PDA

View Full Version : BEEFY tweeters

Haunz
06-16-2010, 12:22 AM
I need some heavy duty tweeters for my car. They will be highpassed around 2.5kHz with about 100 watts @ 4ohm on tap. Budget is $200 max.

Right now I'm looking at the Morel CAT 378's but I'd prefer something with a lower DCR for the most headroom from my amp.

Anyone have any suggestions ?

goingdef
06-16-2010, 12:32 AM
Mb quart dtk-30's are rated @70w but I have mine off a T400.2 with no problems but you will have to cross them over @ around 3.2khz, I scooped mine off ebay for around $50-$60 iirc. They also included some crossovers that look quality but I never hooked them up just used the ones I had in already.

galacticmonkey
06-26-2010, 03:23 AM
Check out the Crescendo bullet tweeter.

*SlappinAzz*
06-26-2010, 03:26 AM
check out the crescendo bullet tweeter.

this

keep_hope_alive
06-26-2010, 04:46 AM
why does beefy mean bullet? bullet tweeters are fine in low end PA cabinets.

Morel has a nice selection of tweeters with high power handling. Most of the models i'm thinking of are out of your budget.

Morel MT-22?

T3mpest
06-30-2010, 03:25 AM
Because "beefy" when it comes to a tweeter means high effeciency, end of story. Power on a tweeter is a waste. How big of a coil do you think a driver that is only 1" or .75" across has? The DCR being lower wont' help, tweeters on a constant 20 watts or more will go poof pretty quickly. Very little power is actually sent to a tweeter on a regular basis so that's why you can put a 70 watt amp on one and be safe. The spectral breakdown of music will not usually call for massive tweeter power handling. However, if anyone wants to test my theory, go get a 0db test tone at 3k or so, get a decent aftermarket hu and go town on it, I bet you'll find the tweets either a.break after a minute or so, or B get FAR louder than you thought they could.

Anyway back to the main point of my post. High effeciency tweets are the way to go. A bullet tweet really isn't that bad, the phase plug can help control directivity. Crossfire the tweets toward the center for best results. This lets the tweet furthest from you be more on axis, so you get a more balanced response. Most low end PA cabinets use better drivers than most CA brands. The only major difference is pro audio people do it for a living hence they arent' stupid, they won't pay for 500% mark up on relatively low quality drivers. Anyway this is supposing he's trying to keep up with a SPL setup which since he's packign 4/0 gauge lol, I assume he is. Nothing morel makes will be heard over 150db's of bass.

galacticmonkey
07-01-2010, 03:13 AM
I ran my Selenium ST350s in my van at 150rms each. They screamed.

GLN305
07-01-2010, 03:30 AM
Earthquake TW-35S

T3mpest
07-01-2010, 03:36 AM
you had alot of drivers in the van IIRC. What amp were you using for that? Lol forgot to quote I'm talking to Gmonk.

galacticmonkey
07-01-2010, 03:40 AM
3 Crunch 1800.4s and a Crunch 1400.2.

Haunz
07-01-2010, 05:00 AM
Because "beefy" when it comes to a tweeter means high effeciency, end of story. Power on a tweeter is a waste. How big of a coil do you think a driver that is only 1" or .75" across has? The DCR being lower wont' help, tweeters on a constant 20 watts or more will go poof pretty quickly. Very little power is actually sent to a tweeter on a regular basis so that's why you can put a 70 watt amp on one and be safe. The spectral breakdown of music will not usually call for massive tweeter power handling. However, if anyone wants to test my theory, go get a 0db test tone at 3k or so, get a decent aftermarket hu and go town on it, I bet you'll find the tweets either a.break after a minute or so, or B get FAR louder than you thought they could.

Anyway back to the main point of my post. High effeciency tweets are the way to go. A bullet tweet really isn't that bad, the phase plug can help control directivity. Crossfire the tweets toward the center for best results. This lets the tweet furthest from you be more on axis, so you get a more balanced response. Most low end PA cabinets use better drivers than most CA brands. The only major difference is pro audio people do it for a living hence they arent' stupid, they won't pay for 500% mark up on relatively low quality drivers. Anyway this is supposing he's trying to keep up with a SPL setup which since he's packign 4/0 gauge lol, I assume he is. Nothing morel makes will be heard over 150db's of bass.

I'm not sure where you are going on that one.. I've got about 100 'instantaneous' watts of power on hand at 4ohms.. if you want to do the math on that go ahead, but yea I'm sure the tweeters will see less then 20 continuous watts of power..

The sub section is a pair of 15s built to be low end monsters in a sealed box running with about 2kw of power... probably only hitting low to mid 140's, but can play nice and low... overall the system is loud as stink but I need some tweeters that will keep up...

I will check out everyones suggestions !

galacticmonkey
07-01-2010, 02:41 PM
For the price, you cant beat the Crescendo bullet or the Selenium ST200. Both are around $20 a pop and sound great and get real loud.

Just be sure you have some mid to back it up.

Wingman0121
07-01-2010, 08:23 PM
I remember years ago a company made a tweeter that's like 10" in diameter, the biggest dome tweeter ever made? Forgot what brand and I can't find it on the internet.

galacticmonkey
07-01-2010, 09:08 PM
I know Audiopipe makes a 6" bullet tweeter.

ciaonzo
07-01-2010, 09:34 PM
I remember years ago a company made a tweeter that's like 10" in diameter, the biggest dome tweeter ever made? Forgot what brand and I can't find it on the internet.Your description reminded me of these but they're definitely woofers. Not sure if they're the same thing you're actually talking about. It's like an 8" coil, though!

Fotex 10inch Speakers - eBay (item 150442478728 end time Jul-09-10 11:52:17 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/Fotex-10inch-Speakers-/150442478728?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item2307120c88)

keep_hope_alive
07-02-2010, 12:40 AM
Find some used Image Dynamics HLCD horns.

ciaonzo
07-02-2010, 01:03 AM
Haunz, years ago I took a pair of 2" compression drivers and removed the back chamber (which actually reveals the front of the titanium diaphragm), as well as the compression chamber/phase plug area on the rear side of the diaphragm (which provides the proper compression/throat area before the actual horn), then placed the metal cup/chamber on the true back side of the diaphragm with some heavy felt to absorb the rear wave. It would be on the large side and a bit directional regarding off-axis response but it will also be some of the most effortless and dynamic playback you've ever heard. You can address the off-axis response with a foam ring in front of the diaphragm to resemble the power response of a smaller dome. I used them on a very clean 75 watts crossed at approximately 500Hz my pain threshold was reached far before the driver's limits were. You can find pretty good deals on PE for some 1", 1.4", and 2" compression drivers. High efficiency, low power compression, low distortion.

Do it.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may00/images/meyer_diag.l.gif

RAM_Designs
07-02-2010, 01:09 AM
^^^How was the upper end response on those?

ciaonzo
07-02-2010, 01:21 AM
Once the foam ring was in place and a tiny bit of EQ love was applied to relax the midrange, it was superb. This pair had a copper sleeve on the pole so inductance was super low.

Upper end response on compression drivers usually suffers as the result of a poor phase plug/compression/throat area. Once that's out of the mix, they perform very smoothly with great extension in both directions. Newer compression drivers have much better phase plugs but that would only apply if you were going to use it with a horn, not what I'm describing here.

Haunz
07-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Haunz, years ago I took a pair of 2" compression drivers and removed the back chamber (which actually reveals the front of the titanium diaphragm), as well as the compression chamber/phase plug area on the rear side of the diaphragm (which provides the proper compression/throat area before the actual horn), then placed the metal cup/chamber on the true back side of the diaphragm with some heavy felt to absorb the rear wave. It would be on the large side and a bit directional regarding off-axis response but it will also be some of the most effortless and dynamic playback you've ever heard. You can address the off-axis response with a foam ring in front of the diaphragm to resemble the power response of a smaller dome. I used them on a very clean 75 watts crossed at approximately 500Hz my pain threshold was reached far before the driver's limits were. You can find pretty good deals on PE for some 1", 1.4", and 2" compression drivers. High efficiency, low power compression, low distortion.

Do it.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may00/images/meyer_diag.l.gif

LOL, I like the way you think...

There are a bunch of compression drivers laying around my dad's sound shop.. I might have to grab a couple and try what you suggest...

Thx for the input !

JimJ
07-02-2010, 07:51 PM
I know Audiopipe makes a 6" bullet tweeter.

I heard the 3's, they were possibly one of the worst things I've ever heard.

RAM_Designs
07-02-2010, 08:11 PM

It's Audiopipe, what do you expect?

James Bang
07-02-2010, 08:12 PM

the 6"s might be two times better.

keep_hope_alive
07-02-2010, 11:41 PM
the 6"s might be two times better.

lmao. probably not. bullet tweeters are awful. compression drivers can be awesome.