PDA

View Full Version : Chevette Front Stage

nateberrier
05-18-2010, 09:08 AM
Ive been busy at work on the little SH*ter for the past few weeks. Work has been slow mainly due to it being neglected for 3 years but I can finally say that I am off to work on the stereo. I have the big three done with a 4gauge run to the back (I have 1/0 just no need for it atm) and a CDA 9855 for the deck and some crappy pioneers to keep the quiet out. I would tell you more about it but Its not important right now. I have little room in the kicks for speakers (where they are right now though unfortunately) and no room in the doors. I will have to make baffles for them obv but I havent done this before.

I need help with doing this cheap and getting the speakers pointed right/ using the right materials.
I am down for glass but I havent done it before. My plan was to cut some MDF rings and bondo around that, then either just paint it or vinyl/carpet it.

I have a rotozip, plenty of mdf and want to use 5 1/4s. Im not sure how to get them to curve up short of sanding for a long period of time.

ramos
05-18-2010, 09:16 AM
for aiming there is no better tool than a couple sets of ears. Cut your rings or baffles out for the drivers. Then get yourself a few hand towels or kitchen towels. Use the towels to set the drivers in, using the towels to block the back side of the drivers ( keep the waves seperated). Throw them in the car and listen. keep adjusting the aim until you get the sound stage your after. :)

nateberrier
05-18-2010, 09:32 AM
Thanks. Once I find the right angle how do I get them to stay there while keeping it sealed? just sand one of the baffles untill its at the angle i want? smash some kind of putty around it?

mossberg385t
05-18-2010, 09:47 AM
we should probably just have coop help us make new kicks

ramos
05-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Modeling Clay works well to hold the angles. But it all depends on how the kicks are built. Not all kicks are fiberglass blobs in the floor.
Here is a naked pic sans carpet and grill from my car to give you an idea of what I'm saying. That is a 5 1/4" mid in the kick with zero loss of foot room :)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a393/moyerme/0430101213.jpg