PDA

View Full Version : ---READ---Something that would make fiberglass more fun for everyone!!

mayday0017
01-12-2004, 03:42 AM
Ok I have tried afew different things in my years of fiberglassing. I have no problem throwing together a box or kicks or pannels or anything really quick. made new tweeter pods to replace factory pods but fit like factory last week took 45 min to do both sides. Not to long... Spent 6 hours bondoing and sanding what was an almost perfect serfice to begin with (used grill cloth gets you that much closer to smooth) Basicly all we need is some form of THICK primer or deluted bondo that you can spray on. I have read about deluteing bono with alcohol and you can spray it then the alcohol drys off. Scared to try this don't want to ruin a $150 paint gun. Also tried mixing fiberglass resin w/ bondo and using fiberglass hardner, works decent you can paint it on and it drys nice and hard. However for small applications this is pointless and once again you STILL have to sand the **** out of it. Does anyone know any product that you can just use grill cloth as your outside serfice paint it down w/ resin let it dry then hit 2 or 3 coats of some imaginary thick primer and then light sand and ready for paint? This is what I am looking for and if anyone knows of any of these types of products make a post send me an e-mail [email protected] hell im me mayday0017 I'll pay for it in answering any questions anyone else might have. I just know that Rockford changed their whole line which means we will be getting all new product in, in the next month so that means time to gut the car and do it all over again.

Thanks, Robert

smullen
01-12-2004, 11:50 AM
Ok I have tried afew different things in my years of fiberglassing. I have no problem throwing together a box or kicks or pannels or anything really quick. made new tweeter pods to replace factory pods but fit like factory last week took 45 min to do both sides. Not to long... Spent 6 hours bondoing and sanding what was an almost perfect serfice to begin with (used grill cloth gets you that much closer to smooth) Basicly all we need is some form of THICK primer or deluted bondo that you can spray on. I have read about deluteing bono with alcohol and you can spray it then the alcohol drys off. Scared to try this don't want to ruin a $150 paint gun. Also tried mixing fiberglass resin w/ bondo and using fiberglass hardner, works decent you can paint it on and it drys nice and hard. However for small applications this is pointless and once again you STILL have to sand the **** out of it. Does anyone know any product that you can just use grill cloth as your outside serfice paint it down w/ resin let it dry then hit 2 or 3 coats of some imaginary thick primer and then light sand and ready for paint? This is what I am looking for and if anyone knows of any of these types of products make a post send me an e-mail [email protected] hell im me mayday0017 I'll pay for it in answering any questions anyone else might have. I just know that Rockford changed their whole line which means we will be getting all new product in, in the next month so that means time to gut the car and do it all over again.

Thanks, Robert
Good points you raise....

I'd like to try a product or type of product I have read alot about in different articles... It called Featherfill... I imagine it as a really heavy or thick primer almost like a sprayable paste that goes on almost perfectly smooth very easily and has that smooth grayish look...

Here is a copy of something I was reading...

""
When you get very close to the final shape, there are a number of methods that can be used to get the final smooth shape. You can continue to work with bondo, but you will go crazy. If the area is large and very smooth, I prefer to use Featherfill or one of the equivalent products. Featherfill is a sprayable polyester resin with industrial talc. You add a clear MEKP hardener and then spray or brush it on. If it's the first coat, just brush it on, but spray once you get close to the final finish.

Once the Featherfill is hard, it will sand easily. Use a sanding block, or a piece of thin plywood with sandpaper over it. You should use an open coat sandpaper on Featherfill. Start with 80 grit and work up to 180 grit. As you sand, play a bright light over the surface and locate the low spots. If they are substantial, squeegee in a little bondo and work it down flush. Then spray on some more Featherfill and sand it smooth. The last fifty-thousandths will drive you nuts.

Once you think you have it finished, then I prefer to move to a black lacquer automotive sanding primer. Automotive paint stores sell the stuff in spray cans. It's neat because you can spray on a layer and sand in five minutes. I use 180 grit paper at this stage. High spots are easy to see because the sandpaper hits them and misses the low spots.

Fill in the low spots with surfacing putty. This is also a lacquer and dries quickly if you don't get it too thick. Surfacing putty is also sold at automotive paint stores. It comes in a large tube, is normally red, and you get a little black rubber squeegee to apply it. You go through a lot of sandpaper when you sand this stuff, since it clogs the paper badly. Spray on another coat of black lacquer sanding primer and sand it out. When you are pleased with the results and consider it finished, put on one last coat for final sanding with 220 and 400 grit paper."""

Also, check www.selectproducts.com (http://www.selectproducts.com) they have some cool, byt pricey stuff..

smullen
01-12-2004, 11:52 AM
BTW, any galleries of your work???

ramos
01-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Feather fill is a high build epoxy ( two part ) primer. It works well. But it is rather expensive. If you work with the milk shake method ( mix body filler and resin ) you can get very good results and it is much cheaper. It just takes some practice to find the mixture you can work with best. :)

TPABlazer
01-12-2004, 05:31 PM
i used some filler primer at select that worked well for fine scratcehs but sanding was still required for the big stuff

mayday0017
01-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Sorry no pics of my work well I have one pic of a box I built for a Toyota Mr2 to fit 2 10" solobaric subs behing each seat which is almost impossible well almost impossible to do and keep full movement of seat but it CAN be done. However that box takes 12 hours to build + time to sand to perfection, Never finished the sanding though wasn't to high on my priorities.