PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Golf GTI

budahbuddy803
06-30-2010, 02:09 PM
I am looking into a 2003 VW Golf GTI. Its got ~70k miles on it. It was in a minor accident where someone ran into the back of him. That was the first thing the guy told me and he said there is a carfax report on the incident. He is asking $7200....i am thinking ill work him down a little on that considering the accident.

He said that the front left tire gets a work out because the amount of torque. I dont think that makes any sense to me unless he is burning out. Anyone here of that issue with the gti's?

Are the turbo's pretty reliable in these?

Anything I should know from an experienced owner?

I am trying to keep this car for a good 5 years before I get something new and I dont want to keep dumping money into tires or anything else really. I will take it to a mechanic before I buy, just looking for some issues i may run into. Thanks!

budahbuddy803
06-30-2010, 02:23 PM
The rear end damage was fixed. (New rear bumper) I am just wondering if maybe that tire is wearing down because of misalignment rather than that "torque." Ill let my mechanic let me know what he thinks. I really like these cars. I think my IDmax IB like someone on here has done would be "easy" and awesome. Ill just install my current gear, deaden as much as i can afford, and 20% tint all the way around. If this particular ride is in good shape of course.

budahbuddy803
06-30-2010, 07:20 PM
bump

budahbuddy803
06-30-2010, 10:49 PM
I know there are GTI owners on here. Maybe a good place to find reviews and problems with cars so i could read would be helpful. I am not coming up with very good reviews.

budahbuddy803
07-01-2010, 09:02 PM
guy said he took it to the strip a few times and ran it.... how bad is that on a vehicle? I know its not good, but since he doesnt do it anymore and Ill drive it like a granny, what kind of damage does that do?

dumple
07-01-2010, 09:06 PM
sell you my saturn for a grand less more fun the a gti! 6400 with brand new tires!!

budahbuddy803
07-01-2010, 09:15 PM
sell you my saturn for a grand less more fun the a gti! 6400 with brand new tires!!

Really? I am semi-interested. I have not heard too many good things about saturn, nor bad thing though....

This particular GTI is de-badged, 327hp on the dyno he claims under 13seconds on the 1/4mile (i think is what he said), and pretty much immaculate interior and exterior. I just dont want to buy something so sweet and have the engine drop out of it because he ran it too hard.

audioatg
07-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Is that stick or auto. Either way. Taking it to the track all the time is not really good for both. Even more. I bet he is a Green like gas pedel to the floor kindof person. And For all my years as a mechanic. Never heard tires going bald from big bad torque.Sure he has somthin messed up with the alingment. Is it lowered or have any other time of supsension other then stock. For an 03 asking 7000 seems a tab bit high to me.

Only thing I can think about VW's is they have bad eletrical systems. And crap ignition systems. Do get that engine bay wet at all.

KMS
07-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Mk4- stay away

Maxipads
07-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Are you sure his left front tire doesnt have camber bad wear? Seems to me the only real reason one tire would lose tread faster than another.. Or He doesn't keep the PSI up on his tires...

KMS
07-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Either peeling out at every stop sign/light or a bad alignment, camber,

KyleBechtold
07-12-2010, 11:56 PM
lol at the left tire cause of torque.. those cars are slow unless engaging the turbo so its not TORQUE.

Louisiana_CRX
07-12-2010, 11:58 PM
Id stay away from V dubs

hatedonmostly
07-13-2010, 12:14 AM
If the owner thinks he can take advantage of you by telling you that the tire is bald due to torque, he isn't worth dealing with period.

Kujo
07-23-2010, 08:34 PM
That tire wear isn't from torque. I think that car has a horizontal motor so the force is thrown forward and not to the side. My car is front to back and the same motor with mods and I have no problems. I may be mistaken but its easy to see if the motor goes in front to back or side to side. As for the 300+ hp. Absolute bullshit unless the motor is built to the teeth with a GT 30 and forged internals. That car is closer to 185 stock at the crank let alone at the wheels. I would stay away. If you want a GTI find a good one they made tons of them. They are good cars but if its a 1.8t you are going to need a timing belt around now if it hasn't been done. I think VW warrants it replaced at 90k but they are know to snap at 60k. I just did the third on my 1.8t Audi A4. The first one snapped, The second one the water pump failed and I hope the third takes me thought my time with this car. They are sweet Id say just find a better one.

audioatg
07-24-2010, 06:05 PM
Front to back or side to side. lol

budahbuddy803
07-24-2010, 07:32 PM
haha I think im going with an 02 taurus..... fml

dennit469
07-24-2010, 08:02 PM
theres an audi up at the bank dude, its looks similar to gti, i kinda like it

Yellow20thAEGti
07-24-2010, 08:27 PM
There is nothing wrong with the GTi except as stated the water pump is known to fail at around 100K due to plastic impellers. I currently have a 20th AE and other than that problem I have had not had any other issues. Everything on my car is stock. The Gti does have some torque steer, but not to the point where it would wear on just the left side tire. This would make me believe that their was something else going with the left side. As far as the claim of 300+ hp, it would have need to be built up as stated earlier. The 1.8t motor is one of the most reliable motor Volkswagen has ever made. If you need any more info feel free to pm me or check out VWvortex.com (http://vwvortex.com)

audioatg
07-25-2010, 02:56 PM
There is nothing wrong with the GTi except as stated the water pump is known to fail at around 100K due to plastic impellers. I currently have a 20th AE and other than that problem I have had not had any other issues. Everything on my car is stock. The Gti does have some torque steer, but not to the point where it would wear on just the left side tire. This would make me believe that their was something else going with the left side. As far as the claim of 300+ hp, it would have need to be built up as stated earlier. The 1.8t motor is one of the most reliable motor Volkswagen has ever made. If you need any more info feel free to pm me or check out VWvortex.com (http://vwvortex.com)

He shouldnt get that ford taurus either then. In fact I wouldnt by a ford if my life depended on it.

budahbuddy803
07-25-2010, 11:41 PM
theres an audi up at the bank dude, its looks similar to gti, i kinda like it

Audi's are expensive to work on I hear. I would rather grab that TT or Saab. I still havent gotten anything.

Johnny Law.Lulz
07-25-2010, 11:57 PM
He shouldnt get that ford taurus either then. In fact I wouldnt by a ford if my life depended on it.

Thats your opinion.

I would get the taurus in a heartbeat. An insurance break and a big trunk is more than enough for me.

budahbuddy803
07-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Thats your opinion.

I would get the taurus in a heartbeat. An insurance break and a big trunk is more than enough for me.

We were going to pick up the taurus today and they sold it an hour before I got there. Back to square one with only a week before I leave for school.

Kujo
07-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Audi/VW isnt too bad to repair. Sure the parts may be more than a ford but look at what you get for it. I do most of my repairs myself and its all the same. Most stuff is basic anyway like brakes, oil, this that and the other whatever, you know what Im syain. Its all personal preference. You can get a B5 A4 cheep but get one that has been maintained. Just remember you get what you pay for with any car. A 7000 ford is the same as a 7000 Audi its just what you will like to drive more and what will work the best for you.

1.8t motors rock. Chip it and call it good. Or be like me and dump more money into it tell its just how you like it. Hahahaahaha

budahbuddy803
07-28-2010, 09:18 AM
I would love to get anything with the 1.8T in it. Thats really what im looking for, but slowly I just care less and less and just want something reliable, low miles, no more than 10 years old. I dont care about appearance much anymore.