PDA

View Full Version : Box Sealing Help

MONSONwarrior
06-23-2010, 11:21 AM
How do I seal the edge of the box on the other side of the port when the port goes all the way across the back of the box and is only 2.5 inches wide? there is no way I will fit my hand back in there so could I just run a bead across the edge and set the top piece on top of it or what?

hispls
06-23-2010, 11:37 AM
How do I seal the edge of the box on the other side of the port when the port goes all the way across the back of the box and is only 2.5 inches wide? there is no way I will fit my hand back in there so could I just run a bead across the edge and set the top piece on top of it or what?

You won't be able to with caulking. On the bright side if your cuts are accurate and you glue and screw it should be airtight anyway. You can always run a bead of something on the other side, or mix up some fiberglass resin and just pour it in and shift the box so it runs down the seam and sits there while it cures.

JoeRa22
06-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Well your kinda stuck now. For the future though, if im building a box that will end up like that i lay a bead of silicon down on the wood as im putting it together so it seals up when the two pieces press together.

brmcm15
06-26-2010, 12:33 PM
You won't be able to with caulking. On the bright side if your cuts are accurate and you glue and screw it should be airtight anyway. You can always run a bead of something on the other side, or mix up some fiberglass resin and just pour it in and shift the box so it runs down the seam and sits there while it cures.

this x2

MONSONwarrior
06-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Well your kinda stuck now. For the future though, if im building a box that will end up like that i lay a bead of silicon down on the wood as im putting it together so it seals up when the two pieces press together.

I actually did that and now it's sealed very nicely.