PDA

View Full Version : sealed or ported

ryvar1994
06-30-2010, 07:15 PM
i have 2 rockford p115s8's in a sealed box they are pretty loud but i want to know if a ported box with these subs would sound better or is it even worth payin for wood to build a new one?
let me know what you think
Thanks ryan

RAM_Designs
06-30-2010, 08:42 PM
With basic subs like that, I wouldn't even waste my time/money on doing a ported box. Sure it'll be louder, but there's just not much potential in those P1's.

Slo_Ride
06-30-2010, 08:51 PM
With basic subs like that, I wouldn't even waste my time/money on doing a ported box. Sure it'll be louder, but there's just not much potential in those P1's.

truth

hatemonger
07-01-2010, 12:55 PM
i disagree. i hate those subs in preface to this, but....those subs will get pretty loud in a ported box and sound kinda okay. the box would likely be around 8-10 cubes ported at 35-40hz. since those subs ****, i'd stay on the lower end. for people to come in here and say that a p1 wont get as loud as any other sub in its low power range is just untrue. 2 15's of any wattage can get loud to the ear in a well designed enclosure. the enclosure might be worth more than the subs themselves, but the short answer is, those subs could get decently loud in an enclosure built specifically for those subs.

power-fanatic07
07-01-2010, 01:05 PM
i disagree. i hate those subs in preface to this, but....those subs will get pretty loud in a ported box and sound kinda okay. the box would likely be around 8-10 cubes ported at 35-40hz. since those subs ****, i'd stay on the lower end. for people to come in here and say that a p1 wont get as loud as any other sub in its low power range is just untrue. 2 15's of any wattage can get loud to the ear in a well designed enclosure. the enclosure might be worth more than the subs themselves, but the short answer is, those subs could get decently loud in an enclosure built specifically for those subs.

I disagree.

hatemonger
07-01-2010, 01:07 PM
I disagree.

okay. why do you disagree

power-fanatic07
07-01-2010, 01:22 PM
This is just my opinion. Yes, they can get loud...compared to what? I have had several different subs in the past couple years and really what it comes down to is you get what you pay for and those subs are pretty cheap, cheaply made also.

So yes, I agree with Ryan. Just keep them in the sealed box until you have enough cash to buy something better then build you a nice vented enclosure.

hatemonger
07-01-2010, 02:16 PM
This is just my opinion. Yes, they can get loud...compared to what? I have had several different subs in the past couple years and really what it comes down to is you get what you pay for and those subs are pretty cheap, cheaply made also.

So yes, I agree with Ryan. Just keep them in the sealed box until you have enough cash to buy something better then build you a nice vented enclosure.

i dont disagree, but any sub can get loud installed right was my point. i would do some research, find a sub that i do like and plan to buy, build a box for that sub, then run the p1's in that box until they blow or i could acquire the subs i do want. they will get fairly loud in a good box built for better 15's.

ryvar1994
07-01-2010, 04:00 PM
so build a bad *** box for nice 15s and keep mine till i get the money for some real nice ones such as rockford t1 15s???

DarkScorpion
07-01-2010, 04:05 PM
so build a bad *** box for nice 15s and keep mine till i get the money for some real nice ones such as rockford t1 15s???

You can get much better for your money than T1's. But other than that, that's the best course of action.

rosshimself13
07-01-2010, 06:29 PM
if you cant afford new subs i would try cruising the classifieds, i have purchased many things and none of them have been close to retail... with the new death penalty coming out i would bet you can find the old ones soon, and other subs as well because the new DP is supposed to be ******

Wattser93
07-02-2010, 03:56 PM

Much better subs are available for the price. Build a good box but don't waste your money on T1s.

Wattser93
07-02-2010, 03:56 PM

Much better subs are available for the price. Build a good box but don't waste your money on T1s.

EDIT: Dbl post ftl...

ryvar1994
07-02-2010, 08:08 PM
what are some nice 15s i should look at??

xoutofmyheadx
07-02-2010, 10:41 PM
there's a saying that says "90% of sound is the install 10% is the equipment." so fact is yes you can get it a little louder with just a new box but. it'll be unlikely you'll be any more happy. from what i just looked up, the sub you have is an 8ohm sub. so what amp are you running it with? if you go down the road of a new sub, then you need a new box, then you might need a new amp. and don't get another 8ohm sub get either a svc 2ohm or a dvc 4ohm. all depends on how much you want to spend.

ryvar1994
07-03-2010, 11:40 AM
the amp im running is a kenwood kac-7201 2 channel

xoutofmyheadx
07-04-2010, 03:41 AM
did you decide how much money you wanted to spend?

audio-pro714
07-04-2010, 11:10 AM
i think you guys have overlooked a very important issue,how much power does he have?
Sure you can get much better subs and get louder but it really wouldn't make that much difference if he doesn't have the power or proper elec. to run those bad *** subs anyway? So basically if you plan on upgrading your subs make sure you have the power to run them,also the efficiency of the spkr. makes a huge difference in how loud they'll play with a given power/box combo?

ryvar1994
07-04-2010, 12:15 PM
ive been lookin at some alpine r 15s but if i got them i also need a bigger amp what do you guys think about thoes subs???
i also looked a lil at jl audio

xoutofmyheadx
07-04-2010, 03:25 PM
audiopro, that was my whole point in asking what he had for an amp. the original question was if he made a different box would it be louder. the 1st responces was no no no geta new sub, with no regaurds to if he had the money todo so. the queston wasn't should i make a new box or get a new system. type R's are spose to be really efficient subs great sub for the money. the main thing you have to ask is how much money are you looking to spend. that kenwood you have says it pushes 460@ 4ohms bridged. this subs needs a minimum of 400 so you should be ok but on the low end of what it can handle and i'd be keeping a new amp. but only run this amp if you get the dvc 2ohm not the dvc4ohm.

ryvar1994
07-04-2010, 08:52 PM
okay thanks