PDA

View Full Version : Please Help me understand my headunit

mikemikemike
07-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Here is the manual for a Pioneer DEH-P4900ib.
RADIO MANUAL (http://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fa248.e.akamai.net%2Fpix.cr utchfield.com%2FManuals%2F130%2F130DEHP490.PDF)

From what I can tell, this HU has a HP filter for my speakers and a LP filter for my subs.

Can anyone confirm that I am reading this correctly please?

HP filter ---- Page 20 of the PDF (Using the high pass filter)
What I believe to be LP filter page 19 bottom right of the PDF (Adjusting the Subwoofer settings)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

IF THIS HU has both filters, should I use headunit filters over my amps filter? The amp only has a LP cut off of 80 non-adjustable

AlterEgo99
07-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Use the filters on the amps.

mikemikemike
07-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Even though the amp is 80hz lp cutoff non-adjustable?

mikemikemike
07-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Bumpzors for still needing help please

DarkScorpion
07-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Yes, this headunit hass a HPF for your speakers, and a LPF for your subwoofer. I would set them both to the same frequency for the sake of simplicity (as in, set the HPF and LPF to the same frequency). Depending on how low front components can play, I would stick to either 63hz or 80hz.

If you decide to use the filters on your headunit, make sure to disable the filters on your amplifier

mikemikemike
07-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the prompt response.

Would you suggest HU filters over amps?

Also why would I not want to set lp to 63 and hp to 80? (I am not challenging your suggestion, merely trying to understand it)

DarkScorpion
07-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the prompt response.

Would you suggest HU filters over amps?

Also why would I not want to set lp to 63 and hp to 80? (I am not challenging your suggestion, merely trying to understand it)

Well, nothing bad would happen. Worst that would happen is that there is a slight dip in response in that gap area, but depending on the slopes of the cutoffs, you probably won't even hear it (assuming it's 12db/octave). A lot of people actually do that when they're putting together mids and tweets for various reasons. In this situation, I say match them just because it's simpler.

Some people like to do a 80hz LPF for the subs, and 100hz HPF for the mids so they can get more volume/less distortion out of the mids at high volumes if they're running off of HU power alone.

I'd go with the HU filters - easier to manipulate

mikemikemike
07-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Ok, thanks so much for your quick and informative help.

DarkScorpion
07-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Ok, thanks so much for your quick and informative help.

No problem. There is a button you can click to thank me :thumbsup:

mikemikemike
07-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Was just about to do that when I noticed you posted. But yes definitely thank worthy, thanks again.