PDA

View Full Version : Box Building Screws or Brad Nails?

Spl170s
05-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Sure covered before....but just want clear answers.

I have built my own boxes and boxes for others over the years.... always use to use 1 5/8 coarse thread drywall screws with wood glue. Then started using liquid nails and the same kind of screws. always had to worry about splitting out wood even when predrilled and countersunk.

Now, doing some reading getting back into box building, i see alot of people are just using brad nailers with wood glue. that would be a hell of a lot easier and less time consuming then all the drilling and such.

i always assumed the screws kept everything together that much better...but that doesn't seem to be the case from what i read now....

thoughts?

if going brad nailer....what size nails for 3/4 mdf recommended?

TMali
05-18-2010, 05:30 PM
i wouldnt use nails :fyi:

Slo_Ride
05-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Screws and nails are used to hold the mdf in place until the glue dries. I build some of my boxes with no mechanical fasteners at all. If you predrill the holes it shouldn't split. I've used screws, I've used nails, and as mention nothing but glue. They all work just fine.

on1wheel01
05-18-2010, 05:59 PM
+1. Most of my boxes I use screws if it's gonna be carpeted. Some times I'll use staples as i think they hold better than brad nails(I have a pack of 5,000) unopened just cuz i dont wanna use them. And on some boxes that wont take tons of abuse I'll use just glue and clamps. If yours getting split wood your drilling to close to the edge of the wood.

Spl170s
05-18-2010, 10:39 PM
i honestly always thought the screws were the intergal part of the box strength. now, that i know that isn't the case, i can use the brad nails and make things simpleir and less time consuming

AudioDave
05-18-2010, 10:48 PM
i honestly always thought the screws were the intergal part of the box strength. now, that i know that isn't the case, i can use the brad nails and make things simpleir and less time consuming

completly disagree. This is the same with anything in crafting. Take your time and do it right or dont and be sorry.

Screws are best. How can you even compare to nails? Do the pilot hole, countersink and use screws w/ coarse threads unless I guess ya dont care about your enclosures strength, life length or overall sound when the waves reflect and crack the glue. (This does not apply to Pyramid amp or other asian off brand users):crazy:

This is like asking if black tape or soldering is better I mean christ guys....

Spl170s
05-18-2010, 11:41 PM
i can tell you when a box i had in old truck was taken out and basically torn apart to burn... i removed all the screws and had used liquid nails on that one.....those boxes wouldn't break apart after screws removed. literally took sledge to the boxes to break down and faces would break eventually but not the corners.....

so this tells me the adhesive or glue is the most important part of it......

now, maybe as said if you running 3000 watt rms sub amp to a pair of spl subs..... but, for a daily driver setup with 600rms and simple 12" daily driver subs....really that big of a difference?

on1wheel01
05-18-2010, 11:42 PM
Well it is the glue that is the factor. Tite bond 2 is the shiznit. I will never stray from it. For best results I do glue clamp the bond then add screws while clamps are still on there. Then 30 mins later remove half of the clamps. And then go to the next bond. Sure it takes a hour or 2 to build the box. But I know it's strong. I have around 20 clamps. Everytime I go to harbour freight I buy more. For 45 a clamp you just cant beat it.

jdawg
05-19-2010, 12:03 AM
I use a brad nailer, no problems, use titebond, clamp your 2 peices, nail it, wait a few minutes then go to the next, I have use my boxes to hold up the front of a car before like jackstands

theMessenjah44
05-19-2010, 12:10 AM
completly disagree. This is the same with anything in crafting. Take your time and do it right or dont and be sorry.

Screws are best. How can you even compare to nails? Do the pilot hole, countersink and use screws w/ coarse threads unless I guess ya dont care about your enclosures strength, life length or overall sound when the waves reflect and crack the glue. (This does not apply to Pyramid amp or other asian off brand users):crazy:

This is like asking if black tape or soldering is better I mean christ guys....

As long as you know how to glue, mechanical fasteners are only there to hold the boards together til the glue dries. I switched from screws to brad nails about 6 months ago. I can now build boxes faster with an identical end product.

thehardknoxlife
05-19-2010, 12:13 AM
As long as you know how to glue, mechanical fasteners are only there to hold the boards together til the glue dries. I switched from screws to brad nails about 6 months ago. I can now build boxes faster with an identical end product.

This^

Three clamps, some woodglue, a 2" brad nailer, and 30 minutes. You don't even need the nails if you have enough skill/clamps.

hispls
05-19-2010, 12:36 AM
Nail gun is super fast and I'd agree that the only purpose of either would be to hold things tight until the glue sets. The good part about screws is that after the glue dries you can pull them out and sand/router the corners smooth.

Titebond is great, use gorilla glue or liquid nails if your cuts are a bit shaky.

thehardknoxlife
05-19-2010, 12:45 AM
Nail gun is super fast and I'd agree that the only purpose of either would be to hold things tight until the glue sets. The good part about screws is that after the glue dries you can pull them out and sand/router the corners smooth.

Titebond is great, use gorilla glue or liquid nails if your cuts are a bit shaky. I wouldn't use liquid nails. That's not it's purpose. It's an adhesive, not a glue. Use plain ole' woodglue, made by any manufacturer. It's all pretty much the same.

Canaan
05-19-2010, 01:18 AM
I use 1.5" and 2" 18ga nails on most boxes, but for higher power applications and larger boxes I use screws.

Stuff like 2-12's 800-1200w and other smallish stuff...nails
Stuff like Cory's 6-DD1512's on 2 DDm3 or our DDemo van...screws. (and fiberglass and 1" threaded rod and welding and...well you get the point)

theMessenjah44
05-19-2010, 01:39 AM
This^

Three clamps, some woodglue, a 2" brad nailer, and 30 minutes. You don't even need the nails if you have enough skill/clamps.

It's the "enough clamps" part that I have a problem with, lol. I did a few using only glue, but you've got to make half, let it dry, then make the other half. With nails you can just clamp, nail, then move on

Titebond is great, use gorilla glue or liquid nails if your cuts are a bit shaky.

agreed on being able to remove screws so you don't jank up your router, but for the average box build, that's not really an issue

PL polyurethane adhesive in the caulk tubes is the best seam sealer you can get.

wenn_du_weinst
05-19-2010, 01:45 AM
if screws arn't important what happens when your mdf splits on the other side of the .01" thick glue joint where all the strength is?

misfit138
05-19-2010, 01:48 AM
I prefer using a nailgun, but I sometimes use screws. Last box I built, I used really long nails and regretted it. A few of them popped through and it took a while to pretty it up. I hate sanding body filler.

AudioDave
05-19-2010, 03:43 AM
I wouldn't use liquid nails. That's not it's purpose. It's an adhesive, not a glue. Use plain ole' woodglue, made by any manufacturer. It's all pretty much the same.

Liquid Nails has been used for years and works perfectly. Brands are just like anything else... preferance

AudioDave
05-19-2010, 03:45 AM

K I will never use nails only in my shop, havent for 20+ years and never will. And if I ever even see plain wood glue everyones fkkn fired.

AudioDave
05-19-2010, 03:45 AM
if screws arn't important what happens when your mdf splits on the other side of the .01" thick glue joint where all the strength is?

Amen

fasfocus00
05-19-2010, 04:17 AM
i wouldnt use nails :fyi:

you need not speak anymore as you don't know anything about building boxes or building materials as a brad nail is not a hammering style nail but a heavy gauge pin

Screws and nails are used to hold the mdf in place until the glue dries. I build some of my boxes with no mechanical fasteners at all. If you predrill the holes it shouldn't split. I've used screws, I've used nails, and as mention nothing but glue. They all work just fine.

This is the absolute truth. most box builders that are either new or can't cut a true line use screws as screws can **** in wood to make tighter while glue dries. there are the few who use screws just b/c they are comfortable with using them. I personally use brad nails for speed.

AudioDave
05-19-2010, 04:28 AM
If the cuts arent right then dont secure them lol. Its as easy as PILOT, SINK, SCREW and done with the seams already caulked or glued wet and ready. Once it dries sand the edges and its done and done right.

chardy85
05-19-2010, 11:45 AM
K I will never use nails only in my shop, havent for 20+ years and never will. And if I ever even see plain wood glue everyones fkkn fired.

So you think wood glue is BAD to use for enclosure construction? So do you not build your boxes out of wood? I am confused.....

Wood glue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_glue)
"Wood glue is an adhesive used to tightly bond pieces of wood together."

I am not dissing using Liquid Nails.....but how can you diss wood glue?

britdevine
05-19-2010, 11:58 AM
I just use 1 1/2 staples 18 gauge and and air compressor staple gun w/ wood glue. My 153 DB box w 2 10's holds together just fine in my CRX

BassMechkanic
05-19-2010, 12:14 PM
i have built many boxes over the last 20 years, i have done it both ways, if you are screwing you must predrill and counter sink to prevent wood split and get full clamping from screw, lately i only nail, 1 3/4 nail (i believe you should go in at least the thickness of your wood, and most nail guns counter sink)
ABOVE all else the glue is the biggest factor....... USE TITEBOND 2..... i apply to open end grain, then brush even (1 inch brush with 1/2 brissles cut off), align and nail. do not use liquid nails..... one it stinks, and you car will smell like it for days, 2 takes to long to dry, and i have heard the gasses it releases is harmfull to speaker surounds. When the glue is all dry, then use a good caulk, most of the boxes i build any more have 45 in all inside corners of the box, i then use a 1' nail again glue, brush, nail. this really makes the boxes rigided, now all corners are joined with at least 1 3/4 of material.

Johnny Law.Lulz
05-19-2010, 12:21 PM
My last box i used screws. never had a a problem, you are using the wrong pre-drill bit if you are still getting cracks and ****.

This can go back and forth. Its all about personal preference.

ahole-ic
05-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Audiodave you would be well-served to have your builders build a box with screws and another with brad nails. Use the same wood and same glue. You will see that neither fail under the pressures that a subwoofer can produce. If you have all of your joints together, what would cause a board flex and crack/break the glue joint? NOTHING. If your glue cracks or breaks from stress, that screw is just going to come out of the wood as would a nail. They are only useful until the glue dries. We are not trying to contain a bomb blast. We are creating pressures that this material can handle with ease. Glue is more than adequate for a standard box build.
Once you see how much faster, and how STRONG boxes with brad nails are, you will increase your profitability in your shop. You are wasting man hours on nothing. I'm doing 150's with a brad-nailed box. It's holding (2) DD9515g's on 3500 clamped watts. If your box has leaks or a lot of flex, you cannot achieve this spl. Get off your high horse. You can maintain your ego. You don't have to admit it in here, but to help your business you need to compare and find out how wrong you really are.

psych0ticnemes1
05-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Wood glue > liquid nails when working with wood. I mean, it is common sense, isn't it?

roarzorz
05-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Use whatever you like. A good box builder will make a quality enclosure with either. Brad nails are undeniably much faster to work with.

Johnny Law.Lulz
05-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Wood glue > liquid nails when working with wood. I mean, it is common sense, isn't it?

I feel this way :fyi:

Use whatever you like. A good box builder will make a quality enclosure with either. Brad nails are undeniably much faster to work with.

This.

soundstreamer
05-19-2010, 02:07 PM
I've made many boxes with staples, many with screws, and many with just glue. They all turned out great.
I have done tests with different glues testing them, and titebond is all I use now.

ramos
05-19-2010, 03:19 PM
I prefer not to use fasteners. I just go down to home depot and hire a 4 of the cholo's. 2 to stand there and hold the enclosure together, and two to blow on the glue and make it dry faster. Works everytime :)

JimJ
05-19-2010, 03:31 PM
I prefer not to use fasteners. I just go down to home depot and hire a 4 of the cholo's. 2 to stand there and hold the enclosure together, and two to blow on the glue and make it dry faster. Works everytime :)

As long as you have a steady supply of burritos.

ramos
05-19-2010, 03:33 PM
WTF do you think I pay them with. :confused:

Spl170s
05-19-2010, 05:29 PM
seems like a heated debate. i think im going to try the brad nails and proper wood glue this time around. worst case, it fails.....

AudioDave
05-19-2010, 06:21 PM
Audiodave you would be well-served to have your builders build a box with screws and another with brad nails. Use the same wood and same glue. You will see that neither fail under the pressures that a subwoofer can produce. If you have all of your joints together, what would cause a board flex and crack/break the glue joint? NOTHING. If your glue cracks or breaks from stress, that screw is just going to come out of the wood as would a nail. They are only useful until the glue dries. We are not trying to contain a bomb blast. We are creating pressures that this material can handle with ease. Glue is more than adequate for a standard box build.
Once you see how much faster, and how STRONG boxes with brad nails are, you will increase your profitability in your shop. You are wasting man hours on nothing. I'm doing 150's with a brad-nailed box. It's holding (2) DD9515g's on 3500 clamped watts. If your box has leaks or a lot of flex, you cannot achieve this spl. Get off your high horse. You can maintain your ego. You don't have to admit it in here, but to help your business you need to compare and find out how wrong you really are.

Appreciate it. We dont do speed builds anyways. Wont ever use nails of any kind.

AudioDave
05-19-2010, 06:25 PM
So you think wood glue is BAD to use for enclosure construction? So do you not build your boxes out of wood? I am confused.....

Wood glue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_glue)
"Wood glue is an adhesive used to tightly bond pieces of wood together."

I am not dissing using Liquid Nails.....but how can you diss wood glue?

Because heat breaks it down and its tensile strength is crap even with no heat. I had 4 shops in AZ maybe it was just there it ******. Never again.

Do yourself a test favor... sometime take scraps of wood and with no nails no screws nothing but glue try the different types and just use hands to break the seam and you decide which is better. Then add moisture heat and strength and you will have my answer. When the ones with wood glue break the seal cleanly with little or no force, and the ones w/ tightbond or liquid nails breaks off chunks of wood too when it snaps you know the difference.

AudioDave
05-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Get off your high horse. You can maintain your ego. You don't have to admit it in here, but to help your business you need to compare and find out how wrong you really are.[/QUOTE]

Its not about ego or being wrong. My rep is based on my experience for 20 years. We dont and will never not use screws period. Not a high horse, just know the difference.

Search this forumn, go to the JL website, call some folks around Arizona's shops and look in magazines from past and see how much I know and have helped thousands.

Eitherway I dont care how you do your boxes. This is my shops deal.

Slo_Ride
05-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Do yourself a test favor... sometime take scaps of wood and with no nails no screws nothing but glue try the different types and just use hands to break the seam and you decide which is better

I build cabinet doors for a living. I've done this many times. If you glue two peices of mdf together, the mdf will fail before the glue.

bhsdriller
05-19-2010, 06:45 PM
I've built many high powered setups with just glue and clamps

If I need to use screws I have a box of the Spaxx....no predrilling required

AudioDave
05-19-2010, 06:49 PM

I guess so. Like I said its like using black tape or solder. Do as you will.

Wildbillpb
05-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Spaxx is no predrill?

chardy85
05-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Because heat breaks it down and its tensile strength is crap even with no heat. I had 4 shops in AZ maybe it was just there it ******. Never again.

Do yourself a test favor... sometime take scraps of wood and with no nails no screws nothing but glue try the different types and just use hands to break the seam and you decide which is better. Then add moisture heat and strength and you will have my answer. When the ones with wood glue break the seal cleanly with little or no force, and the ones w/ tightbond or liquid nails breaks off chunks of wood too when it snaps you know the difference.

Isn't tightbond just a type of woodglue?

AudioDave
05-19-2010, 06:54 PM
:crazy:I had the comma's wrong sorry- yes it is. I meant compare the wood glues to construction adheasives. Obviously theres a reason our homes I hope to hell arent made with fkkn wood glue. Think about it:wow:

chardy85
05-19-2010, 06:59 PM
:crazy:I had the comma's wrong sorry- yes it is. I meant compare the wood glues to construction adheasives. Obviously theres a reason our homes I hope to hell arent made with fkkn wood glue. Think about it:wow:

lol. I hear ya.

I'm just here to gain more knowledge.

After all, knowledge is power, right?

lol

I have been checking out your build. You wouldn't happen to need another A600.2 for your collection.....would you?

AudioDave
05-19-2010, 07:01 PM
lol. I hear ya.

I'm just here to gain more knowledge.

lol

I have been checking out your build. You wouldn't happen to need another A600.2 for your collection.....would you?

Yes it is. Im here just tryin to help too. And yes I may get 2 more what u looking to get? Pics? PM me

Slo_Ride
05-19-2010, 07:42 PM

Absolutely

thehardknoxlife
05-19-2010, 07:54 PM
if screws arn't important what happens when your mdf splits on the other side of the .01" thick glue joint where all the strength is? Why would the wood split if it's glued?...but if you think a screw or a nail is going to hold split MDF then your not thinking clearly. That .01" of glue is more like a weld on MDF using wood glue. It's stronger than the MDF itself. Do a test yourself. Glue a joint together with nothing but glue, and then one with nothing but screws, now see which one is easier to get apart by prying.

Liquid Nails has been used for years and works perfectly. Brands are just like anything else... preferance
No it hasn't. Liquid Nails is an adhesive. No box builder I've ever seen uses it. Unless it was to seal a crack.

I never mentioned a brand, but if Liquid Nails has a wood glue product, use that by all means.
Liquid nails is used for gluing OSB, or plywood flooring. Mainly to prevent squeaks. The only other things people use it for is small pieces of trim and things of that caliber.

Canaan
05-19-2010, 08:12 PM
AudioDave,

What type of liquid nails do you use?
Just wondering.

Slo_Ride
05-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Not here to argue or prove anyone right or wrong. All I can do is post what works for me. I use standard wood glue, and the glue joints are the strongest part of my boxes. Wood glue + MDF = very strong bond.

RAM_Designs
05-19-2010, 09:20 PM

Construction adhesives are wood glues since they bond together...wood, right? I use construction grade subfloor adhesives(mainly at first because I'd get it for free at work)...the **** is insanely strong once it cures. I have to use a utility knife to get it off my fingers and I have some chunks of it that have stayed on a shirt for over 3 years and dozens of washer/dryer cycles, not to mention me picking at it trying to get it off.

I mainly use Dap or GE, both bond together even wet or frozen wood...crazy stuff. I've used Liquid Nails...never again.

RAM_Designs
05-19-2010, 09:22 PM
I've used screws and brad nails, both work fine, but I prefer screws since I don't have to clamp anything and don't feel like buying big clamps to cover a 60" box. Predrill with 1-5/8" coarse thread drywall screws and I have never had one split MDF.

AudioDave
05-19-2010, 11:47 PM
I've used screws and brad nails, both work fine, but I prefer screws since I don't have to clamp anything and don't feel like buying big clamps to cover a 60" box. Predrill with 1-5/8" coarse thread drywall screws and I have never had one split MDF.

Amen.

And those who think Liquid Nails hasnt been used are those who are 17 years old or so who didnt want to spend anything extra other then stealing daddys Elmers wood glue. Just because you havent heard of it dont mean it dont exist.

You can use black tape and wood glue on your **** all day long if you want. I will use what I have been forever without issues or complaints. This thread wasnt about what fkkn glue or whatever it was about screws vs nails. Take the advice or leave it.

Now im done on this thread.

Johnny Law.Lulz
05-19-2010, 11:55 PM
I used a pound of screws in my last box :fyi:

richie92ex
05-20-2010, 12:36 AM
I don't know guys. Im no pro when it comes to box building- Im almost done with my first box. I only used elmers, yea, I said elmers wood glue and clamps. No screws, no nails. Its only 2.2@33 with an areoport for a single 12" thats only getting 500 watts rms. I'll post pics Friday. I think it will be ok, if not, I'll find out....lol

wenn_du_weinst
05-20-2010, 12:46 AM
Why would the wood split if it's glued?...but if you think a screw or a nail is going to hold split MDF then your not thinking clearly. That .01" of glue is more like a weld on MDF using wood glue. It's stronger than the MDF itself. Do a test yourself. Glue a joint together with nothing but glue, and then one with nothing but screws, now see which one is easier to get apart by prying.

I've made the mdf split from internal pressure before, hell I won't even touch mdf garbage anymore. and yes screws do help keep it together, the screw acts like a brace not allowing the 2 pieces to flex against each other. you think the spl cars have 40-50 screws a panel just for fun?

ramos
05-20-2010, 08:52 AM

Dude I was with you until this post. My senior project in college ( right before I graduated with my bachelors in sturctural engineering) was exactly the test you proposed. Then 30 or so years of building cabinets of all kinds backed the test. My results differed from yours drastically. :)

AudioDave
05-21-2010, 02:54 AM
Dude I was with you until this post. My senior project in college ( right before I graduated with my bachelors in sturctural engineering) was exactly the test you proposed. Then 30 or so years of building cabinets of all kinds backed the test. My results differed from yours drastically. :)

K I will post one more cuz I couldnt resist this one lol....dude your years wasnt doing car audio. Building cabinets inside or whatever isnt even close to the same. As for your "results", I dont know what you mean by different. Wood glue will break down in the elements esp heat. Unless you use expensive industrial grade wood glue which they arent buying here, its not even comparable. Like I said before, You all can use what you want.

ramos
05-21-2010, 08:27 AM
K I will post one more cuz I couldnt resist this one lol....dude your years wasnt doing car audio. Building cabinets inside or whatever isnt even close to the same. As for your "results", I dont know what you mean by different. Wood glue will break down in the elements esp heat. Unless you use expensive industrial grade wood glue which they arent buying here, its not even comparable. Like I said before, You all can use what you want.

Oh yeah? I will continue to use what I want, just as you will. I bow to the greater power that you seem to think you are as I'm too busy to argue. I got an *** ton of fellow SQ competitors I have to go tell to remove there 15" and 18" subs cause they can't keep up :)

AudioDave
05-22-2010, 03:51 AM
Oh yeah? I will continue to use what I want, just as you will. I bow to the greater power that you seem to think you are as I'm too busy to argue. I got an *** ton of fellow SQ competitors I have to go tell to remove there 15" and 18" subs cause they can't keep up :)

noob....id bet you couldnt spell SQ nevertheless know wtf I am talking about. Heres how your too busy: Just get your CA&E mag, a tube of KY and sit on the wifes puter like you are now slammin peoples **** and advice and ********** to everyones systems in the magazine, cuz thats as close as you will get.

I see nothing from you but insults and stupidity. Show your talk or shut up - Same as everyone else. **** off - Im done on this thread.

misfit138
05-22-2010, 04:12 AM

nice'un.

subzero
05-22-2010, 04:41 AM
I wouldnt even think about using nails. Hell, I wouldnt think about only using wood glue on any of my boxes either. i usually apply glue to the edges and put together and drill pilot holes then use wood screws counter sunk in for a flush look and then I calk the edges inside and Carpet the box.

AudioDave
05-22-2010, 04:45 AM
I wouldnt even think about using nails. Hell, I wouldnt think about only using wood glue on any of my boxes either. i usually apply glue to the edges and put together and drill pilot holes then use wood screws counter sunk in for a flush look and then I calk the edges inside and Carpet the box.

These newbs dont agree I guess with logic. Im with you tho and many others who know how to make enclosures.

AudioDave
05-22-2010, 04:46 AM
nice'un.

Must be black.... great grammar

misfit138
05-22-2010, 04:47 AM
yawn

AudioDave
05-22-2010, 05:08 AM
Yawns too

misfit138
05-22-2010, 06:20 AM
Must be black.... great grammar

These newbs dont agree I guess with logic. Im with you tho and many others who know how to make enclosures.

lulz

You're dumb as ****. :fyi:

on1wheel01
05-22-2010, 04:10 PM
Yawns too

Noobs lets see your boxes. I mean put up or shut up. I'm not even in this but your talkin all this lets see what u can do. And not your employees work yours

AudioDave
05-22-2010, 08:59 PM
lulz

Naw then I would be as dumb as you. LMB noob

AudioDave
05-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Noobs lets see your boxes. I mean put up or shut up. I'm not even in this but your talkin all this lets see what u can do. And not your employees work yours

I already said that noob.

misfit138
05-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Naw then I would be as dumb as you. LMB noob

Welcome back, dumb ****...

Johnny Law.Lulz
05-22-2010, 09:23 PM
I use titebond 2, screw it together, use titebond 2 around all the edges instead of caulk because i like the way it dries. I predrill/counter sink all the holes and use deck screws. Drywall screw heads have snapped off on my before so i use the deck ones with the extra metal around the neck.

skadude016
05-22-2010, 09:34 PM
45 per clamp? eff that! I got 6 of them 45 of egay. Been working great for 2 years now

I Like Waffle
05-22-2010, 10:02 PM
I use titebond 2, screw it together, use titebond 2 around all the edges instead of caulk because i like the way it dries. I predrill/counter sink all the holes and use deck screws. Drywall screw heads have snapped off on my before so i use the deck ones with the extra metal around the neck.

Exactly what i do. You may have been using the wrong screws though, i had the same thing happen with some of the finer thread drywall screws now i use coarse ones and theyre fine.

Audiodave what kind of liquid nails is it you put in the seams? The caulk kind or what?

on1wheel01
05-22-2010, 10:14 PM
I get my clamps at harbour freight they are $6 a clamp. Ok audio u said u already said that5? Your a moron. I said post up some pics of your supposed work. I bet you arnt **** I imagine. And cannot build crap.

misfit138
05-22-2010, 10:18 PM
I get my clamps at harbour freight they are $6 a clamp. Ok audio u said u already said that5? Your a moron. I said post up some pics of your supposed work. I bet you arnt **** I imagine. And cannot build crap.

His "employees" aren't much either. :fyi:

wenn_du_weinst
05-22-2010, 10:26 PM
I use tight bond 2
dry wall screws
.75" birch
little bit of resin most the time

power-fanatic07
05-23-2010, 12:32 AM
lulz

This

Johnny Law.Lulz
05-23-2010, 12:45 AM
Exactly what i do. You may have been using the wrong screws though, i had the same thing happen with some of the finer thread drywall screws now i use coarse ones and theyre fine.

Audiodave what kind of liquid nails is it you put in the seams? The caulk kind or what?

Ive used both fine thread and coarse thread and they break off of both. I use predrilled lags for subs now.

AudioDave
05-23-2010, 12:54 AM

Obviously u cant read either. Wheres your ****? I have pics up all over here.

What is it with all the kids on here who are jealous of others? You guys got nothing better to do then post **** and dis all over after your done playing Runescape or what? Mom take Mario away again? Get a life.

on1wheel01
05-23-2010, 02:16 AM
wow nice grammar it's than not then. But i have many pics of my boxes

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/grnreaper01/f654ad47.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/grnreaper01/5d59d8ca.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/grnreaper01/Box%20builds/15box5.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/grnreaper01/Box%20builds/subbox2-1.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/grnreaper01/Box%20builds/tcboxbuildpaint2.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/grnreaper01/Box%20builds/s10boxbuild.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/grnreaper01/Box%20builds/fibox.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/grnreaper01/Box%20builds/img067.jpg

I have many many more but really there is no point. Nothing to fancy just good old slot port boxes. Also aeros if the customer wants. And fiberglass if they wanna pay. So where's yours. Kids? Wow and jealous? Another wow... Jealous of what? I wasn't even talking **** I just wanted you to post up some pics since you said u did so much custom work. And you go flipping out on me, sounds like u are the one who needs to get a life. And I thought you we're done with this thread many many posts ago.

AudioDave
05-23-2010, 05:55 AM
**** on you too - I got full systems up not empty boxes. I got cars done that you only dream of doing. My son's Blazer is his thing. One of my daily drivers - cost more than your parents house so you can blow me too. I have made more money than you will see in a lifetme of doing your "boxes". Oh and one more thing... Neither he nor I are on here faking out sponsors or claiming to be "reps" for audio companies. He is doing it with his own money - Just like I did. He knows theres more to this thing than just fancy URLs and logos claiming your all that. My pics are on here go find um if it suits your fancy.

RAM_Designs
05-23-2010, 01:13 PM
**** on you too - I got full systems up not empty boxes. I got cars done that you only dream of doing. My son's Blazer is his thing. One of my daily drivers - cost more than your parents house so you can blow me too. I have made more money than you will see in a lifetme of doing your "boxes". Oh and one more thing... Neither he nor I are on here faking out sponsors or claiming to be "reps" for audio companies. He is doing it with his own money - Just like I did. He knows theres more to this thing than just fancy URLs and logos claiming your all that. My pics are on here go find um if it suits your fancy.
Horrible grammar, you must be black going by your own assumptions earlier.

on1wheel01
05-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Lol yea thats what I was thinking. And a big piece of trash also. I was never knocking you. I said just post it up so we can see that you have built them. And then you go knocking my work? Wow really mature guy. My parents house? Lol I own my own house, and my parents own a old plantation house so I doubt that. And I can blow you wow you must have a nerve struck you should learn people skills and grow up. I'm sure you make more money on audio than me. I do it for fun, not looking to make tons as I do it for the love of audio and helping other out. It seems you forgot that long ago. Sad very sad. I just hope one day you grow up and learn not to be such a douche. AAnd also it seems your not a man of your word as you said you we're done here.

FurbiesAndBeans
05-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Don't feed the troll please. Can't you see AudioDave has a 12" ****, has a super model girlfriend, makes more money than anyone else, bench presses 600 lbs, and he knows everything?

on1wheel01
05-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Don't feed the troll please. Can't you see AudioDave has a 12" ****, has a super model girlfriend, makes more money than anyone else, bench presses 600 lbs, and he knows everything?

lolz

Spl170s
05-23-2010, 10:39 PM
No offense guys, but if all the BS was pulled out of this tread, it would be like a 2 page-er.... haha

as i can see, box building techniques are all over the place. i have always used drywall screws up till this question i had...so maybe i will stick to it...never had a box failure so far. but, i also was using liquid nails thinking it was stronger to use... at least i learned otherwise there.

thanks for all the info!

AudioDave
05-24-2010, 02:05 AM

Didnt you post that somewhere else on someone different? Could swear I saw that before. Oh and ya most is true except the **** thing.... its only 2 " - from the ground but I dont claim to know everything. Im just not a know it all like you guys are.

AudioDave
05-24-2010, 02:06 AM
No offense guys, but if all the BS was pulled out of this tread, it would be like a 2 page-er.... haha

as i can see, box building techniques are all over the place. i have always used drywall screws up till this question i had...so maybe i will stick to it...never had a box failure so far. but, i also was using liquid nails thinking it was stronger to use... at least i learned otherwise there.

thanks for all the info!

Sent you a PM im done on this thread too.

I Like Waffle
05-24-2010, 02:22 AM
Lol @ audiodave. I wonder if hes a UFC cagefighter who has bigger fists than brock lesnar too?

BTW feg malone you havent said what style liquid nails you use yet. If its the caulk kind i feel for you. My guess is youre some unloved kid trying to be mr ****** on here. Lol

subzero
05-24-2010, 04:15 AM
Good luck with your build buddy...

bassman3
05-24-2010, 05:50 AM
Lol yea thats what I was thinking. And a big piece of trash also. I was never knocking you. I said just post it up so we can see that you have built them. And then you go knocking my work? Wow really mature guy. My parents house? Lol I own my own house, and my parents own a old plantation house so I doubt that. And I can blow you wow you must have a nerve struck you should learn people skills and grow up. I'm sure you make more money on audio than me. I do it for fun, not looking to make tons as I do it for the love of audio and helping other out. It seems you forgot that long ago. Sad very sad. I just hope one day you grow up and learn not to be such a douche. AAnd also it seems your not a man of your word as you said you we're done here.

Seems very unprofessional for him to be saying things like this to you.

Hey AudioDave ~ I'm based out of Oregon as well, would like to come by and see your amazing shop that you are bragging about. Your enclosures too :D

AudioDave
05-24-2010, 06:19 AM
Seems very unprofessional for him to be saying things like this to you.

Hey AudioDave ~ I'm based out of Oregon as well, would like to come by and see your amazing shop that you are bragging about. Your enclosures too :D

Careful dude. PM sent. And im not based out of Oregon. I just live here part time. Also you started on me go back and look in the posts. I didnt knock your work or insult you first.

AudioDave
05-24-2010, 06:25 AM

You read? This is pretty coarse to me and asking for it, thats why I said it to you.

roarzorz
05-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Hahaha, I'm convinced now that AudioDave is just another one of those daydreaming kids making himself out to be WAAAAYYYY more than he really is. He claims to have these epic box building skills but all his build pics show 13yr olds building some really ****** looking boxes. Also according to him it's okay to build ****** boxes cause the carpet covers it up. I want to know what organization does your wife compete in?

ramos
05-24-2010, 10:44 AM
noob....id bet you couldnt spell SQ nevertheless know wtf I am talking about. Heres how your too busy: Just get your CA&E mag, a tube of KY and sit on the wifes puter like you are now slammin peoples **** and advice and ********** to everyones systems in the magazine, cuz thats as close as you will get.

I see nothing from you but insults and stupidity. Show your talk or shut up - Same as everyone else. **** off - Im done on this thread.

lol psychic as well as a master craftsman. Do your feet get wet when you walk on water? :)

nateberrier
05-24-2010, 10:58 AM
I use 3/4 MDF, drywall screws with predrilled holes and subfloor adhesive. my boxes arent **** but they do what they are supposed to. I would carpet my box but theres no point if I cant keep a system for two months without trying something new.

ahole-ic
05-24-2010, 02:02 PM
If people were really concerned with structural integrity of the joins they would dove tail and screw. We all know that threads pull out of mdf relatively easily, but a glued and screwed dovetail would be the absolute best way. ANYTHING else is just relying on the glue and whatever fastener is only there to hold the boards in place while the glue dries.

chillin
05-24-2010, 04:49 PM
how much longer would it take to dovetail every corner including slot ports on a box?

AudioDave
05-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Hahaha, I'm convinced now that AudioDave is just another one of those daydreaming kids making himself out to be WAAAAYYYY more than he really is. He claims to have these epic box building skills but all his build pics show 13yr olds building some really ****** looking boxes. Also according to him it's okay to build ****** boxes cause the carpet covers it up. I want to know what organization does your wife compete in?

ALL my build pics? Dude you cant fkkn see. Theres 1 build where my son is doing his sytem learning. Noone is 13 either. Also not daydreaming with pics noob.

on1wheel01
05-24-2010, 07:27 PM
ALL my build pics? Dude you cant fkkn see. Theres 1 build where my son is doing his sytem learning. Noone is 13 either. Also not daydreaming with pics noob.

Wow guy thought you we're done with this thread pages ago. Seems you can't keep your work. And it's sad your blaming your ****** work on your son. Wow what a father. Ad again your grammar and spelling is terrible.

AudioDave
05-24-2010, 07:44 PM
Look at your spelling - you got nothing to say to me noob.

James Bang
05-24-2010, 08:17 PM
screws aren't needed.

James Bang
05-24-2010, 08:17 PM
dave's a noob and apparently anti-social

AudioDave
05-25-2010, 01:21 AM
dave's a noob and apparently anti-social

not anti social but whatever noob cant believe how many followers there on here. Feels like JR High all over again. You should change your title to Hand. KY coordination and bang yourself.

misfit138
05-25-2010, 01:26 AM
not anti social but whatever noob cant believe how many followers there on here. Feels like JR High all over again. You should change your title to Hand. KY coordination and bang yourself.

Why do you talk about jacking off so much, newbie?

AudioDave
05-25-2010, 01:30 AM
Not me with it in my name and avatar noob

misfit138
05-25-2010, 01:34 AM
You still can't win. :fyi:

AudioDave
05-25-2010, 01:34 AM
You still can't win. :fyi:

I still dont care :)

misfit138
05-25-2010, 01:38 AM
I still dont care :)

Whatever gets ya through the day, dumb ****...

AudioDave
05-25-2010, 01:42 AM
ok asscave

rmzsuzuki89
05-25-2010, 01:57 AM
This reminds me of one of those cotjones threads from forever ago.

RAM_Designs
05-25-2010, 02:15 AM
This reminds me of one of those cotjones threads from forever ago.

Yep, just makes your head hurt with all of the stupidity.

James Bang
05-25-2010, 03:24 AM

Yup. Jr. High all over again. You need to take wood shop again if you haven't already.

TnT_Sounds
05-25-2010, 04:00 AM
screw

James Bang
05-25-2010, 12:06 PM
glue :)

ramos
05-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Electro magnets, the enclosure adhesive of the future. :)

ahole-ic
05-25-2010, 12:41 PM
how much longer would it take to dovetail every corner including slot ports on a box?
With a router table and dovetail bits? It really doesn't take very long. It takes a lot longer to predrill every hole. You just set your fence, turn your table on and do all of the male ends on one side. Flip the fence or board and do the other side so now you have a dovetail. Then set the fence again and run all of your others through for the females. Totals maybe 15 minutes on a big box. Predrill 5+ screws per joint takes considerably longer and is not as strong. This wasn't the point though. The point is, if you're worried about strength, screws aren't the answer. A strong joint is. Screws pull out of mdf like no other so they aren't the answer. a dovetail and something to brace the corner is about as strong as you can get. Personally, I just glue, nail, and brace.

rmzsuzuki89
05-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Yep, just makes your head hurt with all of the stupidity.

Not even that, just the ignorance and unwillingness to listen, and at least consider advice.

I wish I could remember the link to that adhesive shootout type thing. They tested all types of adhesive. Wood glue came out on top for wood, Liquid Nails was at the bottom.:(

ahole-ic
05-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Not even that, just the ignorance and unwillingness to listen, and at least consider advice.

I wish I could remember the link to that adhesive shootout type thing. They tested all types of adhesive. Wood glue came out on top for wood, Liquid Nails was at the bottom.:(

I would have to agree completely. Wood glue dries like a hard plastic and it gets into all of the pores of the wood in its liquid form. You get a great bond this way. Liquid nails is always thick. It can't get into pores and it never dries really hard. It is always semi tacky. This makes it a decent joint sealant but a horrible glue.

roarzorz
05-25-2010, 04:46 PM
So a supposed wealthy middle-aged father and business owner with 20 years experience in car audio is online arguing and name calling like a little kid???

Yep I'm convinced you're just a trolling wannabe.

ahole-ic
05-25-2010, 04:52 PM
So a supposed wealthy middle-aged father and business owner with 20 years experience in car audio is online arguing and name calling like a little kid???

Yep I'm convinced you're just a trolling wannabe.

Well he obviously doesn't own a shop or he would KNOW by now that having your builders predrill and screw is too time consuming and has no real benefit. He would be losing money like crazy. He would have never lasted 20 years and he wouldn't be able to keep good help because they would know their boss was an idiot and quit due to wasting too much time. Imagine a boss that demands you do unnecessary things when you know there is a better way, he won't listen to facts or reason, and then gripes at you when you take too long even though he's the one that caused it. I can only think of will castro.

James Bang
05-26-2010, 04:08 AM
chemical bond vs. physical bond

FurbiesAndBeans
05-26-2010, 04:21 AM
I think i figured it out... AudioDave is the son that's talking like as if he was the dad. Makes a lot of sense.

Slo_Ride
05-26-2010, 06:38 PM
:eyebrow: wtf happened to this thread? I'm telling you, wood glue, the best thing I can find to hold mdf together.

roarzorz
05-26-2010, 07:21 PM
I think i figured it out... AudioDave is the son that's talking like as if he was the dad. Makes a lot of sense.

I'm pretty sure you're correct. If you pay attention to his Blazer build log it starts out as HIM building HIS truck and then after the comments were made about the kids in the pics he says it's his son's truck and his son is building it.

misfit138
05-26-2010, 07:24 PM
I'm pretty sure you're correct. If you pay attention to his Blazer build log it starts out as HIM building HIS truck and then after the comments were made about the kids in the pics he says it's his son's truck and his son is building it.

Does it really matter? He's dumb as **** either way.

on1wheel01
05-26-2010, 11:47 PM
lol maybe he will just go away since he and his lies are not wanted here