PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer double din, which one to buy?

jonnyc4t
05-26-2010, 06:46 PM
Ok this is my first post here so don't flame me too bad.

I am looking for a double din touch screen. DVD playback is not a big thing for me because when am I really going to watch a dvd in my car? I want something that integrates NAV as well as an iPhone/pod. My friend has the AVIC-F900BT and it's nice. I looked at the newer version on and amazon and it's around 600 dollars. The AVIC-F900BT is on amazon used for about 450 and then the even older version the 700 is used for about 300.

I am not too sure if it's a great idea spending that much money on a used unit please advise me if it is not. Do any of you have any experience with these units, or possibly give me some insight on which route would be the best for me?

Like I said looking for iPhone compatible/NAV and to spend ballpark of 500ish, the less the better of course, but I don't want to give up TOO much quality of the product.

Should I drop this unit altogether and look at something different? I know lots of units can use SD cards for music making it so you don't have to buy the iPhone adapter. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just for reference I posted the units below:

Amazon.com: Pioneer AVIC-F700BT In-Dash Navigation Audio Receiver with CD Playback and Advanced… (http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVIC-F700BT-Navigation-Receiver-Playback/dp/B001ANZCMW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274913663&sr=1-1)

Amazon.com: Pioneer AVIC-F900BT In-Dash Navigation Audio/Video Receiver with DVD… (http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVIC-F900BT-Navigation-Receiver-Playback/dp/B001ATVITC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274913926&sr=1-1)

Amazon.com: Pioneer AVIC-X910BT 5.8-Inch In-Dash Navigation A/V Receiver with DVD Playback and Bluetooth: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVIC-X910BT-5-8-Inch-Navigation-Bluetooth/dp/B002EGVR6O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274913961&sr=1-1)

raverx3m
05-26-2010, 06:48 PM
id advise you to buy kenwood instead lol

they have alot more usefull features compared to pioneer double dins
and much better EQ and sound settings.

thumb drives are as cheap as SD cards and you can play music videos thru the USB as well

jonnyc4t
05-26-2010, 06:54 PM
id advise you to buy kenwood instead lol

they have alot more usefull features compared to pioneer double dins
and much better EQ and sound settings.

thumb drives are as cheap as SD cards and you can play music videos thru the USB as well

Do you have any Kenwood suggestions for the price range and features I want? I noticed a lot of units you need to spend an extra 300-500 for the NAV unit. I am looking for something that has everything i need for 500ish.

raverx3m
05-26-2010, 11:01 PM
that would be tough.
honestly you get what you pay for.and at that point you would probably should look for a used model or last years model because you will not be happy with what a base model offers usually.

jonnyc4t
05-27-2010, 01:03 AM
that would be tough.
honestly you get what you pay for.and at that point you would probably should look for a used model or last years model because you will not be happy with what a base model offers usually.

Do you have any Kenwood units in mind? I can check them out new and used and maybe just make a leap. 500-800 range?

What don't you like about the Pioneer units I posted?

d-REW
05-27-2010, 01:04 AM
kenwood again pionner ***** look at the ddx514 ddx512 ddx712 ddx714 all pretty reasonable and work flawlessly.

can add the kenwood g510 and bt200 for navigation and bluetooth.

raverx3m
05-27-2010, 02:04 AM
i own one.
avic x910 and it ***** lol
i would not pay more than 500 for that unit. its shiny and flashy but its gay.

you never said what features you looking for

all last years models have USB so you can use thumb drive to play music
they all play dvd,

heres few

Sonic Electronix - Compare Products (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/compare_items.php?sort_order=%2Fviewcat.php%3Fcate gory_id%3D178%26sort_order%3Dprice_asc%26manufactu rer_id%3D22&product_id%5B%5D=17841&product_id%5B%5D=22257&product_id%5B%5D=22738)

jonnyc4t
05-27-2010, 02:09 AM
i own one.
avic x910 and it ***** lol
i would not pay more than 500 for that unit. its shiny and flashy but its gay.

you never said what features you looking for

all last years models have USB so you can use thumb drive to play music
they all play dvd,

heres few

Sonic Electronix - Compare Products (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/compare_items.php?sort_order=%2Fviewcat.php%3Fcate gory_id%3D178%26sort_order%3Dprice_asc%26manufactu rer_id%3D22&product_id%5B%5D=17841&product_id%5B%5D=22257&product_id%5B%5D=22738)

My first post says "Like I said looking for iPhone compatible/NAV".
I'll check those out.

Do you guys suggest staying away from something like this?
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_17410_Dual_XDVDN8290.aspx

I had a deck made by them in my last car and after about 2 years the motorized faceplate stopped working and rendered it useless. It does have the features I am looking for, however I have noticed that the motto around here (and it pretty much goes for anything) is you get what you pay for. It did get good reviews...

raverx3m
05-27-2010, 06:03 PM
yes just a name dual should invoke an image of smoke coming out of your dash... seen that many times.

plus crappy sound.

and btw you aint gonna get a nav unit brand new for that price.
check out the last year's DNX models from kenwood.theres plenty to choose from and with firmware updates they should support iphone

jonnyc4t
05-27-2010, 06:25 PM
yes just a name dual should invoke an image of smoke coming out of your dash... seen that many times.

plus crappy sound.

and btw you aint gonna get a nav unit brand new for that price.
check out the last year's DNX models from kenwood.theres plenty to choose from and with firmware updates they should support iphone

By the looks of it I am not going to get a nav unit used for that price either. The used Kenwoods go for about 450+ then the nav add on is another 250. Maybe I'll just have to take the plunge, I just feel like for 250 I could buy a stand-alone gps that is better. I guess what you're paying for is integration.

raverx3m
05-28-2010, 01:54 AM
bigger screen on your indash.
but depending on your car might not be in a good location.
if its too far below your line of sight its hard to keep your eyes on the road and look at the map.

because if you buy an off brand nav unit, chances are the maps would be very crappy and no support or updates.

kenwood uses garmin maps, pioneer uses other(forgot name)

kenwood DNX5140 can be found for around 500-600 bucks on ebay or local shops that might have clearance sale.

FenixAudio
05-28-2010, 02:48 AM
Do you have any Kenwood suggestions for the price range and features I want? I noticed a lot of units you need to spend an extra 300-500 for the NAV unit. I am looking for something that has everything i need for 500ish.

not gonna happen. save for a better unit. its worth it. i likethe clarions for the price. the nx500 and 700 are sweet. plus they have bluetooth built in.

jonnyc4t
05-28-2010, 02:55 AM
I'm registered on a Nissan forum and someone offered up a JVC KW-NX7000BT for "600ish" used. All reviews I have read say the nav and unit as a hole is awesome. Says that the iPod controls for it are slow though. Any input?

jonnyc4t
05-28-2010, 05:22 AM
bigger screen on your indash.
but depending on your car might not be in a good location.
if its too far below your line of sight its hard to keep your eyes on the road and look at the map.

because if you buy an off brand nav unit, chances are the maps would be very crappy and no support or updates.

kenwood uses garmin maps, pioneer uses other(forgot name)

kenwood DNX5140 can be found for around 500-600 bucks on ebay or local shops that might have clearance sale.

Completely missed the bottom of your post with the suggestion on the DNX5140. This unit looks nice with the navigation built in. The used price is something I can afford on amazon. I am trying to find a video that shows how the ipod/phone works on it but no luck so far.

JarvisB
05-28-2010, 09:15 AM
hey man i got Avic F900BT in my explorer and I have no problem with it besides the fact that it takes about 20 seconds to start up. It does not bother me too much though.

BTW I want to sell my unit, I want to move to bigger, newer one Z series.

I can give the unit to you for 450 shipped. ipod cable included. Parking Brake bypass done. LMK if you r interested

djeazie
05-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Ddx516

raverx3m
05-29-2010, 09:21 PM
ddx doesnt have NAVI