PDA

View Full Version : First time ported, need help :D

brocken
05-26-2010, 10:46 PM
I just purchased a Level 3 10 with level 4 coils and extra spider.
This is going in a 2010 F150 supercrew and there's a premade box that has 1.25 cuft. If I understand the specs correctly, that's an optimum volume for this sub for ported?
I was hoping I can use polyfil to compensate for the driver's volume?
My goal is more SQ than all out output. Would I be better with the 1 cuft box volume ported?
Also, with either size box can I get a recommendation on port diameter and length?

I tried modeling the sub in Winisd but must have entered something wrong. I got a really high volume for the box, like 50 something liters.

Thanks!

Vossy
05-26-2010, 10:52 PM
I wouldn't go ported with that sub and 1.25 cuft. And polyfill with ported messes things up.

brocken
05-26-2010, 11:41 PM
So even though that's the recommended ported?
If you wouldn't do that then what do you suggest?

on1wheel01
05-27-2010, 12:38 AM
Honestly you always are suppose to match a sub with a box. You dont really have enough cubes to run that sub. And yea poly fill is mainly for sealed boxes. If it's ported it could just blow out the port. You could just run it sealed I guess. Why use a premade box either build one or get one built. In that I woulda done 2 nice 10's or 8's under the seat.

groundpound4200
05-27-2010, 12:41 AM
I think these have a QTS that's over .5 so they may work in a sealed box

*edit- yup its .53

brocken
05-27-2010, 01:28 AM
I thought that's what I was doing, matching sub to box... DC lists the ported volume at 1.25...
The premade box is the only one that gives me mounting depth without spending a ton of time or money custom fabricating.
So if 1.25 isn't a good ported size for the DC lvl 3 10 then what is? Is their site completely wrong?

brocken
05-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Should I go with sealed of 1.25 gross volume? That makes Qtc .73. Any problems with that size like reduced power handling?

brocken
06-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Anybody? bueller?
I don't know why I can't get any real help with this box design. Posted on the Steve Mead DC forum and got no response there either.

Can some nice person just give me some advice on a sealed or ported box size? If the premade size isn't ideal I can make my own.
I'm concerned that over 1 cube sealed will reduce the power handling. And I've read that ported can increase the lowend.
If I was to make a SQL ported enclosure what should the volume and port be? I'm asking because despite what the manufacturer suggests on their site, posters above say that's incorrect....

Thanks!

the Answer
06-01-2010, 09:32 PM
dc subs are SQL subs so u dont need to make a special box for them. dont use "premade boxs" they are usually tuned high. get a custom ported box and that thing will pound. as for your port length and width, that is up to you. u want 12-16 square inches of port. to find what ur port should be just multiple (12-16 ur choice but i would do 14) by ur total cubes and that is what u need. then too figure out how big to make the port just find 2 numbers that when multiplied equal ur square port area.

brocken
06-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the reply.
DC specs page recommends 1cuft or 1.25cuft(loud) for ported. Should I run with one of those since it's recommended by the manufacturer?

And the square inches of port meaning the size of the hole? So if 14 is good that would be just over 4" for a round opening or 2x7 for a rectangle.
Then I would need length.

Skittles619
06-02-2010, 12:34 AM
Subwoofer Enclosure Calculators, Fraction to Decimal, Parallel, Series, Port Length and Volume Calculators (http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp#rec)

The port length section of that link helps a ton when making your own box...i would go with what the manufacturer suggests for a box and i maybe wrong but those volumes are net (after displacement of port and sub etc.) not a gross volume

brocken
06-02-2010, 07:43 PM
I'm sure you're right and those are net volumes. That's why i was wondering if splitting the difference between the larger and smaller recommended sizes would be bad.
I might just build one to the net, smaller volume and use that calculator for the port. I'm thinking of around 28hz.
Thanks!

Skittles619
06-03-2010, 01:37 AM
building to anything within the recommended specs shouldnt hurt unless you're competing the box can be off by .05-.1 cuft and not really kill anything depending on power application of course... good luck with the build :D

brocken
06-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks! That's what I was hoping. I'm not planning on running anymore power than recommended and the magnet and spider are upgraded.