5's

Big Ry
07-18-2010, 11:07 PM
They sound awesome in cars. Check out the ST200s then. Much shallower.

Are there reviews for this type of application? And also, no offense but how do I know you even know what you're talking about? I don't recognize your username

Big Ry
07-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Try a set of tweeters that have angled mounting cups install them on the a pillar right in front of you got's mines that way and have to run the eq in the -'s from 3.5khz up to keep from overpowering the 6.5's

Way to far from the woofer, it'll sound like ****. I already hate having them in the dash.

headless
07-19-2010, 07:02 AM
What's your current configuration? Generally, adding more drivers is a bad idea if you are looking for quality of sound rather than simply 'loud'. Cancellation & phase issues can really cause havoc with your setup, especially if you don't have a ton of active channels for all of the drivers involved. It's almost always a better idea to fork out the $$$ for a good front set that can really deliver in both volume and clarity rather than trying to keep adding more drivers to the mix. Once again, assuming you want quality of sound rather than 'wow dawg that's loud.'

Most people here want 'wow dawg that's loud.' That's why you see all these setups using 20 drivers sprinkled all over the car, all running passive on 2 channels of amplification with no phase adjustment or time alignment. Don't let that fool you into thinking that's a good idea for quality of sound reproduction. Case in point; 1000w on 2 12's in my setup and my tweets are at -6db...setting them to 0db or +3db would be painful. More speakers adds a huge amount of hassle; you have to fit the new drivers, make sure they phase well and don't cause cancellation, get them amplification and then eq everything. Or you can just buy a better set of tweeters, feed them all the power you WOULD have fed 2 pairs of the crappier set...and not worry about installation and tweaking of 2 pairs.

FWIW, i'd be 10 times more likely to double up on your woofers than on the tweeters; multiple point sources for high frequencies is usually a recipe for disaster when it comes to quality of sound reproduction.

marcotheclepto
07-19-2010, 07:37 AM
ill vouch for the seleniums, many people have run them in the car.

subzero
07-19-2010, 08:05 AM
the tweeter ran...

galacticmonkey
07-19-2010, 02:01 PM
I know what Im talking about because Ive owned dozens of Selenium tweeters

It is a "pro audio" tweeter, but it still produces the same frequencies of a tweeter. They just built it to use in concerts and clubs and stuff. The only difference is efficiency. They are much much much louder. Its a $40 chance. Im not telling you to buy a pair of $300 bullshit Morel tweeters or something stupid like that.

If you want louder highs, you need a louder tweeter because what youre trying to do isnt working. I guarantee that a single Selenium tweeter on HU power would be louder than every other silk dome tweeter at full power put together.

Big Ry
07-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Ok, now I feel a little better. I know the phase shifts would be an issue...I'm just so fed up with mediocre highs...I said **** it! My cmx kicks active at 100w a piece weren't even close to enough. The only tweets I've seen that handle a lot of power are waaaay outta my price range.

So on these seleniums, how will they perform on the door panels facing perpendicular to the road? I highly highly doubt I can get em in the dash. ****...now that I think of it no more wires fit through my accords electrical boot connection in the door cause Honda's retarded...I'd have to run them passive with my cmx woods and makeshift covers to get em anywhere on the door.

Big Ry
07-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Sorry if that post made no sense, I'm on my Droid running on the treadmill now lol

headless
07-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Hate to say it, but if you want loud but sounds good, not just 'screaming loud', you're going to need a budget higher than a set of CMX kicks. Don't get me wrong, the CMX kicks set is a good set...it's just not designed around extreme volumes.

Lots of people will thumb their noses at paying more than 50$ for a speaker. Those people are probably not trying to build a car that sounds good; only one that gets loud. It's all about your priorities. Not saying you can't get good results cheaply, if you have good processing and a lot of time and expertise with tuning, but most people don't have the equipment to get things set properly when running multiple pairs of tweeters... just as you typed; you're already fighting just to get what you already have installed in your car.

Just saying, you get what you pay for (to an extent). What is your subwoofer soundstage composed of?

JL Audio
07-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Ok, now I feel a little better. I know the phase shifts would be an issue...I'm just so fed up with mediocre highs...I said **** it! My cmx kicks active at 100w a piece weren't even close to enough. The only tweets I've seen that handle a lot of power are waaaay outta my price range.

So on these seleniums, how will they perform on the door panels facing perpendicular to the road? I highly highly doubt I can get em in the dash. ****...now that I think of it no more wires fit through my accords electrical boot connection in the door cause Honda's retarded...I'd have to run them passive with my cmx woods and makeshift covers to get em anywhere on the door.

imagine me trying to fit 48 of those ST350s in my astro with a wall right behind the front seats..

fun times, sold them all on here for the cheap too.

Big Ry
07-20-2010, 12:33 AM
Hate to say it, but if you want loud but sounds good, not just 'screaming loud', you're going to need a budget higher than a set of CMX kicks. Don't get me wrong, the CMX kicks set is a good set...it's just not designed around extreme volumes.

Lots of people will thumb their noses at paying more than 50$ for a speaker. Those people are probably not trying to build a car that sounds good; only one that gets loud. It's all about your priorities. Not saying you can't get good results cheaply, if you have good processing and a lot of time and expertise with tuning, but most people don't have the equipment to get things set properly when running multiple pairs of tweeters... just as you typed; you're already fighting just to get what you already have installed in your car.

Just saying, you get what you pay for (to an extent). What is your subwoofer soundstage composed of?
yes, im aware of this. thats what it comes down to..priorities...thats why ive been running a half blown front stage for 1.5 years. im a full time grad student working 2 jobs to support myself and still not being able to do so because of unforeseen medical issues and no health insurance :/ so i think cheap fix = best. i just cant take it anymore...having no highs is like having no music.

so how do these pro speakers perform off axis? were talking like nearly 90 degrees here for the drivers side too lol. if they cant be that far off axis, what is a good place? i have a 2003 accord coupe if that helps. also, can these be crossed low enough to couple with my existing mid-bass drivers (and/or future replacement mid-bass drivers)?

my substage is 2 Fi Q's sealed running off a USAmps M2D2. i need to build a new box too btw, output sux. rear deck has rainbow SL69's running of source unit. source unit is pioneer 9800BT. and the current front stage is active on a PG xenon 200.4 and crossed with a memphis... 16x03 i believe it is.

Big Ry
07-20-2010, 12:35 AM
why in God's name would you put 48 supertweeters in an astro van? lol trying to have your van double as a concert venue? lol

Big Ry
07-20-2010, 12:49 AM
i just noticed in the specs they say "musical program" = 2 x WRMS...WTF? i hate when companies do this. well regardless, there sensitivity is REALLY high. they also say to run passive, so is my memphis out? id need some xovers too then :/

so are there comparable car audio tweets around the same price? and can anyone comment on SQ compared to my rainbows (or at least a familiar lower end comp set).

3-way setup with supertweet, mid-ramge horn, and woof?

Big Ry
07-21-2010, 09:22 PM
any feedback on SQ? also, recommendation on similar woofers (cheap but get loud with decent SQ)?

Mattd0344
07-21-2010, 09:27 PM
any feedback on SQ? also, recommendation on similar woofers (cheap but get loud with decent SQ)?

I love my CDT HD-62CF woofers...

Big Ry
07-21-2010, 09:30 PM
I love my CDT HD-62CF woofers...

are you going to sell me yours for $50?

reclessantics
07-22-2010, 06:22 PM
I have 2 sets of components in my truck (1500 silverado ext cab) I mounted the door speakers in their spots, but took both pairs of tweeters and mounted them on the dash, about where the bottom of the windshield meets the top of dash board. shits so so dirty. have all components hooked up to an audiocontrol 3.1 that i put on my ceiling. so when i really want to make the highs cut, just turn the highs knob and its crystal.

thisistiny
07-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Try these? Never owned one myself, but heard great things about'em.

Crescendo Audio :: Tweeters :: XST2 Supertweeter (http://www.crescendoaudio.com/product.php?productid=17521&cat=0&bestseller=Y)

Big Ry
07-22-2010, 07:58 PM
I have 2 sets of components in my truck (1500 silverado ext cab) I mounted the door speakers in their spots, but took both pairs of tweeters and mounted them on the dash, about where the bottom of the windshield meets the top of dash board. shits so so dirty. have all components hooked up to an audiocontrol 3.1 that i put on my ceiling. so when i really want to make the highs cut, just turn the highs knob and its crystal.
I like the idea of easy control like that. Is that AC 3.1 an epicenter too to add bass where needed? I been thinking about getting an epicenter.

Big Ry
07-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Try these? Never owned one myself, but heard great things about'em.

Crescendo Audio :: Tweeters :: XST2 Supertweeter (http://www.crescendoaudio.com/product.php?productid=17521&cat=0&bestseller=Y)

Seems almost identical to the seleniums. But it seems the seleniums have been around longer, so I'd be more inclined to try them to be honest.

T3mpest
07-24-2010, 05:38 AM
There is no difference between a pro audio speaker and a car audio one in terms of engineering for a car. You can't magically make a tweeter work better in a vehicle. The difference between car audio and pro audio speakers is that in pro audio you actually get what you pay for as things generally arent' marked up 500% to take advantage of stupid teenage kids. Also pro audio speakers will take abuse better and generally get ALOT louder. Anyone not running pro audio speakers in their car if they require high volume levels is an idiot. They can sound very good if implemented properly, just as car audio speakers sometimes can, it's install and tuning dependent. Many of the best SQ cars utilize pro audio drivers. I'd put my fronstage up against any SQ car on this forum, granted their arent many lol. Depth out to the hood, width past pillars and capable of peaks of around 120db's, so concert level volume. If your just dropping into place with no EQ abiltiy then SQ is a crap shoot either way, might as well get something that will be louder. A single set of PA tweeters will be louder than two sets of regular car audio tweets, actually if you add another amp each time you'll need 4 sets of them actually, so 8 tweeters.

Anyway if you want anther option than the seleniums B&C DE35 Neodymium Mylar Bullet Tweeter | Parts-Express.com (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=294-580). These cost a bit more and are probably a little nicer. B&C generally makes very good products. I've used several of their compression drivers and had good results even with their lower end stuff.

harveyjerry
07-26-2010, 07:22 AM
Try a set of tweeters, which angle cups install on a pillar in front of you but I have mine that way and having to run the EQ I -s from 3.5 kHz up to avoid overloading s 6.5.

Big Ry
07-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Wow, I been so busy I havent been able to get on my computer at all! Well I decided that I should go with the cheapest option given my current financial situation. I just ordered 2 of the Selenium ST200's. They don't quite have the same specs as the 350's, but they have slightly better reviews and are half the price.

Now, I just need a decent pair of woofs to match these tweets :)

emilimo701
07-26-2010, 10:55 PM
What's your current configuration? Generally, adding more drivers is a bad idea if you are looking for quality of sound rather than simply 'loud'. Cancellation & phase issues can really cause havoc with your setup, especially if you don't have a ton of active channels for all of the drivers involved. It's almost always a better idea to fork out the $$$ for a good front set that can really deliver in both volume and clarity rather than trying to keep adding more drivers to the mix. Once again, assuming you want quality of sound rather than 'wow dawg that's loud.'

Most people here want 'wow dawg that's loud.' That's why you see all these setups using 20 drivers sprinkled all over the car, all running passive on 2 channels of amplification with no phase adjustment or time alignment. Don't let that fool you into thinking that's a good idea for quality of sound reproduction. Case in point; 1000w on 2 12's in my setup and my tweets are at -6db...setting them to 0db or +3db would be painful. More speakers adds a huge amount of hassle; you have to fit the new drivers, make sure they phase well and don't cause cancellation, get them amplification and then eq everything. Or you can just buy a better set of tweeters, feed them all the power you WOULD have fed 2 pairs of the crappier set...and not worry about installation and tweaking of 2 pairs.

FWIW, i'd be 10 times more likely to double up on your woofers than on the tweeters; multiple point sources for high frequencies is usually a recipe for disaster when it comes to quality of sound reproduction.

There is no difference between a pro audio speaker and a car audio one in terms of engineering for a car. You can't magically make a tweeter work better in a vehicle. The difference between car audio and pro audio speakers is that in pro audio you actually get what you pay for as things generally arent' marked up 500% to take advantage of stupid teenage kids. Also pro audio speakers will take abuse better and generally get ALOT louder. Anyone not running pro audio speakers in their car if they require high volume levels is an idiot. They can sound very good if implemented properly, just as car audio speakers sometimes can, it's install and tuning dependent. Many of the best SQ cars utilize pro audio drivers. I'd put my fronstage up against any SQ car on this forum, granted their arent many lol. Depth out to the hood, width past pillars and capable of peaks of around 120db's, so concert level volume. If your just dropping into place with no EQ abiltiy then SQ is a crap shoot either way, might as well get something that will be louder. A single set of PA tweeters will be louder than two sets of regular car audio tweets, actually if you add another amp each time you'll need 4 sets of them actually, so 8 tweeters.

Anyway if you want anther option than the seleniums B&C DE35 Neodymium Mylar Bullet Tweeter | Parts-Express.com (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=294-580). These cost a bit more and are probably a little nicer. B&C generally makes very good products. I've used several of their compression drivers and had good results even with their lower end stuff.

guys, maybe you can help me out. my problem (http://www.caraudio.com/forum/speakers/482627-ive-had-enough-im-going-active.html) is that i want my music louder, but i don't want to sacrifice too much on sound quality. eventually when i get a new car, i might toy with the idea of running multiple sets of components, running actively crossed over speakers, or both. from a money standpoint, would it be silly to run multiple high end component sets in parallel? i'd love to be able to achieve my desired loudness with just one set of comps... i was thinking of getting a set of JBL c608's because for power handling it doesn't get much better than that. And if ~200 watts RMS on those still isn't enough, I guess that would be my answer: needing to run multiple components. But as you guys said, they take a lot of tweaking -- phase alignment, equalization, etc. What would you recommend for a n00b wanting to take on a project like this? Doubling up (putting two sets of components per door), running passive, and putting the tweeters as close to each other as possible could be a solution. Or would you recommend running active nomatter what? And if running active, do people ever have just one tweeter, and two woofers?

emilimo701
07-26-2010, 11:48 PM
marked up 500% to take advantage of stupid teenage kids

what products are marked up 500%?

BassnTruck
07-27-2010, 06:08 AM
We used to get a number of people come in wanting that "ting" sound. Install these with 45-80 watts and your ears will bleed. No joke.
Pyramid TW67 - Tweeters - Sonic Electronix (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10306_Pyramid+TW67+-Priced+Per+Tweeter-.html)

Big Ry
07-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Well the tweets are set now but can anyone recommend some pro audio woods to compliment these tweets and provide a nice flat response in a 2 way active setup?

Big Ry
07-27-2010, 08:09 PM
I meant woofers

reclessantics
07-27-2010, 09:48 PM
I like the idea of easy control like that. Is that AC 3.1 an epicenter too to add bass where needed? I been thinking about getting an epicenter.

yeah it has a bass knob, and sweep, gain ect. i love it because its a real bass knob lol and i can adjust everything easily, say from song to song if i really waant, or if i want to turn up a certain tone, like some guitar or vocals or cymbals, or bass. its the ****

Big Ry
07-27-2010, 10:52 PM
I am very interested in an epicenter, but unfortunately its just too much money for me right now...maybe in the next 2-3 years when im done grad school :(

Big Ry
07-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Wtf am I supposed to do with these tweeters!!??

I just got em today, they're HUGE!!! There's nowhere to fit em.

BassnTruck
07-30-2010, 12:13 PM
The specs for these are on every page I looked at.

Specifications: *Power handling: 70 watts RMS/140 watts program (above 5,000 Hz) *Dispersion: 40 H x 40 V *VCdia: 1.75" *Impedance: 8 ohms *Frequency response: 2,000-20,000 Hz *SPL: 105 dB 1W/1m *Magnet weight: 7.72 oz. *Dimensions: 4.88" H x 4.53" W x 2.4" D. *Weight: 1.65 lbs.

You want lots of tweet ya got to pay the price. You can make anything work just need to know how much skill you have to attempt it. Sounds like some custom pods or panels are in your future.

Big Ry
07-30-2010, 07:08 PM
The specs for these are on every page I looked at.

Specifications: *Power handling: 70 watts RMS/140 watts program (above 5,000 Hz) *Dispersion: 40 H x 40 V *VCdia: 1.75" *Impedance: 8 ohms *Frequency response: 2,000-20,000 Hz *SPL: 105 dB 1W/1m *Magnet weight: 7.72 oz. *Dimensions: 4.88" H x 4.53" W x 2.4" D. *Weight: 1.65 lbs.

You want lots of tweet ya got to pay the price. You can make anything work just need to know how much skill you have to attempt it. Sounds like some custom pods or panels are in your future.

I saw the specs. I figured I could just trim the plastic baffle and deal with the rest. Little did I know the friggin magnet itself is like 4" wide. And the plastic baffle essentially goes all the way back to be flush with the magnet for some odd reason.

I know I could fit these...ive done a custom glass job on my old blazer for a set of comps, but i reeeally didnt want to go chopping up my door panels in my accord, its still in pretty decent shape, so looking relatively stock is kinda important. Kicks are out of the question given the size of these. The drivers side kick has a hood release in the middle of it. And even if I could squeeze them in, I'm almost positive they'd interfere with me shifting. Despite all this, I still considered custom door panels, but on the way home I realized that Id need to invest a good chunk of $$$ for MDF, glass/resin, sandpaper, paint/leather, etc. It basically defeats the purpose of me buying cheap drivers in the first place. I'm thinking I should find some smaller tweets now, either car audio tweets, or reasonably sized PA tweets. I can save these for a bookshelf set or a custom ghetto-rigged tailgate setup for VT football games lol.

Here's the ST200 and what I have to work with in my car in terms of placement...

ST200 with standard credit card sized Giant card for comparison
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z71/rfehr613/CameraZOOM-20100729184629.jpg

Stock tweet location in dash. Anyone know what that red thing is? Ive had my car for over 3 years and I still dont know. It lights up in alternating red LEDs when I press the clutch (picture nightrider). Im thinking some aftermarket ricer thing from the previous owner, but I'm not into that scene, so I'm ignorant to the hardware involved.
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z71/rfehr613/CameraZOOM-20100730183042.jpg

Driver side
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z71/rfehr613/CameraZOOM-20100730183058.jpg

Passenger side
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z71/rfehr613/CameraZOOM-20100730183118.jpg
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z71/rfehr613/CameraZOOM-20100730183206.jpg

aquafire
07-30-2010, 07:28 PM

Thank you for the first sensible reply here!

BassnTruck
07-30-2010, 08:50 PM
I think you could make a pod next to the mid in the pocket pretty easy that if done right would not have to buy any leather or such.
As for the thing on your dash it is a DEI LED device for an alarm.

Big Ry
07-31-2010, 06:57 PM
I think you could make a pod next to the mid in the pocket pretty easy that if done right would not have to buy any leather or such.
As for the thing on your dash it is a DEI LED device for an alarm.

ah, ok. The car DOES have an alarm, so that makes sense. but why on earth does it only light up when i press the clutch?

as for those pods, i think id still have to hack the panels to get those monsters in there. i dont think i could even throw them in there as is without ANY box lol. also, my big-*** leg is out of the way for the pick. in its natural position it totally blocks the path to the ear unless i were to mount it sortof above the mid.

papermaker
07-31-2010, 09:18 PM
you need to keep all your driver as close to each other and on axis as possible.. otherwise your frequency response will simply never be flat.. your going to have peaks and valleys from cancallation.. if you do run 2 sets of tweeters put them in the same location.. seriously its not hard to take a peace of wood make cutouts screw it to the dash and then add one layer of glass to make it blend.. it would take like 4 or 5 hours including the glass.. not to mention its going to sound much better get much louder and save you money..

Big Ry
07-31-2010, 09:24 PM
you need to keep all your driver as close to each other and on axis as possible.. otherwise your frequency response will simply never be flat.. your going to have peaks and valleys from cancallation.. if you do run 2 sets of tweeters put them in the same location.. seriously its not hard to take a peace of wood make cutouts screw it to the dash and then add one layer of glass to make it blend.. it would take like 4 or 5 hours including the glass.. not to mention its going to sound much better get much louder and save you money..
Thanks, captain obvious. I know this. If you'd read the whole thread, you'd realize that money is a big problem here, not time or skill. The whole double tweeter thing was me being pissed off that day because I heard me one tweeter crackling. I'm still pissed I forked out $350 for those and they didn't even take rated power, let alone come close to being loud. But I know how to do a correct install. The reason everything is mounted stock now is listed in a previous post...as is the reason that I have hacked anything to pieces yet.

papermaker
07-31-2010, 09:28 PM
so what your saying iss you cannot afford this project?
you want a tweeter that is going to be stupid loud but you want one smaller than 2"s?
your not going to find a sound Q tweeter that takes 100RMS 1" LARGE and thats going to get 130bd.. im sorry but its not going to happen.. this is why irecommend increasing SD by adding another set of tweeters...

Big Ry
07-31-2010, 09:41 PM
so what your saying iss you cannot afford this project?
you want a tweeter that is going to be stupid loud but you want one smaller than 2"s?
your not going to find a sound Q tweeter that takes 100RMS 1" LARGE and thats going to get 130bd.. im sorry but its not going to happen.. this is why irecommend increasing SD by adding another set of tweeters...

again if youd read the thread, youd see my situation. im not the typical CA.com teenager saying "yo dawg, i want my ears to bleed, but i want dem to bleed to some high quality soundz!" ive been running this f***ed set of rainbows for years now...literally ive had no sound on the left side for a couple years....im just sick of it now. ive been to broke to do anything, but i cant freakin take it. i can get something good cheap, i know i can, it's just going to take some research...hence this thread.

galacticmonkey
08-04-2010, 09:12 PM
I have some DB Drive bullets. They would fit in your doors. Send me a PM and Ill get you pics.

Big Ry
08-04-2010, 10:23 PM
i got tweets now, and i got bullet tweets too lol

headless
08-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Wtf am I supposed to do with these tweeters!!??

I just got em today, they're HUGE!!! There's nowhere to fit em.

I told you so ;)

Big Ry
08-05-2010, 09:21 PM
I told you so ;)

now im thinking mounted in the underbody or perhaps trunk lid for the ultimate tailgate setup :D

headless
08-05-2010, 10:04 PM
now im thinking mounted in the underbody or perhaps trunk lid for the ultimate tailgate setup :D

yeah, that'll sound great dawg. go for it.

Louisiana_CRX
08-05-2010, 10:07 PM

That will be cool :cool:

T3mpest
08-05-2010, 10:22 PM
If your going to run active and want loud get just get pro audio drivers and be done with it. You can get the drivers for a decent price and be much louder than even 2 sets of components. The drivers I'm using cost about 800 total and are high end PA drivers, that total could drop to under 100 if you really needed it too. At any pricepoint your looking at a MUCH better value than car audio drivers. I'd put my equipment up against anything CA has to offer easily. I've messed with the image dynamics gear alot. My tweeters are their horn bodies with the drivers they rebadge to make the cd-2 neo's. That's a 900 set of speakers right there in car audio, I think I paid under 500 total and again, the CA brand horn was the expensive part. I ran the XS mids as well, the 69's for abotu 6 months. I paid WELL under retail for them new (250) and the full on PA mids I replaced them with are still a good step up and I got those straight from the US distributor for 300. The XS's were being pushed to the ragged edge with the 250 watts I had on them. Now that I have 8 ohm drivers my new speakers only get about 150. They are still considerably louder and alot cleaner at high volumes since they are only at like 3/4 RMS in the first place. I could get the XS's to smell and they still didnt' provide that kind of output. All that being said, the XS mids were still the loudest actual mids for car audio I ever played with and had the best midbass. Even vs some SUPER overpriced "SQ" gear (looking at you focal)

Big Ry
08-05-2010, 10:32 PM
yeah, that'll sound great dawg. go for it.

obviously you cant comprehend that i wouldnt be going for SQ with a TAILGATE setup

Big Ry
08-05-2010, 10:39 PM
If your going to run active and want loud get just get pro audio drivers and be done with it. You can get the drivers for a decent price and be much louder than even 2 sets of components. The drivers I'm using cost about 800 total and are high end PA drivers, that total could drop to under 100 if you really needed it too. At any pricepoint your looking at a MUCH better value than car audio drivers. I'd put my equipment up against anything CA has to offer easily. I've messed with the image dynamics gear alot. My tweeters are their horn bodies with the drivers they rebadge to make the cd-2 neo's. That's a 900 set of speakers right there in car audio, I think I paid under 500 total and again, the CA brand horn was the expensive part. I ran the XS mids as well, the 69's for abotu 6 months. I paid WELL under retail for them new (250) and the full on PA mids I replaced them with are still a good step up and I got those straight from the US distributor for 300. The XS's were being pushed to the ragged edge with the 250 watts I had on them. Now that I have 8 ohm drivers my new speakers only get about 150. They are still considerably louder and alot cleaner at high volumes since they are only at like 3/4 RMS in the first place. I could get the XS's to smell and they still didnt' provide that kind of output. All that being said, the XS mids were still the loudest actual mids for car audio I ever played with and had the best midbass. Even vs some SUPER overpriced "SQ" gear (looking at you focal)
this is what ive been hearing, which is why i was so interested. i have a $30 gift card to amazon, so im thinking about picking up those selenium mids. then i could put a selenium PA setup up against the diamond hexs i just bought, my CMX kicks, and the seas textiles and several other CA setups ive owned. i want to see (hear) what PA setups are all about...just gotta fit it in there somehow lol

Big Ry
08-10-2010, 11:07 PM
well i finally got the seas in tonight. i honestly expected more. i cant seem to get th EQ right. it is rather raspy and bright. and i have everything above like 2k at -4 at least. i didnt get a whole lot of time to mess around because i had to go in because i got work early. and i just did an eyeball TA job. perhaps backing down the gains would help. i thought that textiles werent typically bright, similar to silks. was i misinformed here?

galacticmonkey
08-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Textile is silk.

The Selenium 6s would be great with a good bullet. Did you ever hook up the ST200s to hear them? I would think that they would go together rather well.

If you want a setup out back for some sound, just tweets alone wont sound good. You would need to get the Selenium D250-X with the long throw horn to play vocals well.

papermaker
08-11-2010, 10:16 PM
i just installed my ES02s and there freaking amazing.. there abit too inefficient for your install but on aixs there freaking loud.. i have about 110 clean to them and they don't break a sweat.. i have to say other than maybe a hand full of super highend tweeters like the focal utopias there the best sounding tweeter ive yet to hear.. easily surpasses any 1" tweeters midrange detail depth and output.. too bad you want to go freaking deaf and not enjoy the bliss...

Big Ry
08-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Textile is silk.

The Selenium 6s would be great with a good bullet. Did you ever hook up the ST200s to hear them? I would think that they would go together rather well.

If you want a setup out back for some sound, just tweets alone wont sound good. You would need to get the Selenium D250-X with the long throw horn to play vocals well.
textile is silk? i always thought it was ceramic? dont they use ceremaics for sound reproduction? ill be ****ed. well anyways, i messed with the EQ for like a **** hour trying to get things right. i basically have to keep anything between 3k-5k at -6 just to bear it. theyre sounding pretty good now, but they dont have the output i expected. i know i still have a nuked mid, so thats going to play a role in the output and EQing, could be all head games for all i know. i have them on the dash in swivle cups, directly on axis. ill have the diamonds i ordered next week and im about to get the selenium mids on amazon now. so after a week of these, ill throw the diamonds in. depending on how that goes, i may or may not be using the seas again. i want to try the selenium mids too. maybe left side selenium and right side DA for a side-by-side comparison? lol

i threw one ST200 onto my buddy's roommates sony 7.1 receiver. im not sure of the model, but it was a little dated but it still does 100W/channel. i didnt use any filter either :uhoh: but i only let it play for 5 seconds or so. it wasnt very loud to be honest (compared to his towers), but the again i didnt touch any settings on the receiver to see what was up.

if i end up doing a tailgate setup, i probably wouldnt mount anything under the car. it'd make more sense to simply build boxes with some mids in them and an xover. so i may do that with whatever mid/tweet combo i end up not using in my car.

BassnTruck
08-13-2010, 02:49 AM
At this point Ryan D. Fehr, M.S. Candidate I really think you should just give it up. This has turned into a really bad soap.

Big Ry
08-13-2010, 06:34 AM
Well someone obviously got their ******* in a bunch

RAM_Designs
08-13-2010, 07:57 AM
That B&C tweeter would be nicer if the response didn't drop like a brick below 4khz.

BassnTruck
08-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Well someone obviously got their ******* in a bunch

You know my wife?