PDA

View Full Version : RE SX 12" help needed....

geonfreaq
05-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Im still trying to figure out if this sub will work in my truck and I believe I have found a way.

I removed the cargo storage area behind the seat and pulled the plastic/carpet/foam crap off the back under the window and opened up some more room to work with.

AROUND a 2' cubic foot box tuned to 33hz.

I used the RE box calc. and came up with this. Can some one please double check this and tell me if Im on the right track?

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/jasonsrussell/RESX12.png

Heres a pic of the area I have behind the seat.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs543.ash1/31758_394632376571_558716571_4661451_2071410_n.jpg

Jason

aeroportspwn
05-28-2010, 09:52 PM
I had a re sx 12" in my regular cab silverado. I got the box to fit fine and I am 6ft 4" tall. Put most of the box depth behind the passenger seat like 9.5-10" and if you need to, make the depth like 6-7" behind your driver seat. I got it to work fine with 2 4" aero ports sticking up on the top middle part. Most of the aero ports were internal in the box and some of it stuck out externally. If you do it that way you will have more leg room as you don't have to make the box as big using a regular slot port which requires more room and a bigger box.. Or if you want more cu ft in your box the aero port will allow you to get 2.4-2.5cuf if you wanted to..

geonfreaq
05-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Well this is behind the rear seats. Its a 4 door truck.

aeroportspwn
05-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Well this is behind the rear seats. Its a 4 door truck.

alright, I see now. Well it looks like you have enough room to do what you are wanting though. If you wanted to you can still use aero ports and have more room (cu ft) in your box.

Here is the specs for the re sx..

Nominal Impedance -Znom: Dual 2 ohm
Thermal Power Handling -Pe: 1000 W
Force Factor -Bl: 21
Electrical Q Value -Qes: .32
Mechanical Q Value -Qms: 4.4
Total Speaker Q Value -Qts: .30
Free Air Resonance -Fs: 30.6 Hz
Equivalent Compliance -Vas: 47.6 liters
One-Way, Linear Excursion -Xmax: 22 mm
Efficiency - SPL 1W/1m: 88.1 dB SPL
Effective Piston Area -Sd: 480 cm^2
DC Resistance -Re: 1.9 ohm
Mounting Depth - 6.5”
Mounting Hole Diameter - 11”
Overall Diameter - 12.5”
Bolt Hole Circle - 11.75”
Motor Width - 6.5”
Motor Depth - 3.25”
Basket Depth - 3.25”
Displacement - .16 cu. ft.
Weight - 24 lbs.
Dual Composite 2-piece Cone
Rubbertek Foam Surround
Cast Aluminum Basket
Tork-Tite Terminal
3 " 8-layer Aluminum Voice Coil
FEA Optimized Motor Structure
Triple Stack Maganets
Progressive Spiders
Wrap around Rubber Gasket

now subtract .16 cu ft for the displacement of your sub on the figure above on the reboxcalculator.

You have plenty of room man.

geonfreaq
05-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Yea see thats what Im wondering. When I first bought this sub I had it in a 2.5cf box ported to 35hz and it got plenty loud. Even with only 600w to it off my old amp. Now Im going to be using a PB ASA 1500.1D so it should see all 1500w. Just trying to get a good box in the space I have to work with. I just dont have much experience with this sub and also want to make sure that the RE box Calc. is accurate :)

aeroportspwn
05-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Recommended Enclosures :Ported Compact: 1.5cf tuned @ 35HzPorted Optimal: 2.0cf tuned @ 33Hz

Not sure I would give the re sx any more than 1300rms but if you make the box a little smaller like 2cu ft it will be just fine. Not sure what you will have in the real world with impedance rise though but you get the picture. You have a solid 2 cuft it should be just fine.

GL!

taylorpro
05-28-2010, 10:19 PM
hey man ur only gonnna have 6.5" of mounting depth with that setup. just check that

aeroportspwn
05-28-2010, 10:23 PM
hey man ur only gonnna have 6.5" of mounting depth with that setup. just check that

yeah good eye, that is why I recommended aero ports lol.

geonfreaq
Recommended Enclosures :Ported Compact: 1.5cf tuned @ 35HzPorted Optimal: 2.0cf tuned @ 33Hz

Not sure I would give the re sx any more than 1300rms but if you make the box a little smaller like 2cu ft it will be just fine. Not sure what you will have in the real world with impedance rise though but you get the picture. You have a solid 2 cuft it should be just fine.

GL!

Thanks man. If the weather holds out here tomorrow I should be getting started on the box and hopefully finishing monday.

I noticed that also so I will be mounting it all the way to the right of the box past the rear port wall.

geonfreaq
I may have to play with this more haha :(

geonfreaq
05-28-2010, 10:30 PM
yeah good eye, that is why I recommended aero ports lol.

Im not opposed to using areo ports but I never have before and since Im already having doubts about designing this box I dont know what the hell would happen trying to design a box with aero ports haha.

I dont know why I am busting my brain this bad this time. Im guessing because this is the first time Ive been constricted to a certain space. I had a station wagon before this and a Rodeo before that.

aeroportspwn
05-28-2010, 10:30 PM
I may have to play with this more haha :(

use 2 aero ports, or is it possible or do you have room to make just the sub area a external baffle of mdf 3/4" wood? If you make a sub external baffle with 3/4" mdf wood you could barely squeeze the sub in it..

aeroportspwn
05-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Im not opposed to using areo ports but I never have before and since Im already having doubts about designing this box I dont know what the hell would happen trying to design a box with aero ports haha.

I dont know why I am busting my brain this bad this time. Im guessing because this is the first time Ive been constricted to a certain space. I had a station wagon before this and a Rodeo before that.

LOL yeah I hear ya. WHen you are working in such a close and tight space it is easy to overlook some measurements.

geonfreaq
05-28-2010, 10:40 PM
use 2 aero ports, or is it possible or do you have room to make just the sub area a external baffle of mdf 3/4" wood? If you make a sub external baffle with 3/4" mdf wood you could barely squeeze the sub in it..

Im trying to understand where youre going with the last part of this post. I dont quite understand.

As for round ports, on the12volt round port calc. I put in a 2cf box tuned to 33hz using a 4" port and its telling me to use a port 12.6" long. Sound about right?

Im sitting here thinking too. If I make to box shorter down to say 14" instead of 17" I could make it deeper due to the way the seat leans back.

geonfreaq
05-28-2010, 10:47 PM
More better?

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/jasonsrussell/resx122.png

aeroportspwn
05-28-2010, 10:52 PM
More better?

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/jasonsrussell/resx122.png

yep you got plenty of depth now.

You will have around 1.9 cu ft though after u subtract the sub displacement.

geonfreaq
05-28-2010, 10:58 PM
Sweet. Ill double check to make sure I do have this much room tomorrow but Im pretty sure I do.

If by some chance I have to go with the first box I posted, would there be a problem with mounting the sub all the way to the right past the rear port wall or should the motor be infront of that wall inorder for a ported box to work properly?

Hope that made since the way I typed it haha

aeroportspwn
05-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Sweet. Ill double check to make sure I do have this much room tomorrow but Im pretty sure I do.

If by some chance I have to go with the first box I posted, would there be a problem with mounting the sub all the way to the right past the rear port wall or should the motor be infront of that wall inorder for a ported box to work properly?

Hope that made since the way I typed it haha

I understand what you are saying. On the FIRST box no it would not sound good at all if you put the sub in the opening where the port is. It needs to be to the left all the way it can go or either in the middle of the box.

geonfreaq
05-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Thats what I needed to hear.

Ill keep you updated. Thanks for all the help man. I owe you a beer or 6 ;)

aeroportspwn
05-28-2010, 11:10 PM
If you do decide on going aero ports the figures are:

with aero ports it's 6-10 square inches of port area per cubic foot of box. <------- that is for the real aero ports with the flared ends on both sides.

Generally the rule for anything but flared aero ports is 12-16 square inches of port area per cubic foot.

Lets say you are trying to figure out the square inches of port area for a single 4" AERO PORT.

It would be 2 x 2 x 3.14 ( Pi ) = 12.56 sq inches for example.

If you need a site calculator to go by for port noise go to this link and calculate.

PORT Size Calculations and Formulas for WOOFER and Subwoofer BOXES (http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31)

aero ports are pretty simple.

geonfreaq
05-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Alls well that ends well. First off sorry for the ****** Iphone pics.

Here is a pic of the room I had to work with. This is looking at the back of the rear seat on the driver side of the truck.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/jasonsrussell/5b1aeb58.jpg

Getting started on the box :D

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/jasonsrussell/877f611a.jpg

Decided to mount my amp under the passanger side of the truck since it was wider than the driver side. 70/30 split rear seats.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/jasonsrussell/364e9f94.jpg

And since the box was 35" wide it fit perfectly behing the passanger side rear seat :)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/jasonsrussell/3f9eff6a.jpg

I like the way this box turned out. This was just supposed to be a temporary box so I could see if I liked the sound or if it needed to go in a different box. That being said, I love it. Sounded better than I had hoped for :D

Once fishing season is over, I think I may rebuild the same box and then carpet and put the rear panel back in. With that rear panel in I dont have enough room because it is padded and filled with foam so my plan is to get another rear and trim it around the box.

I finally have some good sounds again so Im happy.

Now off to bed I go. Long drive ahead of me in only 5 hours :(

aeroportspwn
05-29-2010, 10:02 PM
nice man get a video of it and post on youtube lol. I like the black what kind of paint did you use?

geonfreaq
05-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Will do. Have to wait till after tomorrows fishing trip though haha Off shore trip out of the OBX. First one of the season for me.

The paint was just some flat black high heat engine enamel I had laying around. First I just did the port but then I got bored while I was taking a break and having a smoke haha.

Thanks for all your help man :)

the Answer
05-30-2010, 12:32 PM
dont use re calc. it is not accurate.

aeroportspwn
05-30-2010, 04:28 PM
dont use re calc. it is not accurate.

lol the RE calculator is fine. I will show proof.

Take his box volume in the re box calculator figure on page 2 then subtract the sub displacement yourself which is .16.

2.06 cu ft - .16 sub displacement = 1.9 cu ft.

Now try plugging in all the info on bcae1.com's ported box calculator or any other for that matter (I used bcae1.com).

From bcae1.com it is Net box volume = 1.851 cu ft

after I calculated everything the difference in tune is only .4 so that is not noticeable.. Instead of him having a box tune of 33.1 which the re calc stated he will really have 33.5 tune..

The RE calc is just fine, quit nitpicking and trying to make the OP worry.

geonfreaq
05-30-2010, 09:38 PM
No worries here ;)

It fits just fine and sounds great! Now the accident I had today, well thats a whole nother story :(

aeroportspwn
05-30-2010, 11:07 PM
lol wth happened?

geonfreaq
06-01-2010, 12:02 PM
lol wth happened?

This.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/jasonsrussell/2700039a.jpg

:(

aeroportspwn
06-01-2010, 02:48 PM
lol did the hand winch come un-done or what?

geonfreaq
06-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Yea the hook that is supposed to be hooked to the eyelet on the bow pulled out from the stitching on the strap :( Good thing is there was no fiberglass damage, only the lower end needs to be replaced. $500 for a used lower :)

aeroportspwn
06-01-2010, 04:35 PM
ah that ***** ***.

dirtyhead
06-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Hey Jason, I tried sending you a PM but it looks like your inbox is full.