PDA

View Full Version : Snail shell enclosures....

Trixter
01-13-2004, 12:20 PM
Does any know where I can find some info. on these. I went to the PS4 site and it didn't really help. I'd like to see an internal drawing, diagrams, anything. Has anyone built one? How did it sound?

stangpounder
01-13-2004, 01:14 PM
this isnt about the snail shell encloser, but can you build me a box for two 12"L5's ??

dbhittin
01-13-2004, 01:18 PM
give me a few mins, and i will dig up some plans for a snail shell

Sorry, i cant find them on termpro.com a few people posted the plans for them, but they seem to be gone now

Randy Savage
01-13-2004, 01:26 PM
A generic layout of the snail shell won't work all that great...the enclosure is dependant upon the woofer...

If they didn't charge $3-400 a box I'd give em a try...

PopcornPlaya
01-13-2004, 02:14 PM
i have one, and could measure it and give you the basic dimensions. mine was manufactured by virtual technologies, and i assembled it, then had it sprayed with rhino linings. i also have one of their woofers, which are specifically designed for their boxes. it performs incredibly, and is supposed to be the equivalent of two woofers of the same size, in a standard ported or sealed box. this particular company went out aof business about 2 months ago, how do i know this? i was working on a sponsorship with them, being as they were a local company. there's a local audio shop that builds enclosures o this type specific for different woofers. they call them waveboxes. they aren't as good as the VT boxes, but they are close. that audio shop is sound sensations, located in marietta, ga. i'll check and see if they have a website so you could possibly contact them about this. as far as how well these type boxes function, they work well, with the woofer i have for that design. i am trying to get my dimensions down for one that i am wanting to build for the new woofer(s) i am getting, as soon as i decide on which ones (single 13W7 or dual 12W7's).

PopcornPlaya
01-13-2004, 02:17 PM
here's sound sensations link:

http://www.sound-sensations.com/

DBfan187
01-13-2004, 02:33 PM
Hope this help's out! I think one of the secrets to a snail shell is that the port diameter should be a little more than half the size of the cone of the sub that is being used! If you look at one of PS4's videos you can tell this!

Here's a 12'' version - you'll have to play with it of course! They have to be built to the specs. of your particular driver and they cannot be tuned! Most of the time their tuned around 40Hz!

http://derek.hypermart.net/SnailShell/12%20Inch%20snail%20shell%20dimensions%20v1.jpg

i3abyjay25
01-13-2004, 05:53 PM
i have one, and could measure it and give you the basic dimensions. mine was manufactured by virtual technologies, and i assembled it, then had it sprayed with rhino linings. i also have one of their woofers, which are specifically designed for their boxes. it performs incredibly, and is supposed to be the equivalent of two woofers of the same size, in a standard ported or sealed box. this particular company went out aof business about 2 months ago, how do i know this? i was working on a sponsorship with them, being as they were a local company. there's a local audio shop that builds enclosures o this type specific for different woofers. they call them waveboxes. they aren't as good as the VT boxes, but they are close. that audio shop is sound sensations, located in marietta, ga. i'll check and see if they have a website so you could possibly contact them about this. as far as how well these type boxes function, they work well, with the woofer i have for that design. i am trying to get my dimensions down for one that i am wanting to build for the new woofer(s) i am getting, as soon as i decide on which ones (single 13W7 or dual 12W7's).

sup, what part of Ga r u from? the builder of those boxes.. Les.... Ive heard so many stories about him... ive set in afew of his cars and i know most the people that work their at SS...Mark, Gonz, Jacob....

Randy Savage
01-13-2004, 07:29 PM
Hope this help's out! I think one of the secrets to a snail shell is that the port diameter should be a little more than half the size of the cone of the sub that is being used! If you look at one of PS4's videos you can tell this!

Here's a 12'' version - you'll have to play with it of course! They have to be built to the specs. of your particular driver and they cannot be tuned! Most of the time their tuned around 40Hz!

http://derek.hypermart.net/SnailShell/12%20Inch%20snail%20shell%20dimensions%20v1.jpg

I see the copy/past function is properly working :laugh:

DBfan187
01-13-2004, 07:32 PM
I see the copy/past function is properly working :laugh:
YEP! Actullay, believe it or not the 2 paragraphs at the top are mine! Yes, I wrote those!

Trixter
01-13-2004, 08:33 PM
Are they really that much louder than a standare ported box? Has anyone compaired numbers? If so, I guess my next question would be: How do I know what dimensions to use for a certain driver? Particularlly a 15" Brahma. I'd like to try and make one.

DBfan187
01-13-2004, 08:45 PM
got this off Trempro:

First off let me introduce myself so you don't think I'm just another guy who's infatuated with the Snail Shell. I'm Brian Johnson, I am a partner in Powered 4 Sound (http://www.powered4sound.com/) , the company who designed and manufactures the box.

What you have drawn up is a ported enclosure. You are using the same means and methods that are used to design sealed, ported, and similar boxes.

If you search this forum, as well as a few others (Team RF, Decware, P4S, etc.) you will find that many people are working on figuring out "the magic". My advice is, try and think outside the box. Think hard and with an open mind.

LoneRanger
01-13-2004, 11:11 PM
there are much easier, more efficient ways to get loud than using snail shell....those things are a ***** to build.

_MstANg_
01-13-2004, 11:12 PM
what does it mean by adjustable board?

DBfan187
01-13-2004, 11:32 PM
what does it mean by adjustable board?

In the pic up above, it shows an adjustible board. The board adjusts inside the main enclosure to restrict/allow the amount of air to be released into the port! A snail shell works in the theory to use the waves inside the box to enhance the reproduction of sound! When you make one, just be sure to have the angled corners so theres no standing waves inside the box. The rest is based upon the "Quater-Wave Theory"

ngsm13
01-14-2004, 12:53 AM
a theory that i have heard from plenty of people is jack. BUT yeah...just looks similar to using a backwave board...x-cept it actaully serves as part of the port. PLUS, listen to donn...he knows. peace

NG

BTW donn, hit me up on AIM...and i got $

bumpin_blazer
01-14-2004, 01:06 AM
i agree with my homie donn:D. and yes it looks MUCH similar to a backwave box. once again i'm repeating what those who know more than me or as much have already stated. trixter if you really wanna be loud, talk to donn he's one of the best guys i know and always helps:D........even a moron like me:D

adam

DBfan187
01-14-2004, 01:40 AM
Try building a ported box inside a TL. Then tune the port to the fs of the sub. Then tune the line to the fs of the sub.
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/318000-318999/318757_19_full.jpg

ngsm13
01-14-2004, 01:44 AM
i'll stick with my design...with my 2 magnums...with 2800 watts RMS....and yeah...i'm good. peace

NG

LoneRanger
01-14-2004, 01:57 AM
Try building a ported box inside a TL. Then tune the port to the fs of the sub. Then tune the line to the fs of the sub.
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/318000-318999/318757_19_full.jpg

Are you a sado-masochist? Do you enjoy inflicting pain on yourself?

TL enclosures are all well and good for applications where flat response is desired, but they are very driver specific and even tho they do have a nice gain over simple ported, the gain is no where near that of several other types of enclosures (even silly old bandpass). TL enclosures are used a lot in HT applications where SQ is of the utmost concern and SPL is just a nice "by the way". If you want to get really loud, study up on bandpass and ABC. I'd show you a nice little diagram of a project we call "Black Beauty" but i've poured my time and effort into this baby for way too long to just give it away.......oh what the hell.....I'll share :)

And if you'd like to buy me some new subs for my daily driver, i might even tell you how it works :greedy:

ngsm13
01-14-2004, 02:02 AM
donn, u should be on AIM. hit me up man, peace

NG

DBfan187
01-14-2004, 02:03 AM
PAIN! I like pain, or I'm atleast used to it! I like challenges.

Go ahead and share with us.PLEASE? Sorry, but I don't have enough $$$$$ to buy you new subs, but I'll buy you a beer?

bumpin_blazer
01-14-2004, 02:08 AM
PAIN! I like pain, or I'm atleast used to it! I like challenges.

Go ahead and share with us.PLEASE? Sorry, but I don't have enough $$$$$ to buy you new subs, but I'll buy you a beer?

i offered him like 80 bucks for his box designs he won't share. and he has a design louder than black beauty. trust me though you don't wanna attempt those without extensive reading up on bandpass enclosure's.

adam

PopcornPlaya
01-15-2004, 02:56 PM
sup, what part of Ga r u from? the builder of those boxes.. Les.... Ive heard so many stories about him... ive set in afew of his cars and i know most the people that work their at SS...Mark, Gonz, Jacob....

im about 15 minutes north of marietta. as far as SS goes, they copied their original box from a VT box. then, they made small changes, and made them woofer specific. but still, the VT outperforms any sub i have ever heard in one of their boxes. i know this as fact. my ex-gf had one of their wave boxes for a kicker comp vr she had. and it put out impressive numbers. the box was built specific for her woofer. i unloaded it, and put my VT RIP hammer in it, with the same amp. my woofer, even though the box was built to the specs for the kicker, put out 5 dB more than hers. my VT box is a little larger than hers, and has a little different specs, but the woofer still out performed hers, in a box that was built specific to her woofer. i like these enclosures, and yes, they are a biotch to build, and get the dimensions just right on. i have been working on figuring the dimensions for an odd shaped enclosure for a 13W7 with a snail shell port. and still haven't gotten them just right. its a little easier to figure when you have a square/rectangle box, but this one is not either of those shapes. so its a little tougher to figure.

marleyskater420
01-16-2004, 03:41 AM
i offered him like 80 bucks for his box designs he won't share. and he has a design louder than black beauty. trust me though you don't wanna attempt those without extensive reading up on bandpass enclosure's.

adam
I honestly don't think Donn will share Black Beauty's design. It's crazy though.

The other box didnt work as well as planned.

Bandpass=funny.

Think about it..

bumpin_blazer
01-16-2004, 02:39 PM
I honestly don't think Donn will share Black Beauty's design. It's crazy though.

The other box didnt work as well as planned.

Bandpass=funny.

Think about it..

i thought the quasi turned out well?? assuming that is what you are talking about.

adam

LoneRanger
01-16-2004, 02:49 PM
That's the top-open view :)

Trixter
01-16-2004, 03:42 PM

OK, I guess I'm not all with it so...what is that and what is it supposed to do? What side does the sub go on? I don't need a long explaination; just something short and to the point.

DBfan187
01-16-2004, 03:52 PM
I'm w/ Trixter - WTF is that?
Name?
Dimensions?

LoneRanger
01-16-2004, 04:16 PM
Name: Black Beauty
Dimensions: You Wish
Sub Goes: On the baffle that seperates the two chambers.

DBfan187
01-16-2004, 04:18 PM
How's the SQ on it?
How much $$$$$$?

ngsm13
01-16-2004, 04:20 PM

ahhh...i gotcha perfectly. good stuff man...VERY good. makes me want to buy LEAP...wh well i'm too poor. peace

NG

LoneRanger
01-16-2004, 04:22 PM
NGSM: Get your *** on AOL

DBfan187: SQ *****...one note wonder for competitions. NOT FOR SALE. Ask adam if you don't believe me....nothing short of a open-minded hot chick and a bottle of booze will make me come off those dimensions

DBfan187
01-16-2004, 04:28 PM
I'll buy the booze, but for the chick - go to Dayton for all of those open-minded, low class, scantly dress females! I hear they'll do just about anybody for anything! I'm not speaking from experience or anything! :p

The booze is to drink first to make them look hot! Atleast thats the plan!:smash:

bigred78797
01-17-2004, 01:59 AM
I used to shop at Sound Sensations too... too much. They were the first car audio store i went into and the only one i bought stuff from. I got one of their wave boxes then copied it pretty much successfully. But that was only after i started redoing my entire system in audiobahn... from them. I had the "WAVEBOX" built for a single 10" pioneer premier IMPP 1041DVC ( the Gold Coned ones). A few of my other friends got that same basic setup in thier cars shortly afterwards so i got measurement of their boxes and compared them with mine to pretty much find out what they did. BUUTTTTT i lost all of my research that i did with that on my last harddrive wipe :(.

Oh but back on the subject i think i know what you guys are talking about and i did some light research on them a while back... its either a TQWT ( Tapered Quarter Wave Tube or vough pipe) or a Horn im thinking it's the horn because it has the ability to make speakers go from 5% effeciency to up to 75% effecient which means that you would need 15 speaker to get the same amount of volume that you would get from that 1 :scared: . I'll do some more research i do have a few pics on here are these what they looked like somewhat?

And here is a website of where i found this information at. :) hope it helped. Im gonna try and learn how to make these... if they are for subwoofers. but i saw NOT BASSLESS in bold so im guessing that they can be for subs.

http://yu-ra.tripod.com/horn.htm

bumpin_blazer
01-17-2004, 02:09 AM
NGSM: Get your *** on AOL

DBfan187: SQ *****...one note wonder for competitions. NOT FOR SALE. Ask adam if you don't believe me....nothing short of a open-minded hot chick and a bottle of booze will make me come off those dimensions

yeah he won't sell me design's lol. all he says is "read young apprentice" and i have yet to read the information he gave me b/c i lost the link. do i plan on reading it all?? YES, why b/c i want to be able to pull anything close to the #'s he pulls. speaking of which donn we gotta talk man i need some help on me SPL box we talked about.

adam

Redford
01-17-2004, 03:04 AM
I wonder if you could build one of these with an inverted subwoofer... that would be nice.

LoneRanger
01-17-2004, 03:31 PM
Oh but back on the subject i think i know what you guys are talking about and i did some light research on them a while back... its either a TQWT ( Tapered Quarter Wave Tube or vough pipe) or a Horn im thinking it's the horn because it has the ability to make speakers go from 5% effeciency to up to 75% effecient which means that you would need 15 speaker to get the same amount of volume that you would get from that 1 :scared: . I'll do some more research i do have a few pics on here are these what they looked like somewhat?

75% efficient, eh?

Not to be rude, but i'm going to call bullshit on that one......

DBfan187
01-17-2004, 03:37 PM
Isn't supposed to be 9.2dB's higher than a sealed enclosure in the 30-45Hz range?

LoneRanger
01-17-2004, 08:58 PM
Isn't supposed to be 9.2dB's higher than a sealed enclosure in the 30-45Hz range?

+9.2dB = 31.5% more efficient :)

If his design is 75% more efficient, it's going to be about 20dB over sealed.....

DBfan187
01-17-2004, 10:26 PM
The P4S guys have a box called "The Centerfold" that is rated 19.6dB's over sealed. It is supposed to use an "areopedic membrane"(sp?) What's the efficiency advantage on that?

packerfan
01-17-2004, 10:43 PM
Try an abc box, i hear its much louder (and sounds better) then the PS4 box. It basicly have two tunings/two chambers and three ports blah blah blah.....and the box that was used to make the 6.5"s sound like 15s is much more complicated then most people think. And i have the design, muahahahahahaha!

marleyskater420
01-18-2004, 04:24 AM
yeah he won't sell me design's lol. all he says is "read young apprentice" and i have yet to read the information he gave me b/c i lost the link. do i plan on reading it all?? YES, why b/c i want to be able to pull anything close to the #'s he pulls. speaking of which donn we gotta talk man i need some help on me SPL box we talked about.

adam
hit me up on aim for the link. I don't have it right now. It's the speaker wave website right?

Try an abc box, i hear its much louder (and sounds better) then the PS4 box. It basicly have two tunings/two chambers and three ports blah blah blah.....and the box that was used to make the 6.5"s sound like 15s is much more complicated then most people think. And i have the design, muahahahahahaha!
Theres louder boxes.... you just don't know them.

LoneRanger
01-18-2004, 04:55 PM
The P4S guys have a box called "The Centerfold" that is rated 19.6dB's over sealed. It is supposed to use an "areopedic membrane"(sp?) What's the efficiency advantage on that?

I've seen plans for and an actual "centerfold box" and let me tell you, it's nowhere near 20dB over sealed....i'm beginning to think that you guys can't even grasp how much 20dB is....For example, Mr. Marley Skater Tyler Man is hitting 147's with his 18 in a sealed box. If we threw said sub into this magical mystery box, he should hit 167....does that sound realistic to you?

:smash: Me either.

I don't care if the virgin mary flew down from heaven and blessed that box, it's not going to be that freakin efficient.....and if it were, wouldn't all SPL competitors use it?

dbhittin
01-18-2004, 04:59 PM
i love the ABC boxes and use them everytime. normal slot ported boxes cant pound as hard as them in a daily set up. Anyone need help making one, let me know.

DBfan187
01-18-2004, 05:01 PM
I couldn't agree w/ you more! I was just quoting what P4S guys say, and they kind of explain it over in the DECWARE forums!

packerfan
01-18-2004, 05:07 PM
I know theres loud boxes marley, im just saying, ABC boxes are louder, cheaper, sound better.

marleyskater420
01-18-2004, 07:54 PM
I know theres loud boxes marley, im just saying, ABC boxes are louder, cheaper, sound better.
For street, there IS louder, cheaper...uhmm.. how? Ill still need 2 sheets of wood either way I go, so cheaper is all relavant to what your box size needs. Sound better, yes.

bumpin_blazer
01-18-2004, 10:51 PM
yeah i am looking to make a 4th order bandpass box for my Si D2 12" then compare it side by side to the backwave box. right now i'm working on getting my car metered so i can make the next step:D.

adam

marleyskater420
01-19-2004, 12:27 AM
yeah i am looking to make a 4th order bandpass box for my Si D2 12" then compare it side by side to the backwave box. right now i'm working on getting my car metered so i can make the next step:D.

adam
Sounds like a cool idea!

Was it you that tried to IM me earlier? It was a JMksomething , so yea, hit me up later, i couldnt accept it at the time.