PDA

View Full Version : Compnent location conundrum

geonfreaq
06-16-2010, 11:52 PM
So I bought a set of components (finally) from a member on here and before I actually go to install them I would lie to ask you a question.

Is it worth making a set of kicks for the comps or should I just mount them in stock locations?

The mid bass driver would be in my doors at theigh level and the tweet would be mounted behind the mirrors.

Now I could also make kicks for just the mid bass driver and still mount the tweet behind the mirrors.

I think having the tweets closer to ear level would make more sense but having never dealt with comps before I figured I would come and ask the pros :)

Jason

DarkScorpion
06-17-2010, 02:42 AM
Define "behind the mirrors." Do you mean in the dashboard? In the A-pillars?

Door mounted mids will be fine, but kick panels can make a HUGE difference in your sound stage (usually for the better). If you have the ability to do so, I'd go with kicks, but door mounted mids definitely aren't bad.

geonfreaq
06-17-2010, 10:40 AM
In the triangle cover behidn where the side view mirros mount on the door.

misfit138
06-17-2010, 10:42 AM
If you have the skills, do some kicks...

geonfreaq
06-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Put the tweeters in the kicks too?

Im going to install them in the door first but since I dont have an option to "try" the kicks without hacking up my kick panels, I figured I would ask haha

misfit138
06-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Dude, you're overthinking this.

- If you have the skills and want to be bothered with making kicks, that's cool. And yes, the tweets can be mounted in the kicks
- If you don't want to be bothered with all that, the mirror location is usually fine.
- The a-pillar location is pretty nice as well.

If you aren't a huge SQ douche, just mount the fuckers... :)

hispls
06-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Mounting components in kicks is great for imaging and minimizing phase and delay issues, but usually at the expense of some low extension as opposed to mounting in well deadened doors. Tweet in the A pillar can be a bit un-natural unless it's crossed over very high IMO.

If you mount in kicks try to aim both speakers at the dome light (or that general area...center of the roof).

It may also depend on the components too. All speakers behave somewhat differently off and on-axis (on-axis is listening to them pointed straight at you, off-axis is listening at some angle typically 20-40 degrees off from straight on). If you can find that data you might better predict how they'll do and how much you'll gain pointing them straight at you (kickpanels). Most GOOD car specific drivers are designed to perform well off-axis since that's typically what you get with dropping into factory holes.

More ideally if you can temp them up and just tape them or set them in or around the area you're considering and do some listening before you get into a big build project you'll know more what to expect before you do anything permanent.

geonfreaq
06-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Dude, you're overthinking this. - If you have the skills and want to be bothered with making kicks, that's cool. And yes, the tweets can be mounted in the kicks
- If you don't want to be bothered with all that, the mirror location is usually fine.
- The a-pillar location is pretty nice as well.

If you aren't a huge SQ douche, just mount the fuckers... :)

Bad habbit of mine haha...'

Thanks guys :)

keep_hope_alive
06-17-2010, 10:48 PM
hispls nailed it. re-read his post as many times as it takes to fully understand what he is saying.

airspace is a big deal with kick panels. without adequate airspace you will have greatly reduced midbass response. even if you vent the kicks like i did - you can still have issues. i went all out with my kicks, and i have a resonance issue that will require a lot of added mass to the floor - i'm exciting a mode.

the soundstage with proper kicks is AMAZING. it brings everything to where it needs to be.

the sail panel (behind mirror) is a poor tweeter location IMO. it's too close to you, and too far back (away from windshield). you want your tweeters at ear level, and as far from you as possible - apillars are easy locations to use. recognize that tweeter height and location will mostly determine stage height and depth. the next issue is aiming. some like them off-axis, some on-axis, some aimed at the dome light. it depends on the tweeter and the vehicle. testing is key. before you build tweeter pods, use velcro to test a dozen tweeter locations and aiming. mounting the tweeter should be the last thing you do.

keep_hope_alive
06-17-2010, 10:48 PM
additionally, testing is important.

install the speakers in the door while you're building the kicks. kicks take time to get right. unless you can dedicate 2-3 days non-stop, plan on them taking you a few weeks of working evenings on them.

you can buy q-forms for a basis of design, but removing carpet, relocating computers and harnesses, relocating the hood release, etc. are involved with kicks. fabrication using fiberglass is recommended - which is time consuming itself. try to vent them into the vehicle, if possible.