PDA

View Full Version : Pics of Cousins Box we did, (BIG PICS, Warning)

smullen
01-08-2004, 11:41 PM
Ok here are the details of that throw together system we did in my cousin Tanya's 2004 Explorer, the system consists of

A Kenwood Headunit (can't remember the model).

Front and Rear Pairs of Alpine Type R Mid/tweet Sets... (really Needs more Midbass for sure!!!!!)

Sub box is 4 Sealed 1.5 CU^ enclsoures, 1 for each of the 12" Alpine Type R subs, with a sliding drawer under it for the amps

2 Runs of 4 Guage from Front to rear to Distribution Blocks and Fuse Blocks... (I wanted to go bigger, but thats what she had).

Amps

1 Large Rockford Fosgate (don't remember the model #, you'll see the pic) for Front speakers

1 mid sized Audiobahn (cool digital volt meter) for rear speakers

2 OLD school Hifonics Series VII (I think) Boltars, each pusing 2-12"s each channel 2 Ohms

The box is carpeted with some jankey carpert that was not my idea...

I wanted to do all of it but the speaker baffel in Vinyl, and baffle fiberglassed to paint Body color, but there was a few days wait on the vinyl and

they would not wait, so they got the carpert... However I did get to dabble in the Fiberglass... We basicly carpeted everything but teh front baffle and covered it in Resin, sanded and painted...

So here are most of the pics... They are pretty much in order step by step, except I lost a few of the 1st ones,,,,

Warning, pics are Big...

Lemme know what ya think...
http://www.teamxratedstl.com/Scotts/TanyasExplorer/

alove_85
01-08-2004, 11:47 PM
looks pretty **** good to me!

boister77
01-09-2004, 02:11 AM
nice intsall. i just hope you open the drawer when you run the system hard or you may run into heating problems. you could install fans on it to solve the problem. i bet you built the drawer to hide the amps when you park the car.

PT Teal
01-09-2004, 02:42 AM
Very nice install there. I also say the same about the fans, but maybe you took care of that!
The carpet looks good! How did you get it so good?

Sweeeeeet

iamamp3pimp
01-09-2004, 04:30 AM
for "janky carpet (you said) it looks really **** good to mem i mean really good, like 11 out of 10

the carpet/fiberglass mix is professional looking man, you guys did a good job

smullen
01-09-2004, 06:30 AM
nice intsall. i just hope you open the drawer when you run the system hard or you may run into heating problems. you could install fans on it to solve the problem. i bet you built the drawer to hide the amps when you park the car.

There are (4) 3" square fans on the backside of the drawer, 2 on each side, 2 draw air in, 2 draw air out... Those along with the amps are on relays so they come on with the headunit, but the fans can be shut off if need be..

Even with the fans, I'm still concerned about heating problems, thats the main reason I did not make a face plate or flush pannel to cover the amps and all the wiring. I had it mostly cut out, where all that would be visible would be the top of the amps' heatsinks;I was gonna glass it, to have a finish just like the woofers' baffle with matching paint and all...

We did the drawer for a few reasons.

Kinda hide the amps, but if someone looks in they have seen the big a$$ sub box so the gigs up anyway
Wanted to leave some room for storage of crap, like groceries and some closhes or whatever...
Was kinda outta room to put the amps without them sticking right in your face...
Along with the fiberglass/Painted surface, I thought it would add some creativity and style to a otherwise plain install...
It was fun doing it though... In a few months, when they get some moro cash, we may redo it..

I had so much fun, I may pull all my stuff outta my Blazer just to mess around while saving for my next incarnation of a temp system...

I get bored of the same thing... and I really wanna inprove my speed and overall looks of the install... I have so much to learn...

Thanks for all the input...

smullen
01-09-2004, 06:40 AM
for "janky carpet (you said) it looks really **** good to mem i mean really good, like 11 out of 10

the carpet/fiberglass mix is professional looking man, you guys did a good job

Very nice install there. I also say the same about the fans, but maybe you took care of that!
The carpet looks good! How did you get it so good?

Sweeeeeet

Well, thanks, that makes me feel better about it... I duuno why, I'm just not feeling the carpet... Again, I wanted to do vinyl or mroe glass...

As far as how we got it so good... ???? I dunno, we just made a big 1.5"x 4' x 8' work bench outta 2 slices of MDF (used later) and put each part to be carpeted up there and laid out a peice of carpet and moved it around to see how it would cover the best. Sanded all the edges and corners, Cut the carpet with Brand new razor knifes... Some peices we did a few times if we didn't like the way it laid. We used a lot of 3Ms Super something Spray adhesive... Like 13.00 a bottle

I guess its better that we did carpet. Vinyl shows more imperfections and we haven't used it as much... Thanks again..

EzekialPhoenix
01-09-2004, 09:36 AM
how does it sound??

BDIDDY
01-09-2004, 05:41 PM
Pretty slick...

I thought that was some type of stainles steel or something not glass. Very loud? And if I was you I would eventually glass around the wheel wells just to give it a custom (?) look.

Looks great though, keep up the good work.

smullen
01-09-2004, 05:48 PM
It sounds good and clean and its fairly loud, bt not loud enough.... Specially for people around here...

At about 75% volume it starts to sound like ****... I think I hear cone breakup or something like that...

I think each sub it getting around 250-300 a peice,,, Not enough... I'l like t see somewhere around 750 each..

Since the box is 4 Chambers, we are going to try taking the 4 subs off the 2 amps and just running 2 subs one on each amp, same box to see if more power helps... If so, we'll be getting more/bigger amps...

ted2136
01-09-2004, 05:48 PM
i think it looks good :thumbsup:

desi_daru
01-09-2004, 06:34 PM
F*CK that is nice job man

Sturge
01-09-2004, 07:22 PM
NICE! I love those Series VII HiFonics...not real pretty, but rock solid and full of power.

smullen
01-10-2004, 04:12 PM
NICE! I love those Series VII HiFonics...not real pretty, but rock solid and full of power.
Yea I did'em too.. I have like 2 friends that I hang out with alot, we have been using HiFonics amps for well over 10 years, prolly more like 13 or so...

bass maniak
01-10-2004, 05:26 PM
looks pretty sweet man but i dont like the use of so many diffrent amps but the instal is def nice.

smullen
01-10-2004, 05:31 PM
looks pretty sweet man but i dont like the use of so many diffrent amps but the instal is def nice.
Yea I agree and I don't either, but this was a last minute system, done as kinda an impulse job...

As you can tell about every peice was bought in a different generation... This was built 90% out of stuff laying around fro some past systems... About the onyl thing bought new was the subs, carpet, paint and MDF...

marleyskater420
01-10-2004, 09:19 PM
Im definatly liking the butler amps.

smullen
01-11-2004, 03:27 AM
Im definatly liking the butler amps.

<--- Lost, what are ""butler amps""?

marleyskater420
01-11-2004, 03:38 AM
Hah oops. My bad. I thought BOLTAR said BUTLER...hah..oh...eep..