PDA

View Full Version : Powering Hertz coms?

geonfreaq
06-22-2010, 03:52 PM
I have a set of hi energy and have a quick question.

With the amps I already have I can send 100w, 200w or 400w to each. Now im thinking the Kenwood KAC 818 I have would work great since its 200w per chan.

No idea if sending 400w to em would be a bad idea or not haha. I see no reason to send them more unless its going to help the sound and they can take it no problem.

ramos
06-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Personally I would try 100w first and see if you want more.If you want more then up to 200w. 400w would probably bring death quickly lol :)

geonfreaq
06-22-2010, 04:53 PM
haha Thats what I figured. Ive never ran comps before so we shall see.

genxx
06-22-2010, 05:20 PM
I have ran 100w per side for about 2 years now and that has been plenty of power. They are pretty darn efficient.

geonfreaq
06-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Yea looking through the owners man I see where the RMS is 125w. 100 should be plenty.

dennis09x
06-22-2010, 05:33 PM
rms for mlk 165 is 150 watts... i been putting 300 to them... not good... blew two tweets and one woofer... don't double unless your dumb like me....

keep_hope_alive
06-23-2010, 01:27 PM
be more concerned with THD at the desired power output. Just because you have a 300Wx2 amplifier does not mean the speakers will ever actually see 300W.

What is important is having more power than you need or will ever use - so that you operate with much lower amplifier distortion. Amplifiers make the most distortion at their rated power.

Actual power output depends on the program material content at that instant, the gain setting, and the volume knob.

The choice all depends on the amplifier. I'll take 50W of Zapco power over 200W of Kenwood power.

emilimo701
06-23-2010, 05:07 PM
be more concerned with THD at the desired power output. Just because you have a 300Wx2 amplifier does not mean the speakers will ever actually see 300W.

What is important is having more power than you need or will ever use - so that you operate with much lower amplifier distortion. Amplifiers make the most distortion at their rated power.

Actual power output depends on the program material content at that instant, the gain setting, and the volume knob.

The choice all depends on the amplifier. I'll take 50W of Zapco power over 200W of Kenwood power.

question, if you don't mind

I have an infinity 475a 4-channel bridged for my fronts because 75watts didn't seem to be enough... my gains were up (almost) all the way. Now getting "180watts RMS" per channel bridged, it is louder, but again i have the gains up almost all the way. The speakers are only rated at 100w and they take it fine (i don't turn my head unit up more than half way because it starts to distort at about 60%). Would you recommend that i get an amp powerful enough so that i'm satisfied with the output only turning the gains up halfway? Looks like i'm looking at about 250w RMS per channel? Only problem is there aren't that many drivers that seem to be meant to handle more than 100 continuous watts....i guess that's why you see setups with multiple components in each door....

anyway, on topic. one of the dealers near me carries Hertz. However, I'm afraid to even ask the prices. Geon: did you get yours online, and for how much? impressions?

90accordman
06-23-2010, 05:08 PM
get a better amp.

im running a lrx 2.9 on my hsk165xl's not a single problem at all, just be smart about setup

Bumpin' Goalie
06-23-2010, 05:12 PM
question, if you don't mind

I have an infinity 475a 4-channel bridged for my fronts because 75watts didn't seem to be enough... my gains were up (almost) all the way. Now getting "180watts RMS" per channel bridged, it is louder, but again i have the gains up almost all the way. The speakers are only rated at 100w and they take it fine (i don't turn my head unit up more than half way because it starts to distort at about 60%). Would you recommend that i get an amp powerful enough so that i'm satisfied with the output only turning the gains up halfway? Looks like i'm looking at about 250w RMS per channel? Only problem is there aren't that many drivers that seem to be meant to handle more than 100 continuous watts....i guess that's why you see setups with multiple components in each door....

anyway, on topic. one of the dealers near me carries Hertz. However, I'm afraid to even ask the prices. Geon: did you get yours online, and for how much? impressions?
Volume knobs are not volume knobs. With it up almost all the way, you are possibly hearing the tell-tale sounds of clipping. Usually most components have a thermal failure before a mechanical failure if given clean power. Thus they can sound better and better until they die.

In your case, the distortion seems to coming from the amp itself making me think that it/it's settings are the issue.

emilimo701
06-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Volume knobs are not volume knobs. With it up almost all the way, you are possibly hearing the tell-tale sounds of clipping. Usually most components have a thermal failure before a mechanical failure if given clean power. Thus they can sound better and better until they die.

In your case, the distortion seems to coming from the amp itself making me think that it/it's settings are the issue.

There isn't really much distortion (that I can detect, at least) with the amp's gain at about 85% and never turning my HU volume past 50%. The problem is, before I had them bridged (75w vs 180w) I would either be turning my HU past 50% or amp past 85, and the fidelity of the sound was clearly compromised. But even now at "180 watts" I seem to be at the verge of either overdriving my speakers, or driving the amp into clipping, or both. The amp has 1% THD at rated, which from what i've heard is an undesirably high number. Also, the noise floor of the amp is pretty high. With volume on HU all the way down, you can hear fuzz from the speakers, which doesn't go away completely unless you turn the gain down below 40%.

Bumpin' Goalie
06-23-2010, 05:51 PM
There isn't really much distortion (that I can detect, at least) with the amp's gain at about 85% and never turning my HU volume past 50%. The problem is, before I had them bridged (75w vs 180w) I would either be turning my HU past 50% or amp past 85, and the fidelity of the sound was clearly compromised. But even now at "180 watts" I seem to be at the verge of either overdriving my speakers, or driving the amp into clipping, or both. The amp has 1% THD at rated, which from what i've heard is an undesirably high number. Also, the noise floor of the amp is pretty high. With volume on HU all the way down, you can hear fuzz from the speakers, which doesn't go away completely unless you turn the gain down below 40%.

Sounds like a compromise is needed. Or another amp. But one is free :)

emilimo701
06-23-2010, 05:53 PM
im running a lrx 2.9 on my hsk165xl's not a single problem at all, just be smart about setup

the same dealer i previously referred to also carries Audison. what can i expect to pay for those exact two items (HSK Comps and LRx 2.9) b&m?

emilimo701
06-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Sounds like a compromise is needed. Or another amp. But one is free :)

yup. which is why i'm leaning toward the compromise

90accordman
06-23-2010, 05:57 PM
msrp on 2.9 is 899 hsk are like 550 i think

emilimo701
06-23-2010, 06:02 PM
msrp on 2.9 is 899 hsk are like 550 i think

okay thanks. and from a shop, i can expect to pay pretty close to that amount? is there any haggling in the caraudio world?

Bumpin' Goalie
06-23-2010, 06:05 PM
okay thanks. and from a shop, i can expect to pay pretty close to that amount? is there any haggling in the caraudio world?

Some, but not too much. Best to play hard to get (but be nice) in the shops if you want a deal. Kinda like shopping for a vehicle. They have overhead.

Any issue with online or used gear?

emilimo701
06-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Some, but not too much. Best to play hard to get (but be nice) in the shops if you want a deal. Kinda like shopping for a vehicle. They have overhead.

Any issue with online or used gear?

nope. might go that route in a month or so when i decide to upgrade.

you have anything i might be interested in?

Bumpin' Goalie
06-23-2010, 06:15 PM
nope. might go that route in a month or so when i decide to upgrade.

you have anything i might be interested in?

Nope just letting you know options :) Just got done selling almost everything. Have a beauty of an enclosure and a 85x2 MTX amp left. Then I'm finally uncluttered :)

emilimo701
06-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Nope just letting you know options :) Just got done selling almost everything. Have a beauty of an enclosure and a 85x2 MTX amp left. Then I'm finally uncluttered :)

great. what's your setup?

90accordman
06-23-2010, 06:37 PM
im selling part of my setup to upgrade already lol and im all audison hertz

Bumpin' Goalie
06-23-2010, 06:40 PM
im selling part of my setup to upgrade already lol and im all audison hertz

Selling the HSK's?

90accordman
06-23-2010, 06:58 PM
mine are hskxl lil more expensive but i'll sell them

keep_hope_alive
06-23-2010, 07:14 PM
the HSK-165KL's are much better than the HSK-165 - in my opinion - mostly due to the better tweeter. I don't like the tweeter on the HSK-165 - You couldn't pay me to run that tweeter.

Audison LRx are some of the best amps in the $1000 range IMO, up there with Genesis and Zapco.

90accordman
06-23-2010, 07:17 PM
i find more midbass from the xl also

keep_hope_alive
06-23-2010, 09:57 PM
midbass is mostly dependent on the installation/enclosure. but yea, they don't deserve to share the same model number, IMO. everything about the speakers is better. A nice step between HSK and MLK.