PDA

View Full Version : recommendation needed...

cyjad
01-13-2004, 03:51 AM
I'ved got 6 1/2" Polks to replace my stock 6 1/2"s all around. Plus I'm getting a 12" sub and amp.

Some people tell me that I should wire in some bass blockers with cutoffs at 150Hz to all my 6 1/2" since they won't be able to handle the low freqs.

However, my sub amp has a fixed lowpass setting of 80Hz.

So what happens between 80Hz and 150Hz?

Should I wire in the bass blockers???? :confused:

Also, does anyone know what these bass blockers are?

Berry47
01-13-2004, 11:12 AM
just get some for 80 hz then. Its that simple. Most 6.5's can play to aroud 50-60hz just fine.

Unreal
01-13-2004, 03:19 PM
Bass blockers are just caps you wire inline with the speakers.

nosaj070
01-13-2004, 04:08 PM
Bass blockers are just caps you wire inline with the speakers.
?? :) crossovers...very simple ones, a cap is usually short for a capacitor which is a completely different subject. But most decent hu's will have a High Pass Filter built into it, which does exactly what a bassblocker would do (just active instead of passive corssover) . If not though, just get the bblockers around 60-80hz.

iceteebone
01-13-2004, 04:19 PM
i use bass blocker a lot and they great for small speakers or even the bigger speakers and since you will have a sub there is no need for the 6.5's to play lower than 80hz and they will allow you turn up the volume with less distortion. plus best of all they are cheap. if you don't like them you are only out like $8

nosaj070
01-13-2004, 04:22 PM
i use bass blocker a lot and they great for small speakers or even the bigger speakers and since you will have a sub there is no need for the 6.5's to play lower than 80hz and they will allow you turn up the volume with less distortion. plus best of all they are cheap. if you don't like them you are only out like $8

I would actually recomend to cut off frequencies as low as your speakers can handle. If you cut everythign off at 80, there will be aorund a 30hz range where you can completely tell its coming from the back of the car (ususally down to around 40-50hz) So if they are crossed lower, it would make it appear that the bass was coming from up front rather than from the back.