PDA

View Full Version : rear and sub channels fail to work

gil25
06-24-2010, 12:59 AM
Hey guys,

ok so just the other day my rear channel and sub channel gave up on me.... front channels are working but sometimes the left channel cuts in and out (when i play with the front left RCA connection on the amp end, it seems to effect the sound of the speaker).... ok better give some background of what im running...

HU: JVC-avx33
Splits: kicker rated 60 wrms (5 1/4)
Rear: kicker rated 50 wrms (6 inch)
15inch JL sub

2 amps
1x4 channel 60 wrms
mono 240 wrms for sub

now i have done some testing, and as the front channels still work i have taken out the RCAs that go into the 4 channel amp front channel and put them in the rears and sub channel, and found that the music plays through all speakers....

so i have worked out that the speakers all function correctly and all the channels on the amps work fine...

the only thing i can think of is that the rear and sub channels on the back of the headunit are fried! my next step is to try different RCA cables from the rear and sub channels from the head unit to rule out faulty RCA cables....

has anyone experienced similar issues?
2ndly would you think the rear and sub channels on the HU are fried?

thanks in advance for any insight given

gil

mbrooky
06-24-2010, 01:05 AM
what happens when you put the rear RCAs into the front channel on the amp? if nothing still then i would try replacing the RCA's....but then again it's pretty uncommon that 2 sets of RCAs go bad at the same time...so my guess would be the head unit...but ya never know...

the best thing to do since you already know that the RCAs on the front channel path is good. take that known good RCA and plug it into the rear and also sub out on the back of the HU and see what you get for each. If still nothing you know for sure it's the HU....if you happen to get sound, it's the RCAs

gil25
06-24-2010, 01:25 AM
ah cool thanks for that mbrooky......

i didnt think of that, ill try pluggin the front RCAs that i know are working on the amp to the rear and sup channel on the head unit and see if i can get any sound out of it..... if nothing, as you said i can single out the head unit as being the root cause!

cheers
gil