PDA

View Full Version : Sub box on seat?

skimo
01-11-2004, 01:45 AM
I screwed up and ordered a sub that is too deep to fit under my seat. I could send it back and find something shallower...but it's like $50 to ship to/from Alaska. So I want to make do.

The only place I can find to fit a box now is on the rear seat (2001 Extended Cab GMC). Is there any problem with building a box to sit on top of a seat? I'll design a path for the lap belt, and an extra hook on top to the rear car seat anchor so it won't go anywhere. But, will having it sit on top of a cushy springy seat destroy performance?

Thanks,
Skimo

svtlightning93
01-11-2004, 01:54 AM
build you a box that your seat will sit on top of. This will raise your seat a little bit and also give your passengers a little more leg room.

skimo
01-11-2004, 03:11 AM
build you a box that your seat will sit on top of. This will raise your seat a little bit and also give your passengers a little more leg room.

That would take some MAJOR work on the bench. I'd be a little worried about safety on a home built too (my little kids ride with me a lot).

Any ideas on how it will work on top of the seat?

helotaxi
01-11-2004, 07:57 PM
As long as the box is built well sitting it on the seat will not affect its performance. Make sure you anchor it well and it sounds like you are planning to.

Jayson Hisel
01-12-2004, 02:09 PM
if your worried about your kids then why do you want to put it on the seat where it could move around and really hurt them if something did happen your saferif you raise the seat

dewi1219
02-02-2004, 01:01 AM
I did this for a '98 R/C Nissan Frontier and it worked great. I used a JL 10W6 and built it into a center console. The sub fired down from the bottom of the box toward the seat cushion (the bottom of the box was raised about 1.5" off of the seat). Sound quality was great, and it got pretty loud for a single 10. I say go for it.
Scott

Car Trekker
02-02-2004, 05:04 PM
How much too big is the sub?
Could you pound the floor down a bit to accommodate the magnet? If it doesn't fit...don't force it....get a bigger hammer!