PDA

View Full Version : ht box for 2 fi Q 15

ltr450racer690
06-25-2010, 09:33 PM
looking a doing a ht box for 2 fi Q 15's what kind of space should i do with 500w on tap and what kind of tuning. any help would be nice guys

kyle

misfit138
06-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Have you put any thought into using only one sub, in a sealed enclosure, with a pair of PR's?

I'd assume you could use Fi's recommended enclosure sizes for ht use, but you'd probably want to tune lower than ordinary...

bubbagumper6
06-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Do you have any idea how loud two 15's will be in a HT application? It's not like in a car where you have to combat things like road/engine noise, a home is completely different. If I were you, I would plan on building dual boxes, then build ONE first...if it isn't loud enough, build the second.

Plus have you taken into consideration what kind of space this stuff is going to have to take up? It's easy in a car since you throw the big *** box in the trunk, but it's a different story when it's sitting in your living room...

RAM_Designs
06-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Do you have any idea how loud two 15's will be in a HT application? It's not like in a car where you have to combat things like road/engine noise, a home is completely different. If I were you, I would plan on building dual boxes, then build ONE first...if it isn't loud enough, build the second.

Plus have you taken into consideration what kind of space this stuff is going to have to take up? It's easy in a car since you throw the big *** box in the trunk, but it's a different story when it's sitting in your living room...

x2

If using one go with something like 5-6ft^3 tuned to 20hz.

ltr450racer690
06-26-2010, 12:17 PM
yea kinda thought about that. going in a nice big room. and i have thought about 1 just haven't complete figured out yet

KyleBechtold
06-26-2010, 12:23 PM
I will put it like this.. Even some of the most expensive/loudest setups have 1-10"/12"/15" usually the smaller ones.. and the fill the room just fine.. you will I can almost guarantee never crank that sub to its potential in a house and have speakers enough to keep up with it and sound good.. unless you spend thousands..

I have a 12 on 250 watts in my bedroom and it fills it. I have a pretty big room too.. and its in a 1cuft box.

Linkz
06-26-2010, 01:22 PM
For an ht setup, I would have a large box under the TV or one on each side pointing to you. The larger the box the more directional the bass will be. I have a 20cf @ 28hz (3x 12" hifi d4) that simply kills the lows. The problem is that it is so large that it I had to play with placement a lot to make it sound loud. Placement is the most important thing in a home setup.

Once you pick a proper size and placement you can tune based on how much subsonic bass you want compared to the higher freq. I would go with something around 10-15 @ 25 or so and place it so that it is underneath your TV and facing you. port on the top or center. If you can't isolate the TV well enough then you can make towers on each side and half the volume of the box..

ltr450racer690
06-26-2010, 03:41 PM
ok good ideas here guys.