PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Audio

a33bigpapa
06-30-2010, 07:46 PM
I have read a lot on these speakers and everyone says they sound amazing and that they perform. I just want to get a base for how they sound. I am looking at the clarus line. Are they comparable to the focal polyglass line, Hertz HSK line, or CDT ES-gold line?

Any help is appreciated.

bread0710
06-30-2010, 08:00 PM
i have the clarus c61-2 set. they are loud and extremely clear and detailed. the tweeters are loud but they are not bright at all. mids hit pretty good and you can cross them pretty low. i love mine best soundign speakers ive heard. ive never heard any of the others you are looking at so i cant give you a comparison.

smgreen20
06-30-2010, 11:41 PM
The ?Legita? series sounds very "open" and clear. I don't recall ever hearing a speaker set up like those. A guy I know runs a 3 way set up w/the 6"/4"/1".

Go here
Buwalda Hybrids International Bulletin Board • Index page (http://www.buwaldahybrids.com/phpBB3/)
And ask any questions about them you may have.

keep_hope_alive
07-01-2010, 04:31 PM
I did side by side with the Clarus and HSK and I preferred the Clarus hand down. I haven't heard the CDT speakers, and I really don't care to.

Clarus can give you a great sound stage if properly located and installed. That 6.5" plays over 6 octaves, well.

DarkScorpion
07-01-2010, 04:42 PM
You really can't go wrong with anything from Hybrid audio - it's about what fits your budget the best and what sounds right. I'd steer away from CDT - the majority of their stuff is overpriced.

James Bang
07-01-2010, 06:19 PM
You really can't go wrong with anything from Hybrid audio - it's about what fits your budget the best and what sounds right. I'd steer away from CDT - the majority of their stuff is overpriced.

are we talking about cdt or hybrid?

James Bang
07-01-2010, 06:19 PM

DarkScorpion
07-01-2010, 06:23 PM

yes.

James Bang
07-01-2010, 07:24 PM
both overpriced.

a33bigpapa
07-01-2010, 07:43 PM
I have personally ran CDT ES-62i gold before and their drivers were amazing but I didn't care for the tweeter at all. I have auditioned the focal K2Pand hertz HSK at my local dealer and like the sound of both of them. Are the hybrid audio speakers price not worth the additional price over the HSK's or are they worth it? Specifically clarus.

keep_hope_alive
07-02-2010, 12:32 AM
I personally wouldn't run the HSK-165 at any price. I would run the HSK-165XL though, and I love the MLK-165. I don't like the tweeter or the midrange distortion with the base level HSK (some call it "midrange warmth") - but i'm fairly picky. The HSK is still a decent comp set for $350.

I really liked the Clarus in a large enclosure (door or vented kick) more than in an IB sound board. For a while I had the Clarus in tower enclosures around my TV as L and R. They rocked. I would probably replace my 3-way with a Clarus 2-way.

Personally, I think the Clarus are worth the extra money over the HSK-165. I think the MLK-165 is quite a bit better than the Clarus. I haven't auditioned Legatia yet...

Finally, Scott Buwalda is an awesome dude, and a pleasure to deal with. I would buy HAT without hesitation. The next set of comps I buy will be going in the wife's car, and they will be the Imagine series.

kevin lu
07-02-2010, 02:39 AM
I personally wouldn't run the HSK-165 at any price. I would run the HSK-165XL though, and I love the MLK-165. I don't like the tweeter or the midrange distortion with the base level HSK (some call it "midrange warmth") - but i'm fairly picky. The HSK is still a decent comp set for $350.

I really liked the Clarus in a large enclosure (door or vented kick) more than in an IB sound board. For a while I had the Clarus in tower enclosures around my TV as L and R. They rocked. I would probably replace my 3-way with a Clarus 2-way.

Personally, I think the Clarus are worth the extra money over the HSK-165. I think the MLK-165 is quite a bit better than the Clarus. I haven't auditioned Legatia yet...

Finally, Scott Buwalda is an awesome dude, and a pleasure to deal with. I would buy HAT without hesitation. The next set of comps I buy will be going in the wife's car, and they will be the Imagine series.

The Clarus 6 is $519
The MLK165 is $750
They are $230 different, MLK165 worth it?

smgreen20
07-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Remember, price doesn't determine Quality or quality of sound.

keep_hope_alive
07-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Remember, price doesn't determine Quality or quality of sound.

well, somewhat. A $50 Boss Audio speaker vs a $150 Alpine Speaker are different in both quality and sound quality - and price dictates that. One costs more to make.

The R&D on the Hertz Mille is paramount. The finite element analysis (FEA) and engineering done is substantial, more than most other speakers on the market. The result is, in essence, a reference monitor.

Price does reflect the build quality and materials used. A Focal Utopia Be set is more expensive due to the construction process, materials, etc. More expensive component sets usually feature more expensive crossover networks, with better quality capacitors and inductors. Same is true for home audio, pro audio, etc. Sure, there are brand markups like JL Audio, and some people like to buy a name (i.e. Bose).
Bose is an excellent example that price does not always reflect quality or sound quality.

To a point, sound quality is totally relative. What I like is different from what you like. We each have our own preferences. How I install my speakers is different than you. Installation largely determines the overall performance anyway. If you're not willing to take the extra steps to install a speaker properly, then you won't get everything out of it.

In the end, you should listen to a speaker before you buy it, or be willing to buy/sell several sets before you find the one that suits you - if your goal is sound quality. Studying the specs, reading reviews, etc. can help you make an informed decision to a point, but unless you hear them, you're trusting stranger's ears.

smgreen20
07-02-2010, 02:55 PM
well, somewhat. A $50 Boss Audio speaker vs a $150 Alpine Speaker are different in both quality and sound quality - and price dictates that. One costs more to make.

And the PG RSD6.5c that sells for <$100 sounds better then some of the other comps out there that are 4x the price. Not top be rude, but that can go both ways. I will agree that cost of materials will INFLUENCE the total MSRP.

a33bigpapa
07-02-2010, 03:00 PM

The R&D on the Hertz Mille is paramount. The finite element analysis (FEA) and engineering done is substantial, more than most other speakers on the market. The result is, in essence, a reference monitor.

Price does reflect the build quality and materials used. A Focal Utopia Be set is more expensive due to the construction process, materials, etc. More expensive component sets usually feature more expensive crossover networks, with better quality capacitors and inductors. Same is true for home audio, pro audio, etc. Sure, there are brand markups like JL Audio, and some people like to buy a name (i.e. Bose).
Bose is an excellent example that price does not always reflect quality or sound quality.

To a point, sound quality is totally relative. What I like is different from what you like. We each have our own preferences. How I install my speakers is different than you. Installation largely determines the overall performance anyway. If you're not willing to take the extra steps to install a speaker properly, then you won't get everything out of it.

In the end, you should listen to a speaker before you buy it, or be willing to buy/sell several sets before you find the one that suits you - if your goal is sound quality. Studying the specs, reading reviews, etc. can help you make an informed decision to a point, but unless you hear them, you're trusting stranger's ears.

Very well said.:thankyou:

Lakota
07-03-2010, 12:22 AM
I think you guys would be surprised by the sound of the Hybrid Imagines for their pricepoint. I have Imagine 6.5's in my car (daily driver) and L4's w/ L1v2 tweets in my truck.

keep_hope_alive
07-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Agreed, Imagine series managed to shave price without sacrificing a lot of sound quality.

ramos
07-06-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm kind of fond of the clarus. I am still running the 5 1/4 clarus as the mid in a 3 way setup. :)

a33bigpapa
07-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Has anyone ever done a direct comparison between the clarus and the legatia series. Was the increase in cost worth the increase in sound quality.

Johnny Law.Lulz
07-07-2010, 12:44 PM
And the PG RSD6.5c that sells for <$100 sounds better then some of the other comps out there that are 4x the price. Not top be rude, but that can go both ways. I will agree that cost of materials will INFLUENCE the total MSRP.

lulz. What an idiot.

ramos
07-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Has anyone ever done a direct comparison between the clarus and the legatia series. Was the increase in cost worth the increase in sound quality.

Yep, and it depends on what particular drivers and your intended install. L1v2's over the clarus tweeters are worth it and then some imo. The l1v2's are more detailed, go lower, better off axis, and if your into the looks thing the v2's are sexier lol. :)

blaze452
07-08-2010, 01:18 AM
I heard both the clarus and lagatia in a sound booth and the lagatia stood out more because in the song I was listening to, the saxaphone was more defined and I heard more small details such as chimes and such that didn't stand out as much on the clarus. I dunno if its worth the extra money yet, still trying to decide. But they both sound amazing. I heard the Lagatia L6 with L4 Drivers in kick panel and no tweeter in two different trucks and it sounded great

ramos
07-08-2010, 09:01 AM
So how does Bob's truck sound ? I have never heard it :(