PDA

View Full Version : Active crossovers are eating my insides... Hope for passive?

DBz Hertz
06-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Ok, so the title is a little dramatic but, It's true. I've been an installer at Best Buy for a few years and have been MECP certified for the last two. I am very ashamed to say that I've only recently heard of active crossover setups. Unfortunately, that fact is eating me alive. I do want an active system someday but right now I DON'T UNDERSTAND ANY OF IT and I hate not understanding ****.

So basically, I don't feel as if I can responsibly dump money into active crossovers (although I want them), not to mention I only have a two channel and front comps. I just want a nice sounding system. So now to my question...

Having never heard an active crossover setup, is there hope for a quality sounding passive setup? As far as signal processing goes, I have only a few basic tools at my disposal. Those tools are a Kicker KQ9 equalizer, a set of Kicker QS components, and time correction on my Alpine CDA-117. Sadly that's it.

Please give me your advice. :crying:

fasfocus00
06-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Ok, so the title is a little dramatic but, It's true. I've been an installer at Best Buy for a few years and have been MECP certified for the last two. I am very ashamed to say that I've only recently heard of active crossover setups. Unfortunately, that fact is eating me alive. I do want an active system someday but right now I DON'T UNDERSTAND ANY OF IT and I hate not understanding ****.

So basically, I don't feel as if I can responsibly dump money into active crossovers (although I want them), not to mention I only have a two channel and front comps. I just want a nice sounding system. So now to my question...

Having never heard an active crossover setup, is there hope for a quality sounding passive setup? As far as signal processing goes, I have only a few basic tools at my disposal. Those tools are a Kicker KQ9 equalizer, a set of Kicker QS components, and time correction on my Alpine 9887. Sadly that's it.

Please give me your advice. :crying:

i have the new updated MECP basic book and it goes into how an active crossover is done.

DBz Hertz
06-25-2010, 09:08 PM
i have the new updated MECP basic book and it goes into how an active crossover is done.

Hmm... I just realized we might have the new one too. I'll look around for it.

Thanks!

fasfocus00
06-25-2010, 09:09 PM
if IIRC the 9887 has time correction and set to run active.

James Bang
06-25-2010, 09:11 PM
the 9887 has a built in 3way active xover network

fasfocus00
06-25-2010, 09:15 PM

there we go. you are ready to go active.

DBz Hertz
06-25-2010, 09:17 PM
if IIRC the 9887 has time correction and set to run active.

Oh ****... I guess it would help to give you the correct information. I actually have a CDA-117. I've been looking at the 9887. Mixed the two up. Please forgive me.

fasfocus00
06-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Oh ****... I guess it would help to give you the correct information. I actually have a CDA-117. I've been looking at the 9887. Mixed the two up. Please forgive me.

i tell you what, you get me in at BB down in installing and i'll get you situated with an active set up like I have in my Rogue.

keep_hope_alive
06-25-2010, 11:28 PM
it's not that hard to understand. better to do as a conversation rather than over the internet. PM me if you ever want to discuss it. i can teach anyone