PDA

View Full Version : SLOW acceleration in drive

bigwheel15
06-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Alright well I have a 1995 jeep Cherokee with an auto trans and since I've owned it I've been noticing something strange. When I put the vehicle into drive it accelerates extremely slow, to the point if im sitting at a light at the bottom of a steep hill it wont make it up.
However if I take off with the trans down in first it accelerates just fine. Ive checked the trans fluid several times and its okay. I don't know too much about trans so hopefully you guys can help me out.

KidThump
06-10-2010, 07:35 PM
On an automatic transmission, if you do the whole first to second to drive thing alot, it will eventually be a crap tranny and not pull great or just break....

It could be anything in the drivetrain but you shouldn't expect a jeep to go fast anyway....

bigwheel15
06-10-2010, 07:49 PM
On an automatic transmission, if you do the whole first to second to drive thing alot, it will eventually be a crap tranny and not pull great or just break....

It could be anything in the drivetrain but you shouldn't expect a jeep to go fast anyway....

I don't regularly shift the trans, I just tried it in first to see if there was a difference and noticed it accelerated normally.

And I don't expect it to go fast, im talking about it is just ridiculous how slow it accelerates, to the point it cant make it up semi-steep hills from a stop. Ive driven another jeep Cherokee one year newer than mine and it didn't experience the problem im having with mine.

Im hoping I can just get an idea of what might be the cause or different things I should have checked.

audioatg
06-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Its most likely the 1-2 shift selonoid has gone bad. The test you did is a good test to find out if its electrical or mechanical. If you can put it down in first gear and take off fine. The trans is okay. There are a couple of other threads on jeeps I have posted in about this some what same problem. Try searching for them....

Other then that. Doing all the seloniods wouldnt be a bad thing. There are three I think pretty sure on it. Been a few since I did mine. But they dont cost that much if you search online for a trans store.

audioatg
06-11-2010, 11:47 AM

I have no problem with my jeep going fast. Or taking off fast.