PDA

View Full Version : cardboard fiberglass?

jakebf2
06-10-2010, 03:49 AM
is it ok to use cardboard instead of a fabric to fiberglass over? most of the box is wood and i just need 2 panels to curve and fit to the sub. i keep hearing that fabric will sag too much and i need cardboard so i was just going to go that way i am thinking... any comments would be useful :confused:

AllDayMJ
06-10-2010, 04:04 AM
just got done fiberglassing the wheel well of my vr4 tonight acutally .. im sure the cardboard would work if it looks ok when it was bent..

fiberglass is rather predictable if you take your time and plan everything out ahead of time. also an extra set of hand helps A LOT.. just be sure to mix the resin not very hot and it will help you with a decent amount of working time.. also watch out for overlapping pieces so you dont create air pockets, a nice roller helps a lot if its very smooth/clean..

ramos
06-10-2010, 07:13 AM
is it ok to use cardboard instead of a fabric to fiberglass over? most of the box is wood and i just need 2 panels to curve and fit to the sub. i keep hearing that fabric will sag too much and i need cardboard so i was just going to go that way i am thinking... any comments would be useful :confused:

I guess cardboard will work, never used it personally. Cloth won't sag if you stretch tight, and secure the edges well :)

nateberrier
06-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Im going to start glassing this weekend. Never done it before and im a bit nervous. Is it ok to dip the mat in the resin and wring the excess out? like paper mache. also how much hardener do you need to use? i have this big can and a coule tiny tubes of hardener. I dont want to fk up and have a bowl full of rocky resin or a door panel with sticky stuff on it.

ramos
06-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Im going to start glassing this weekend. Never done it before and im a bit nervous. Is it ok to dip the mat in the resin and wring the excess out? like paper mache. also how much hardener do you need to use? i have this big can and a coule tiny tubes of hardener. I dont want to fk up and have a bowl full of rocky resin or a door panel with sticky stuff on it.

I wouldn't try ringing it out , the mat will mush together and you will never get it straightened out again. Use a piece of cardboard as a wetting board. Cut your mat/cloth into strips ( enough to use up your resin ) then lay them on the carboard and dab the resin on with a brush to saturate them. Peel and apply the glass.

amount of hardener depends on which % of mekp you have
using 1 oz of resin as a measure

.5% mekp is about 4-5 drops per ounce of resin
1 % mekp is 8-10 drops
1.5% is 12-15 drops

They sell 2% for extremely thin laminations, but it's hard to find

I usually go for 10 drops or so per oz in the summer time. :)

jakebf2
06-11-2010, 01:58 PM
i found some rubber belting stuff at macs that will work great to form to the box

FIMPALASS
06-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Go to the fabric store and ask for the stuff they make girls swimsuits with. I think it is called ponte and stretch it as tight as possible.