PDA

View Full Version : How do the Parts-Express speakers compare to other Car audio speakers?

way2sl0
05-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Right now im running an Energy 6.5 component set (Made by Klipsch, limited run and they got great reviews while being made). I am guessing pretty much nothing(from Parts express) will be much better, but how much worse are some of those setups? Im considering a 3 way or new 2 way active setup to try instead of my passive 2 way. Just wondering if anyone runs this stuff in their car and if it sounds good, or are the tried and tested brands like the Alpine Components, Hertz, JL etc. that much better. Thank you for responding guys,

Matt

KyleBechtold
05-24-2010, 11:10 PM
its all what you do with em.. madisounds has a better selection

way2sl0
05-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Care to elaborate a bit more? I am not versed in pro SQ quality installs, I am just a starting mind in terms of speaker knowledge so when you say what I do with them....if we are comparing these level of speakers, versus say the Alpine Type -R components in the same install, can comparable SQ be achievable, or am I smoking crack?

thehardknoxlife
05-25-2010, 12:18 AM
DIYMA (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/)is where you need to go. Much much more info on these type of drivers. The Dayton Reference line at Parts Express has been known to be excellent when compared to drivers 2x the cost. Particularly the RS100 and the RS180. The Reference 2 way (RS28, RS180) would **** on the Type R's. I also agree that Madisound has a better selection, and their prices are reasonable. You'll also need to keep in mind you'll need processing power.

KyleBechtold
05-25-2010, 12:20 AM
with the exception of a few people on here most have no idea about anything non mainstream for raw drivers etc.. james bang has some decent knowledge but its not worth the asking lol

way2sl0
05-25-2010, 12:23 AM
What do you mean processing power? You mean for active crossovers or what?

thehardknoxlife
05-25-2010, 12:31 AM
What do you mean processing power? You mean for active crossovers or what?Yep, X-over, EQ, Time Alignment.

Wingman0121
05-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Parts Express is a company who knows what they're doing when it comes to speakers. Their MKIII Titanic subwoofers are supposed to sound awesome for the price. They also sell a lot of raw drivers that are used in home speakers that costs over 5 grand a pair.

way2sl0
05-25-2010, 01:07 AM
Yep, X-over, EQ, Time Alignment.

I am running a KDC-HD942U right now. It does front/rear/sub (not individual sides) TA, and HP crossovers. The EQ is just a 3 band parametric (garbage). Could I get away with a 4 channel amp doing active you think? I guess it depends on the frequency range of the amplifier crossover...id have to use it as a lowpass and the deck as highpass since my deck doesnt do active...

I always thought adding a 360.2 would be easiest but I am starting to think even though I just bought my deck, one that does active is much better than an add on processor....right?

AudioDave
05-25-2010, 01:39 AM
Parts Express is authorized for all they carry. All I use is raw seperates, and in the past have bought many speakers under names that are the same drivers as Focal, Peerless, Morel, TB, etc. If you need help matching let me know. Madisound is also good but a bit higher in cost.

RAM_Designs
05-25-2010, 01:44 AM
I love mix-matching speakers and going the active route...much more rewarding, fun, and cost-effective since raw drivers will run you less $$$ than a mainstream component set of the same caliber.

thehardknoxlife
05-25-2010, 02:18 AM
I am running a KDC-HD942U right now. It does front/rear/sub (not individual sides) TA, and HP crossovers. The EQ is just a 3 band parametric (garbage). Could I get away with a 4 channel amp doing active you think? I guess it depends on the frequency range of the amplifier crossover...id have to use it as a lowpass and the deck as highpass since my deck doesnt do active...

I always thought adding a 360.2 would be easiest but I am starting to think even though I just bought my deck, one that does active is much better than an add on processor....right?Hmm, I myself would rather have a processing unit if it fit the budget. It gives you more precise control and usually more options. An active deck is fine, but something like a 360.2 is much more powerful.

gunz4me2
05-25-2010, 03:16 AM
I am running a pair of Mach5 Audio MLI-65, 6.5" drivers with a Tang Band W4-1757SB full range driver obtained from Parts Express as my "tweeter". Aside from having to tame some anomalies at 250 Hz, 1.6 kHz; and 8.5 kHz with my Alpine CDA-9887, that is about as good as it gets for drop-in factory replacements in a 2005-2009 Mustang.

I chose the Tang Band drivers because their "on-paper" off-axis performance seemed better than the other drivers that I was looking into. I also wanted to have the majority of my vocal range being reproduced by a single driver versus splitting them between a woofer and a tweeter.

Right now I have my subwoofer handling 80 Hz and below; my Mach5's playing 80 to 315 Hz; and my Tang Bands playing from 315 Hz on up all with a single seat, time aligned, setup.

T3mpest
05-25-2010, 04:37 AM
I can't imagine ever buying anything that comes from a car audio company outside of a hu's and amps, since you kinda need somethig that runs on 12v. For speakers almost everything is WAYY overpriced an underperforms vs home and pro audio gear of similar prices if you know where to look. Car audio subs are durable, since most car audio fans have no idea wtf they are doing, beyond that, meh.... When I imagine someone spending 2k on set of focal components checking in at 86db's/1w/1m so they can run it off a passive crossover with no eq network I really want to vomit in my mouth. (not srs, you get the idea tho) Especially since people like to call that "sq" lol. Maybe if you got 6months and 500 hours to play with speaker positioning and your install, and don't like listening at realistic volumes levels above road noise without stressing your speakers..... God i sound bitter sometimes lol.

Anyway to answer your question. Most of the 200-400 component speaker sets are made up of 30 dollar mids and 15 tweets off parts express with a pretty casing around a 30 dollars worth of crossover (sometimes less if they dont' need to bandpass the mid). Oh, then they put it in a pretty package and box, then mark it up 2-300%. Most times it a 4 ohm coil too, since car audio 4ohm is the standard vs 8 at home or 8-16 in pro audio. That's not as big of deal as it sounds though. 3db's really isn't the end of the world and you can always get a bigger amp. Heck, my 8ohm mids get as loud on 16 watts as a normal car audio mid would get off of 300, assuming they could take that and not smoke. Effeciency counts, a heck of a lot more than power handling, which is a nearly useless spec on components.

way2sl0
05-25-2010, 09:30 AM
This is exactly what I wanted to know. I am glad you all responded and cleared my mind for me. Thanks to those who posted very much. I am starting to learn more and wanting to do more "diy" kind of stuff and mix and match.

I have to admit I am very intrigued by what you said Gunz, the fact you are running a full range and not a tweeter! Is the response equal to a good tweeter set? Or is it a little less at higher freq? To be honest I dont want to rip the doors apart and run 3-way active I just want to stick to two way. This sounds like a great idea though.

gunz4me2
05-25-2010, 02:23 PM
This is exactly what I wanted to know. I am glad you all responded and cleared my mind for me. Thanks to those who posted very much. I am starting to learn more and wanting to do more "diy" kind of stuff and mix and match.

I have to admit I am very intrigued by what you said Gunz, the fact you are running a full range and not a tweeter! Is the response equal to a good tweeter set? Or is it a little less at higher freq? To be honest I dont want to rip the doors apart and run 3-way active I just want to stick to two way. This sounds like a great idea though.

The response is just as good as a tweeter and I really like it because all my vocals are covered by ONE driver versus being split between a 6.5" driver and a tweeter. In fact, after going with the full range driver, I wondered why in the hell I ever obsessed over tweeters to begin with.

If you have the ability to mount on-axis via dash pods or some other creative method, I highly recommend you look into the Tang Band W3-1364SA 3" Bamboo Cone Driver (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-844&FTR) or the Fountek FR88EX (http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=132&products_id=8585).

way2sl0
05-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Those two look like some solid drivers. I see there is some anomalies in the curve, a little more so 5K+ than a tweet, but it is still fairly flat. Can always be EQ'd out. Only problem is right now I have my tweets on axis (in the sail panels) but I don't see how I could mount a 3" driver on axis...that may be difficult...

James Bang
05-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Just remember, they'll still need airspace for the bottom end extension.

way2sl0
05-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Yeah I would be running them for all intents and purposes free air...
Check the flat response of this driver out Silver Flute W17RC38-04 ohm 6-1/2" Wool Cone from Madisound (http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_228_256&products_id=846)
Id want to cut that around 3 khz....what do average tweets like to start at? around 2.5-3.5 right?

The tweeter idea is still ideal for me since I can then remain on-axis without needing to make some wicked complicated custom enclosure for a full range driver that is angled exactly to me on both doors.

T3mpest
05-26-2010, 03:12 AM
in a moving car it's pretty hard to hear much above 12k anyway. Go download some test tones and play with it if you dont' beleive me. This is especially true if you have any hearing damage at all, most people do, you just don't notice. Also, 12k is will pick up the fundamentals of most instruments., so yeah, a fullrange driver playing that high is a pretty good idea that I've seen used in cars successfully more than once. I cross my horns over at 16k 24db/octave to avoid cone breakup since the frequencies really aren't audible anyway.

AudioDave
05-26-2010, 03:24 AM
in a moving car it's pretty hard to hear much above 12k anyway. Go download some test tones and play with it if you dont' beleive me. This is especially true if you have any hearing damage at all, most people do, you just don't notice. Also, 12k is will pick up the fundamentals of most instruments., so yeah, a fullrange driver playing that high is a pretty good idea that I've seen used in cars successfully more than once. I cross my horns over at 16k 24db/octave to avoid cone breakup since the frequencies really aren't audible anyway.

Thats actually true even in home.

12K however is too high. 6K in a fr driver is even high. 8-9 on a tweet is up there but you wont hear above 14.6k unless your a dog. And if your crossing your tweets at 16K, your missing a huge amount of sound you can hear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_range#Humans

T3mpest
05-26-2010, 03:29 AM
lol my horns are bandpassed 1.2k at 24 one one end, 16k at 24 on the other.

James Bang
05-26-2010, 03:38 AM
Thats actually true even in home.

12K however is too high. 6K in a fr driver is even high. 8-9 on a tweet is up there but you wont hear above 14.6k unless your a dog. And if your crossing your tweets at 16K, your missing a huge amount of sound you can hear.

Hearing range - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_range#Humans)

did you pull that 14.6khz figure from your ***?

AudioDave
05-26-2010, 03:42 AM
No your moms. read the link noob.

"Specifically in humans, we have a maximum aural range of 12 Hz under ideal laboratory conditions[1] to 20,000 Hz in some individuals, but the range shrinks during our lifetime, usually beginning at around the age of 8 with the higher frequencies fading.

The more you post the stupider you look so do yourself a favor and shut up cuz noone gives a **** what you think either.

James Bang
05-26-2010, 03:43 AM
It's the jr high guy again!

AudioDave
05-26-2010, 03:46 AM
only when you come on here trying to act like high school

James Bang
05-26-2010, 03:49 AM
No your moms. read the link noob.

"Specifically in humans, we have a maximum aural range of 12 Hz under ideal laboratory conditions[1] to 20,000 Hz in some individuals, but the range shrinks during our lifetime, usually beginning at around the age of 8 with the higher frequencies fading.

The more you post the stupider you look so do yourself a favor and shut up cuz noone gives a **** what you think either.

Thanks for posting something that goes against your own point...

AudioDave
05-26-2010, 03:52 AM
wtf u talkin about now noob? It concurs with my point can you even read or you still in 3rd grade? "but the range shrinks during our lifetime, usually beginning at around the age of 8 with the higher frequencies fading."

T3mpest
05-26-2010, 03:57 AM
not that much fading occurs. I can hear 12k pretty easily. Yeah, I can boost it and cut it a bit and it's not a huge difference, but the frequency is audible. 16k, not so much. My GF hears 16k about as easily as I hear 12-14, judging by how she reacts to tones when I turn it up, I let her tune my car on the top end for a competition once lol.

James Bang
05-26-2010, 03:59 AM
Don't be mad noob. You might get a heart attack. Such general wording.

usually around the age of 8.7 certain individuals stop maturing and resort to name calling so they can feel that they're correct.

James Bang
05-26-2010, 04:00 AM
L/R EQ'd my 16khz center stage yo.

AudioDave
05-26-2010, 04:22 AM
ok good luck

AudioDave
05-26-2010, 04:23 AM
not that much fading occurs. I can hear 12k pretty easily. Yeah, I can boost it and cut it a bit and it's not a huge difference, but the frequency is audible. 16k, not so much. My GF hears 16k about as easily as I hear 12-14, judging by how she reacts to tones when I turn it up, I let her tune my car on the top end for a competition once lol.

lol I think wifes are born with a hearing tone of 24K because they seem to hear everything lol

way2sl0
05-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Despite the derailment, what do most of you high pass your tweets at? Midranges are so large though...do you just run them in a custom pod on the dash? I see the differences on vs off axis in audible response and it is quite a difference on some of the speakers. TBH switching to on axis last week was the best thing I have done yet....I hear so much I didnt before.

I just tried this test online on laptop speakers; http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can-you-hear-this-hearing-test/

I hear the 17khz, but the 18 I can't on the laptop.

James Bang
05-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Despite the derailment, what do most of you high pass your tweets at? Midranges are so large though...do you just run them in a custom pod on the dash? I see the differences on vs off axis in audible response and it is quite a difference on some of the speakers. TBH switching to on axis last week was the best thing I have done yet....I hear so much I didnt before.

I just tried this test online on laptop speakers; Can you hear THIS? Musicians high frequency hearing test | NoiseAddicts music and audio blog (http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can-you-hear-this-hearing-test/)

I hear the 17khz, but the 18 I can't on the laptop.

depends on the tweets. 2x the FS is a good start.

way2sl0
05-26-2010, 07:39 PM
How do you guys go about mounting your midrange drivers on axis then, if they are as large as they are....my car has dash space, but I also don't need to attract theives to come steal **** from my car but mounting PVC pipe with a speaker in it on my dash...