PDA

View Full Version : Best of the worst? *Pre-packaged HT in a box*

Johnny Drama
06-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Im on a limited budget and limited on space. I'm looking for a decent HT set up to match with my plasma TV. I dont need anything extravagant, but I would like to have something that sounds good. Ive been on crutchfield, newegg, partstexpress and bestbuy and cant seem to find anything that is worth even the high prices they want for them.

What Im looking for...
5.1 surround system with receiver to power them. (already have a bluray player so I dont need a combo)
small package I am working on limited space so the system needs to fit on a shelf or be hung from the walls.
I do have neighbors in the appartment next and above me so I have no need for something that can blast out the sound.
Budget :$450

Johnny Drama
06-21-2010, 08:26 PM
no replies...how am I not surprised.

goingdef
06-23-2010, 01:12 AM
If you don't want to spend too much check wal-mart they have the same quality level electronics as best buy for the most part and better prices.

*SlappinAzz*
06-23-2010, 01:18 AM
If you don't want to spend too much check wal-mart they have the same quality level electronics as best buy for the most part and better prices.

Im sorry, but that is the funniest **** ive read today.

goingdef
06-23-2010, 01:21 AM
If it's the 200.00-300.00 dollar range it's the same sh*t only gonna get the nice stuff if your going to fork out the cash at a good home audio store.

silvercookie
06-23-2010, 01:28 AM
from what i have heard alot of the lower samsung and LG stuff is pretty good.

Haunz
06-23-2010, 01:28 AM
Years ago I bought a pioneer 5.1 system with the reciever and changer in one unit. IIRC I paid $460 on sale, not sure what the regular price was though. The reciever does 100 x 5 @ 1khz and 200 x 2 in stereo mode + 100 for the sub with all channels driven...

The amount of power is OK and it gets loud, but the speakers left quite a bit for me to desire, infact the 7" sub was a joke.. but I still use the unit today with upgraded speakers and a seperate sub amp and a pair of 15s...

I think you will find similar results with any HT in a box package.. the speakers are sub-par when compared with something 'good'.

fasfocus00
06-23-2010, 01:31 AM
first you should see what your audio output is on you TV, is it RCA, coax, fiber optic? that will determine what sort of route you can take with you budget

goingdef
06-23-2010, 01:35 AM
I miss my old home stereo it was loud as hell I ran two CV dx-9 15"s a carver a500-x amp and hr-895 receiver, wasn't cheap but it sounded nice eventually the 15"s gave out and I bought some JBL towers with dual 6.5 woofers and a silk dome tweeter that sounded awesome.

Johnny Drama
06-25-2010, 12:34 PM
first you should see what your audio output is on you TV, is it RCA, coax, fiber optic? that will determine what sort of route you can take with you budget

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasonic+-+VIERA+42%22+Class+/+1080p+/+600Hz+/+Plasma+HDTV/9761068.p?id=1218168619373&skuId=9761068

Still havent found anything thus far. Going to have to keep looking.

kpozr2
06-30-2010, 12:10 AM
^^ that would be fiber optic aka digital audio out - optical toslink cable.

THIS (7.1)- 457.00 + free S&H

Amazon.com: Onkyo HT-S5200 7.1-Channel Home Entertainment… (http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5200-7-1-Channel-Entertainment-Receiver/dp/B001VEI2OA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277867402&sr=8-2)

or THIS (5.1) - $330.00 + free S&H
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3300-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B003BEDQR6/ref=pd_ts_zgc_e_281056_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&pf_rd_p=1263730122&pf_rd_s=right-5&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000512141&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=011ZDHV2RDXGFA233CMR

KyleBechtold
06-30-2010, 12:13 AM
the dayton setup on pe.com with the 12 is decent.. it will get loud enough especially in an apartment. For receivers look for used pioneers..

Bumpin' Goalie
06-30-2010, 12:13 AM
Check out some raw parts stores. Can find a receiver that does 100x5 for $200 or so then use the rest to create and build the speakers, enclosures, whatever you want.

Not very convenient, however.

KyleBechtold
06-30-2010, 12:19 AM
6.5" speakers for $10 2 for each tower 1 for each surround 2-3 for center thats 80-90 then tweets they are having major blowout sales.. so build your own?
Peerless 835004 SDS 6-1/2" Woofer 4 Ohm | Parts-Express.com (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-250)

CougarGuy
06-30-2010, 01:51 PM
i have 2 logitech z5500 sets and there recockulous...

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z8/cougarguy1802/My%20First%20Home/IMGP4484.jpg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z8/cougarguy1802/My%20First%20Home/IMGP9434.jpg

and they're cheap!

CougarGuy
06-30-2010, 01:51 PM

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z8/cougarguy1802/My%20First%20Home/IMGP4484.jpg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z8/cougarguy1802/My%20First%20Home/IMGP9434.jpg

and they're cheap!

IamDeMan
07-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Say it again!

Johnny Drama
07-03-2010, 01:48 PM
^^ that would be fiber optic aka digital audio out - optical toslink cable.

THIS (7.1)- 457.00 + free S&H

Amazon.com: Onkyo HT-S5200 7.1-Channel Home Entertainment… (http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5200-7-1-Channel-Entertainment-Receiver/dp/B001VEI2OA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277867402&sr=8-2)

or THIS (5.1) - $330.00 + free S&H
Amazon.com: Onkyo HT-S3300 5.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver/Speaker Package (Black): Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3300-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B003BEDQR6/ref=pd_ts_zgc_e_281056_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&pf_rd_p=1263730122&pf_rd_s=right-5&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000512141&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=011ZDHV2RDXGFA233CMR)

Im contemplating the 5.1 you have there. Seems like it will do fine.

the dayton setup on pe.com with the 12 is decent.. it will get loud enough especially in an apartment. For receivers look for used pioneers.. Ive been watching partsexpress's dayton stuff like a hawk. The receiver is what is going to break my budget.

Check out some raw parts stores. Can find a receiver that does 100x5 for $200 or so then use the rest to create and build the speakers, enclosures, whatever you want.

Not very convenient, however.

I live in an apartment and gave away/sold all my tools. :(

6.5" speakers for $10 2 for each tower 1 for each surround 2-3 for center thats 80-90 then tweets they are having major blowout sales.. so build your own?
Peerless 835004 SDS 6-1/2" Woofer 4 Ohm | Parts-Express.com (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-250)

Same as above, had to give away all my tools.

and they're cheap!

Ill pass...

CougarGuy
07-03-2010, 06:36 PM
^ laugh if you want, its thx and sounds very good...my other room has a Denon 7.1 audessey reciever...

kpozr2
07-05-2010, 01:28 PM
price drop on the Onkyo 5.1 now to 280.00 with FREE shipping

Newegg.com - ONKYO HT-S3300 Home Theater in a Box (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120167&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3705318&SID=skim1043X499650)

Suicide Bobb
09-03-2010, 03:54 AM
Just do a search on the local craigslist for the best deals...

stangman67
09-03-2010, 04:00 AM
The logitech system is actually better than you might expect. But I'd say Onkyo makes the best budget HTIB's.

Suicide Bobb
09-03-2010, 04:04 AM
I'd say Onkyo makes the best budget HTIB's.

Yeah, that's pretty much the general consensus of the home audio world.

stangman67
09-03-2010, 04:09 AM
I personally built my HT from craigslist. Hk avr-235 receiver-150. Polk Rt800 towers- 150 - Boston acoustics sub- 150- Sony surrounds- 50 (new)

It kicks the arse out of any "mainstream" htib.

Suicide Bobb
09-03-2010, 04:16 AM
I personally built my HT from craigslist. Hk avr-235 receiver-150. Polk Rt800 towers- 150 - Boston acoustics sub- 150- Sony surrounds- 50 (new)

It kicks the arse out of any "mainstream" htib.

Yeah, that's the smart way to go about it. You must favor music at least as much as you favor movies, eh? Sounds like a setup suited for music first, movies later.

stangman67
09-03-2010, 04:22 AM
It was 70 percent aimed at music. 30 percent for movies. I got **** for surrounds and don't even use a center channel because the fronts are so close together, the center "image" function on the receiver does enough for me. It sure sounds sweet on some Journey though :)

Its a pretty nice setup for a college apt. When I get my commission, I plan on getting some PSB towers, center, sub. surrounds. A higher end HK or Denon receiver. My tv is nice, so I will keep that.

stangman67
09-03-2010, 04:28 AM
I see you are in Wa too. Ever used anything from Blue Jeans Cable?? They are in Interbay Seattle here. I built my speaker cable using stuff from them. Very affordable, no frills cable.

Suicide Bobb
09-03-2010, 04:35 AM
It was 70 percent aimed at music. 30 percent for movies. I got **** for surrounds and don't even use a center channel because the fronts are so close together, the center "image" function on the receiver does enough for me. It sure sounds sweet on some Journey though :)

Its a pretty nice setup for a college apt. When I get my commission, I plan on getting some PSB towers, center, sub. surrounds. A higher end HK or Denon receiver. My tv is nice, so I will keep that.

Man I'm good :)

Typically, for movies, people match the surrounds with the front speakers, similarly with the center.

I HIGHLY suggest you get a center though. The point of a center speaker is not the placement of it (in the center), but how the sound is apportioned. Without a center speaker, voices will sound muted. Do yourself a HUGE favor and drop $50 on a cheap center, it doesn't really matter what it is because no matter what, the difference will be phenomenal.

I had run some killer vintage speakers for my fronts for the longest time, speakers that would rival those costing thousands in the modern market. They sounded awesome on music, as they should. But it wasn't until I got a $50 Klipsch center speaker that movies really opened up. Trust me on this one, I can guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Good choice on PSB, btw. Grab some mid-fi cables while your at it, and make sure you are running at least 16ga speaker wire. Cables don't make a huge difference, but good enough to justify buying a mid-fi cable over cheap cables. Don't even think about buying high-end cables, they are as big a scam as Bose.

H/K makes nice receivers, but I don't think they are worth it unless you buy them used (then they are an awesome deal). Same goes for NAD...you will be very impressed with how NAD sounds on music. If you are buying new, poke around with Pioneer Elite, Onkyo Integra, and Denon. Then, grab a vintage Receiver/Amp for music. You may even end up using the surround sound proccesor pre-amp section of your Denon/Integra/Elite and the amp section of the vintage Receiver/Amp for both movies and music. A good bang-for-buck, warm sounding and very understated vintage receiver would be an MCS 3275. You may be able to find one for under $100...

Suicide Bobb
09-03-2010, 04:39 AM
I see you are in Wa too. Ever used anything from Blue Jeans Cable?? They are in Interbay Seattle here. I built my speaker cable using stuff from them. Very affordable, no frills cable.

No way??? I had no idea they were from Seattle! I have been deeply considering building a nice set of speaker wires using their wire - My DIY spiffy looking speaker cable guide.. - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94203)

You may want to get some banana plugs, come to think of it. They are very handy...I love my Nak BP's, you can get a set of 48 for $36 shipped on eBay, which is an amazing deal for some quality plugs...They have two screws on opposite sides to clamp the wire down, and are quite good looking. The only downside would be the fact that they could short if touched together since they are protected with sleeves or something of the sort. No problem if you're careful...

stangman67
09-03-2010, 04:49 AM
I had a center for awhile. It was the matching polk but believe it or not I hated the way the sound was proportioned in movies. I don't know if it is something with how the receiver is setup ( I am pretty good at setting things up and I exhausted the settings), but it took so much sound away from the towers. The towers almost sounded secondary to the center in all aspects. I hated it so I got rid of the center.

The blue jeans stuff is awesome. I use their 10 gauge belden 5t00up wire with their "locking banana plugs" on both ends. If you are ever up here, drop by their place. They are really nice guys and the shop is just as you might expect. They are normal guys who are extremely laid back.

My dad has some serious Home audio stuff so thats kind of where I get my obsession from. He used to have some PSB statuses a few years back and dropped them to go with Krell Res 1's. All powered by Krell Home Theater Standard electronics. I of course cannot afford anything in that price range but I'd life to spend some money on the PSB imagine line and get a nice all in one receiver ( I was looking at the sunfire's too. Look to be mighty nice units and they can be had used for a pretty decent price)

Suicide Bobb
09-03-2010, 04:56 AM
I had a center for awhile. It was the matching polk but believe it or not I hated the way the sound was proportioned in movies. I don't know if it is something with how the receiver is setup ( I am pretty good at setting things up and I exhausted the settings), but it took so much sound away from the towers. The towers almost sounded secondary to the center in all aspects. I hated it so I got rid of the center.

The blue jeans stuff is awesome. I use their 10 gauge belden 5t00up wire with their "locking banana plugs" on both ends. If you are ever up here, drop by their place. They are really nice guys and the shop is just as you might expect. They are normal guys who are extremely laid back.

My dad has some serious Home audio stuff so thats kind of where I get my obsession from. He used to have some PSB statuses a few years back and dropped them to go with Krell Res 1's. All powered by Krell Home Theater Standard electronics. I of course cannot afford anything in that price range but I'd life to spend some money on the PSB imagine line and get a nice all in one receiver ( I was looking at the sunfire's too. Look to be mighty nice units and they can be had used for a pretty decent price)

Yeah, you must have had the center all the way up. It just apportions the voices to the center, so it shouldn't take away too much from the fronts.

I definitely plan on going there on my next trip up!

Krell has some crazy ****...

stangman67
09-03-2010, 04:58 AM
Well I guess I will pick another one up when I see one pass through CL. The matching one for my towers pops up quite often actually. I'll screw around with it some more, you have me intrigued!

Suicide Bobb
09-03-2010, 05:10 AM
Well I guess I will pick another one up when I see one pass through CL. The matching one for my towers pops up quite often actually. I'll screw around with it some more, you have me intrigued!

Yeah, I think you'll like it. I just swapped my Klipsch for a Dali Vokal I, pretty much just for looks lol :D Haven't tested it for sound, yet, don't really care anyways haha.

Something else you might want to try...

When my receiver subwoofer output is turned on, it apportions the majority of the bass from the fronts to the sub. I didn't know this at first, so I was wondering why my fronts sounded so weak. I much prefer music without the sub than with. Make sure your fronts can handle large amounts of bass though, obviously. I have tried 500wpc on mine with the most bass heavy song I could find with the subwoofer outputs off and they still wanted more, so I have been trying diligently to find something to properly power them! Worse yet is trying to find a sub to keep up lol

stangman67
09-03-2010, 05:16 AM
I generally play music without the sub ,the rt800's handle the low end relatively well. Of course since they use 6.5's, they don't have a lot of low end extension. The receiver sends low freqs to the mains and the sub, I just turn the sub on when I feel like I need some more or during movies. I like the way the mains sound with the center channel off but as soon as I turn it on, the fronts seem way too laid back. I'll need to do some fiddling with the decibel settings when I pick up another center.

One day- hopefully sooner than later. the cabinets are just so beautiful

http://www.hometheaterreview.com/images/psb_imagine_speakers.jpg

Suicide Bobb
09-03-2010, 05:20 AM
I generally play music without the sub ,the rt800's handle the low end relatively well. Of course since they use 6.5's, they don't have a lot of low end extension. The receiver sends low freqs to the mains and the sub, I just turn the sub on when I feel like I need some more or during movies. I like the way the mains sound with the center channel off but as soon as I turn it on, the fronts seem way too laid back. I'll need to do some fiddling with the decibel settings when I pick up another center.

One day- hopefully sooner than later. the cabinets are just so beautiful

http://www.hometheaterreview.com/images/psb_imagine_speakers.jpg

:yumyum:

Check out Onix Rocket's...The center is known to be phenomenal, and all the speakers have a to-die-for finish

stangman67
09-03-2010, 05:26 AM
Whew, the finish on the rockets is rich. Fairly similar looking, in color to the imagines.

Suicide Bobb
09-03-2010, 05:28 AM
Whew, the finish on the rockets is rich. Fairly similar looking, in color to the imagines.

Yep. A guy on the local Craigslist occasionally posts up his Rocket Fronts, and they look spectacular...some guy is also selling a Rocket sub, I emailed him asking if he's up for any trades...I'm mostly in it for the looks honestly lol :D

stangman67
09-03-2010, 05:36 AM
One day he will cave. They have got to sound SOOO sweet though . the looks would captivate you at first but then the sound....

Suicide Bobb
09-03-2010, 05:40 AM
One day he will cave. They have got to sound SOOO sweet though . the looks would captivate you at first but then the sound....

Yeah, they are known to be awesome bang for buck speakers, but they are not well known. Which I like, personally.

Wingman0121
09-26-2010, 01:59 AM
I would say look into your local Craigslist & eBay listings, you'll be surprised at what you find.

5 years ago I bought these giant American Acoustics DS1010 and the smaller speaker on the top off of eBay for $100 and drove my *** 6 hours to get the speakers. It was worth it though.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j255/weister42/Home%20and%20Car%20Audio/IMG_0447-1.jpg

Talk about pissed neighbors haha.