PDA

View Full Version : Best 6x9s

luap
01-11-2004, 10:28 AM
I've just started looking for aftermarket speakers (component fronts and rear) and have come to the conclusion that there are too many to choose from. I'm looking for some rears without a lot of highs (2-way?). Trying to keep total cost below $200.

6.5" component in front
6x9" rear speakers

Thanks,
PM

88k5blazer
01-11-2004, 10:30 PM
I would go with the alpine type r 6x9s. I recently bought a pair for 189 for my 88 blazer to replace the stock 4x10s in the rear and i must say they are awesome! When i turn the bass up all the way u would think they are 8inch subs. Thats what i recommend

Redford
01-12-2004, 03:49 PM
polk/momo 6x9s play down to 33 Hz which is pretty **** low for a speaker

blackgeltabs
01-12-2004, 06:38 PM
For the 6.5 comps check these out: http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=12999
Pheonix gold is good and its a good price.

6x9 not really a big deal get something decent and cheap, then put the rest of the money toward a decent amp for the comps. Let the 6x9 run off the deck. This is of course if you dont wanna spend a lot of money :)

Something like this for a 6x9:
http://www.cbrstereo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FFC69&Category_Code=RFCoaxials

Its cheap, its a 6x9, it works. And actually its a pretty good deal.

luap
01-12-2004, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm not planning on buying a sub but I do plan on buying a small 4 channel amp, Profile CA440 (65w rms per channel). I figured I need a pretty good set of rears. I didn't think I needed a great set of component speakers. Could you please explain?

Thanks!!!!
luap

BooLeaN
01-13-2004, 05:37 PM
I recenty bought a new set of Kenwood Excelon 6x9's and they sound great IMO. I compaired them to the Type R 6x9's, seeing as I have the Type R woofers. I found the Type R 6x9's to be more smooth but have less punch vs the Kenwoods. I chose the Kenwoods over the Alpine Type R's, for the sound I was looking for and on top of it all they were about 20 bucks cheaper for me.

That's my 2 cents.

Good Luck

helotaxi
01-13-2004, 06:24 PM
I figured I need a pretty good set of rears. I didn't think I needed a great set of component speakers. Could you please explain?

When you sit at home and listen to music, do you sit facing the speakers or with your back to them? Same in the car. You want most of the sound coming from in front of you. Get the best speakers you can afford to produce the sound you care about the most, that coming from in front of you. Rear speakers, ideally, are for "fill" purposes only. If you use them at all (many of us don't, myself included) they should not be noticeable. You should not really be able to tell that sound is coming from them until you turn them off and then you notice that a little something is missing.

luap
01-13-2004, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the explanation. My car's front speakers are located at the bottom of the doors but the tweeters are located at chest height along the outside edge of the dash. The car is fairly new so I don't plan on altering their location. Based on this, I was under the impression that the sound coming form the fronts is not as important as you've mentioned.

Thanks,
luap

luap
01-14-2004, 10:46 PM
Just need to correct my previous post. I guess I showed my ignorance by stating that I didn't think the fronts were as important as the rears. How wrong I was. I played with my factory system this afternoon and came to appreciate how important they actually are.

Thanks!!

firefly1246
01-16-2004, 02:57 PM
I love my polk audio EX 369 6x9in speakers that I got at crutchfield.com for $100, they were $50 off.