PDA

View Full Version : Glassing the Radio Dvd screen Bezel

DannyD
01-15-2004, 02:55 PM
After getting some answeres about Glassing my radio, Dvd screen, today I decided to go down to Pep boys and get the Resin, bondo body filler, and hardner (already had the fiberglass mat). When I reached the shelves that contained these items I was dworfed by the numerous different kinds of bondo resin/body filler,hardner. Soooo I guess my guestion is which of these 500 different kinds is the right combo to use?
I just want to start on my bezel so that the dvd screen can fit........ :banghead:

So if anyone could hook me up with the right info that would be great...im bored and want to start sorry for weining to you guys . I know once i know what to get I can go to town. Thanks Guys !!!!

I want it to look similar to this pic of a 94-98 mustang (which is what I have)

Before
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=www.carmemories.com/images/dbimages/1961.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.carmemories.com/cgi-bin/viewzoom.cgi%3Fimage%3D1961&h=998&w=649&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmustang%2Bdash%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den %26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8

After
http://www.caraudiomag.com/v_features/0310cae_saleenmustang/index.html

PopcornPlaya
01-15-2004, 04:18 PM
if this is your first time working with fiberglass (im assuming it is one of the first being as you are asking what type of stuff to get) might i suggest that you practice before starting this project. while it may look easy, from experiance, it isn't the first couple or ten times you try to fabricate something. as you practice you'll start to learn how much resin -vs- hardner you'll need, etc. also, you wouldn't want to start out your first time on your actual trim pieces, because if you mess up, you may have to start over, and then you'd have to locate those oem pieces to work with from parts suppliers, junk yards, whatever.

DannyD
01-15-2004, 06:46 PM
Yeah , it is going to be my first time glassing. I have been reading alot and talking in different forums and have a bunch of the online pictorials on it. I do have an extra bezel that I will be practicing on first.
I believe that I have the general just of thing but like you said I should practice a coupletimes.....Thats why I want to make sure I use the correct types. If anyone has some suggestions Id appreciate it and I appreciate your feedback thanks

_MstANg_
01-15-2004, 07:00 PM
on the before image.. that doesnt look like a 94-98 because i didnt think they had the 6 disc til 99 or 2000?

rocktonic13
01-15-2004, 08:01 PM
i dont think that was the point... i think the point was just to show an idea of what a stock one looks like, then what he wants done...

PopcornPlaya
01-15-2004, 08:44 PM
reading and doing are two different things. it takes a lot of skill and practice to fiberglass interior pieces. here is what i use when glassing/bondoing.

i prefer surfboard resin for my glass, mainly because its clear. but, no where around her locally has it, i have to order it from www.tapplastics.com if it is something i need done in a hurry, i will use whatever resin is available locally which is usually bondo brand. its like 6 bucks a quart and 25 a gallon. where as tap surfboard is 11.30 a qt, and 36.75 per gallon. but, thats what i like, so i pay the extra. as for fillers, i prefer to use marson lightweight filler, if its not available, i will use bondo brand lightweight filler. then, for a finish coat, i like to apply a glazing putty, to fill in pores and holes that may occur in the drying process.

DannyD
01-15-2004, 10:15 PM
Yeah the before picture is a 99+ I have a 97 GT convert..... it was the only picture I could find. As for glassing it I hear what popcornplaya is saying how it is difficult. I plan on practicing alot before actually making the final product.I actually have glassed boats before helping some friends do it, but I didn;t remember what brands they used. I will make some junk boxes or something to just throw out to start of with. Its too cold right now around here anyways. I appreciate hearing what you have to say and hearing what products you use.
I already have the radio bezel cut in the middle for where the screen will go still have to sand the ***** out of it though. I have to cut out the tabs in back that hold the Climte control pannel and then figure how I am going to hold the screen in place. I guess im just going to have to mess around and draw some things out

ramos
01-16-2004, 09:00 AM
Whoaa ....... that's a pretty ambitous first project. It can be done. But seriously practice first. There are two ways of going about it. THe ghetto slap some bondo hair on the plastic and sand it to the shape you want. Or you can make a mold and "Manufacture" the bezel. The reason I say manfacture the piece is, once you get the mold just right and create the piece. You can re-create more of them for others who have the same vehicle $$$$$$$$$$$

ramos
01-16-2004, 09:06 AM
Flexible radio back straps work quite well to hold the screen in place. Products i would use ..... a light weight mat, maybe one layer of cloth on top. Then I would use some lite body filler ( i'm a lazy b!tch that doesn't like sanding :D ) And smooth everything out. Doesn't take much material to accomplish what your after. Just alot of patience . :)

DannyD
01-16-2004, 10:49 AM
ok this is how I was going to go about it.....After sanding it I was going to first make a little frame inside the bezel out of mdf for the screen then glue some fleece down for the desired look......soak it in resin..let dry..then about 2 layers of glass..sand,sand,sand...filler..sand,sand,sand...p rimer

So you are saying I would be better off using the fleece with body filler...then sanding

DannyD
01-16-2004, 09:49 PM
is that right ?

ramos
01-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Yeah pretty much what you said. But I don't think you will need two layers of mat. You will end up using some body filler no matter what you do. The key is use as little as possible body filler by itself has little to no strength. :)

DannyD
01-20-2004, 03:36 PM
Great......I think I will get to it this weekend...I am very excited.
I will do a couple junk things then by afternoon I will get started on the Bezel.

I will let everyone know how it comes out ....I will probely need somewhere like this to vent my frustrations hahahah

ramos
01-21-2004, 09:47 AM
Take your time and don't rush. And enjoy the wonderful smell. :)