PDA

View Full Version : Plexiglass idea

Face of Fear
06-19-2010, 09:27 PM
So for starters ill make this pretty simple.

I have a 2002 grand prix(4 door), got a good sized trunk. I will be running a 3200watt amp to a 12 inch Incriminator Audio Warden. The box will be 2.5 cubic feet with 55sq in of port tuned to 47hz for a competition box. My daily box obviously will be alot smaller. 2.5cubic feet with 37.5inch of port tuned to 37hz.

My question is on my daily box can I cut out a peice in the top and put a spuare of plexiglass in so that I can have an LED inside the box and see the sub as like a show kinda thing?

geonfreaq
06-19-2010, 09:37 PM
I was just talking about this with a friend of mine today. He builds acrylic fish tanks (ownes his own company) and I was asking him about doing a complete clear acrylic ported box. After tossing around ideas he said he does not see why it wouldnt work. Hes going to build one in his spare time for me and we'll see how it works out. Ill get pics once its donee haha

Biggest issue I think you would run into was finding a glue to hold the acrylic to the wood.

Jason

hatedonmostly
06-19-2010, 09:46 PM
I was just talking about this with a friend of mine today. He builds acrylic fish tanks (ownes his own company) and I was asking him about doing a complete clear acrylic ported box. After tossing around ideas he said he does not see why it wouldnt work. Hes going to build one in his spare time for me and we'll see how it works out. Ill get pics once its donee haha

Biggest issue I think you would run into was finding a glue to hold the acrylic to the wood.

Jason

I wouldn't use glue, I'd use caulk (or a product similar) or a rubber gasket.

hatedonmostly
06-19-2010, 09:46 PM

Jason

goingdef
06-19-2010, 09:47 PM
If the box has not been built yet couldn't you double up on the top so that the plex can sit flush and have a lip to secure it down by pre-drilling the holes in the plex and snugging them down like a pre-fab band pass from the 90"s but a whole lot beefier

geonfreaq
06-19-2010, 09:48 PM
Yea I should have worded that a different way. "bonding agent." haha

I do like the rubber gasket idea though.

Blue Fury
06-19-2010, 09:50 PM
If the glass is thick enough and if the bond between the box and the glass is strong enough, then sure. A lot of people do that. Big port, tho..

bassman3
06-19-2010, 11:39 PM

People who build ALL plexiglass enclosures or people who work with alot of acrylic use a melting bonding agent, that melts the two panels together. It makes one strong bond as well.

goingdef
06-19-2010, 11:44 PM
People who build ALL plexiglass enclosures or people who work with alot of acrylic use a melting bonding agent, that melts the two panels together. It makes one strong bond as well.

ya plastiweld it destabilize's the plastic and allows it to melt together then the solvent evaporates leaving a bond as strong as the material itself

fasfocus00
06-19-2010, 11:45 PM
too bad most of you guys haven't been in involved in car audio far enough back to know the "Fishman" Dave Rivera is. you guys should google him and his installs.

hatedonmostly
06-19-2010, 11:49 PM

He wants to put a plexiglass window, not build a completely plexiglass enclosure :fyi:

geonfreaq
06-19-2010, 11:54 PM
He wants to put a plexiglass window, not build a completely plexiglass enclosure :fyi:

Yep but the whole enclosure is what Im thinking about hahah

No clue how it will sound though :(

skittlesRgood
06-20-2010, 12:06 AM

Jason

some one around here has done it. had the box for years too. i think its 3/4 plexi. but it is working fine and its decently loud. doesnt seem to be falling apart any time soon.

OP... im not sure of any way i would trust the seal between the wood and the plexi (or whatever you use). use a big overlap, silicone and a good amount of screws i guess.

Face of Fear
06-20-2010, 04:32 AM
If the glass is thick enough and if the bond between the box and the glass is strong enough, then sure. A lot of people do that. Big port, tho..

Do you think that the port is to big?

Face of Fear
06-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Anyone else have any input?

fasfocus00
06-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Anyone else have any input?

are you looking for a how to or ideas? if you're looking for ideas, you really need to google Dave "Fishman" Rivera. he did the first fish tank install in an '89 celica. he took plexi to a whole new level.

here's just one example:
Sound In Motion - Boston's Best Mobile Entertainment Design, Installation & Custom Fabrication Shops (http://www.sound-in-motion.com/installs/CadillacFleetwood94.html)

Face of Fear
06-21-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm looking for a little bit of both. I just want a plexi glass window(more or less) on top of my sub box.

bubbagumper6
06-21-2010, 02:53 PM
Ask Mike of AMI Creations, he does Plexi windows all the time...just look for some of his builds

bassman3
06-21-2010, 02:59 PM
You wanting to do a plexi window like this? I do alot of plexi windows for customers.

Build log -- mauricio & charles pg. 2 PICS (http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/4/619536.html)

bassman3
06-21-2010, 03:00 PM
You wanting to do a plexi window like this? I do alot of plexi windows for customers.

Build log -- mauricio & charles pg. 2 PICS (http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/4/619536.html)

daking247365
06-23-2010, 11:29 PM
So I am trying to do something similar. I want the top and front of my box to be plexiglas, have four sides MDF and then the remaining two side all plexiglas. I havent built a box before so I am at a little bit of a lose on how to go about actually blending the wood and plexiglas together. If there is a how-to guide or something like that on the forum please direct me.

Thanks guys