PDA

View Full Version : speaker repair from thermal damage

Big Ry
07-02-2010, 05:12 PM
can typical speakers be repaired when damaged thermally? well, obviously they can...i guess my question is...can you purchase the parts? is it possible to buy the insulated coil wire for specific woofers/subs/etc? i have nuked woofers that id like to repair.

also, is it possible to increase power handling (assuming the extra wounds of wire fit)? and can this be done with tweeters? im unfamiliar which tweeter mechanics.

fasfocus00
07-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Fix My Speaker - Custom Subwoofer Rebuilds, Repairs, and Supplies! (http://www.fixmyspeaker.com), there are also a few guys here like ssackett and woofercooker that do recone kits. not sure what subs you got but some are either not worth it or not able to.

Haunz
07-02-2010, 06:36 PM
What size are the speakers ? Few people recone anything that isn't a subwoofer...

But having said that I should be able to get the parts you would need...

Tweeters are only repairable if the manufacturer offers replacement diaphrams.. its not uncommon, but most tweeters are throw aways..

Big Ry
07-03-2010, 01:23 PM
i was refering to speakers in general, but i do have some nuked components which was the reason for the thread. one of my CMX kicks's woofers is toasted, and both tweeters are toast. well one tweet is toast, the other is kinda on and off lol. its been nothing but problems since i got these comps. admittedly, the first go, i threw 200W at each, but that was because everyone and their mother said they could handle it with ease. this includes the scamming ***hole "rainbow dealer" that sold em to me **cough**PremierAudio**cough**. anyway, 6 months later when i finally got them back from supposed warranty replacement by Rainbow (PremierAudio probably just ganked someone elses CMXs), i put them in running recommended RMS power. they basically **** on me just as quickly as the last time. theyve been at their current semi-working state for a good 2 years or so if not more. I been too busy and broke to do anything about it. I was just going to pick up some Pro60's or a similar bang-for-the-buck set that can handle the power my PG is capable of, but it just occured to me that'd it'd probably be much much cheaper to simply fix them. so basically, i need the VC wires for CMX Kick 265's and CMX tweets (or better tweets if reasonably priced).

Haunz
07-03-2010, 01:30 PM
I can get you voice coils, spiders, cones, ect.. but I'd need the softparts out of one speaker so I can take some measurments..

PM me..

Big Ry
07-09-2010, 06:40 AM
Bump for more input