PDA

View Full Version : Installing components without tweeter OK?

Sando
06-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Just got my new car and have to save a bit before I get my full system installed.

Was wondering if it is ok to install my Alpine components (SWR -13S/SWR-17S) without the tweeters or crossovers.

There would be no amp or new deck, just the factory deck going directly into the speakers. I would like to do this to help break them in, but I do not want to damage them because obviously I would be putting lower frequencys into them via no subwoofers.

Thanks ahead of time.

misfit138
06-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Don't do it.

EDIT:

I'd also like to say that I've never witnessed a single benefit from "breaking in" a speaker.

keep_hope_alive
06-18-2010, 07:30 PM
there is no reason to not install the tweeters - they'll sound like *** without them. your factory deck isn't powerful enough to damage those speakers. just don't crank the volume trying to get them loud.

install the tweeters and crossovers. locate the tweeters in either factory locations or better than factory locations. mount the crossovers in a safe and dry location. remember that the factory wiring is input to the crossover and you'll use new wire between the crossover and woofer/tweeter.

skittlesRgood
06-18-2010, 07:43 PM
ya this seems... weird. what will you do after they "break in"?

did the stock system have a tweeter? if it did then there should be crossover points in the factory amp or HU. so it sould be fine. if they are getting a full range signal than i would say "dont do it"

keep_hope_alive
06-18-2010, 10:16 PM
even if there is a factory tweeter, there is rarely crossovers in the factory amp. they just run the woofers full range and put caps on the small tweeters.