PDA

View Full Version : Tweeter question because i dont get it

Theride
05-15-2010, 05:54 PM
why the hell my driver side tweeter always blow? Ive gone through about 5 set of tweeters now since last summer. It blow whether or not I used the passive cross over.

I had a set of pioneer 6x9 coaxial since maybe 2004 and those thing always play. no matter what beating i give them

are components more fragile than coaxial? Im giving these things 125 per side and the component set is suppose to take 200 tops 125 rms.

How are you guys giving yall sets 200 and 250 watts and not blow your tweets?

Blasphemy
05-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Clipping maybe. What comps and amp?

Theride
05-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Clipping maybe. What comps and amp?

ID passive crossover. ID tweeter. Rainbow mid. MB Quart 4125 amp. PLus that amp gets hotter than hot sand.

Theride
05-15-2010, 06:00 PM
I dont want to go back to coaxial but it seems thats where i gotta try next.

Blasphemy
05-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Did you set the gain with a DMM or O-Scope?

Theride
05-15-2010, 06:03 PM
Did you set the gain with a DMM or O-Scope?

i set it by..radio 3/4. turn up amp till distort a little. then back off on the amp.

but why the left side always crap out first?

Blasphemy
05-15-2010, 06:06 PM
i set it by..radio 3/4. turn up amp till distort a little. then back off on the amp.

Don't know.

whitedragon551
05-15-2010, 06:40 PM

Thats why right there. Just because you go 3/4 of the way and turn it down until you cant hear an audible distortion doesnt mean there isnt clipping going on. Set with a DMM is safer than by ear and reduces the chance of clipping, but an O-Scope is the only way to set without any chance of clipping.

stocker08
05-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Be safe. Set gains around half or less.

bubbagumper6
05-15-2010, 06:48 PM
ID passive crossover. ID tweeter. Rainbow mid. MB Quart 4125 amp. PLus that amp gets hotter than hot sand.

And that doesn't seem like a problem to you?

Be safe. Set gains around half or less.

You can easily still clip an amp with the gain set at less than half, don't open your mouth if you don't know what your talking about :fyi:

whitedragon551
05-15-2010, 06:49 PM
You can easily still clip an amp with the gain set at less than half, don't open your mouth if you don't know what your talking about :fyi:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Theride
05-15-2010, 06:59 PM

whats the problem there? I understand the mid is different but the crossover and tweeter were made for each other.

im still learning this audio thing but it hurts the pocket when you have to learn the hard way.

supermaxx123
05-15-2010, 07:00 PM
distortion isn't where clipping starts as stated. Try swithcing the tweeter from the right to the left see if it blows, maybe there's a short or something in your wire.

bubbagumper6
05-15-2010, 07:02 PM
whats the problem there? I understand the mid is different but the crossover and tweeter were made for each other.

im still learning this audio thing but it hurts the pocket when you have to learn the hard way.

Sorry, I meant to bold part of that quote, I was focusing on the fact that your amp gets hot. That's a red flag that something is wrong. It might get warm but it should really never get hot.

ciaonzo
05-15-2010, 07:02 PM
You're less likely to blow your tweeters if they have their own channel of amplification. This can be facilitated either by using passive crossovers that can be bi-amplified, or by using the active filters in your head unit or amplifier, whichever the case may be.

stocker08
05-15-2010, 07:05 PM

Ok. Obviously I was less than clear with that one. I understand that you can clip an amp at less than half gain. I was more talking about for the sake of the amp. Not everybody has an o-scope at their immediate disposal.

Theride
05-15-2010, 07:05 PM
How comes I never blew a mid? why the tweet goes first? Plus I thought since im using the passive crossover that the signal is distributed accordingly

Theride
05-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Sorry, I meant to bold part of that quote, I was focusing on the fact that your amp gets hot. That's a red flag that something is wrong. It might get warm but it should really never get hot.

Could the amp not be good?

Theride
05-15-2010, 07:09 PM
You're less likely to blow your tweeters if they have their own channel of amplification. This can be facilitated either by using passive crossovers that can be bi-amplified, or by using the active filters in your head unit or amplifier, whichever the case may be.

I dont think this amp is good at going active. The HU i dont think can go active.

I kinda rule out going active because i dont have enough knowledge to do so safely. so thats why i decided im going to use the passive crossover where i set it and forget it.

ciaonzo
05-15-2010, 07:12 PM
I dont think this amp is good at going active. The HU i dont think can go active.

I kinda rule out going active because i dont have enough knowledge to do so safely. so thats why i decided im going to use the passive crossover where i set it and forget it.That's okay if you're more comfortable using passive filters, but not all of them can be bi-amplified. Hopefully yours can be, then you just need four channels of amplification - two for the mids, two for the tweets.

These articles may fill in some of the blanks for you concerning your history of blown tweeters. It'll take a little while to read but I guarantee you will learn something.

Why Do Tweeters Blow When Amplifiers Distort? (http://sound.westhost.com/tweeters.htm)

BiAmp (Bi-Amplification - Not Quite Magic, But Close) - Part 1 (http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm)

stocker08
05-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Could the amp not be good?

No. That is most likely not the case. The amps temp fluctuation could be because of many things; impedance, insufficient power/ground, gains, etc...

Theride
05-15-2010, 07:15 PM
That's okay if you're more comfortable using passive filters, but not all of them can be bi-amplified. Hopefully yours can be, then you just need four channels of amplification - two for the mids, two for the tweets.

These articles may fill in some of the blanks for you concerning your history of blown tweeters. It'll take a little while to read but I guarantee you will learn something.

Why Do Tweeters Blow When Amplifiers Distort? (http://sound.westhost.com/tweeters.htm)

BiAmp (Bi-Amplification - Not Quite Magic, But Close) - Part 1 (http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm)

Thanks for the links. im going to read them.

These crossover cannot be bi-amped. they are the crossover from the XS65 set. also the tweets are from that set. Image Dynamics.

Theride
05-15-2010, 07:17 PM
No. That is most likely not the case. The amps temp fluctuation could be because of many things; impedance, insufficient power/ground, gains, etc...

The amp I use for the sub do not get hot. its a JBL 600.1. I had this JBL amo for about 4-5 years now and it never gets that hot.

ciaonzo
05-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the links. im going to read them.

These crossover cannot be bi-amped. they are the crossover from the XS65 set. also the tweets are from that set. Image Dynamics.This may seem counter-intuitive, but another option is to use an amplifier with more power on reserve to keep from clipping the tops off of high frequency waveforms. That will make more sense to you after you read those two articles. Mind you, the extra power is not so you can throw more continuous power at your components, it's so you will have clean reserve power. With more power on tap you will be tempted turn it up more, and you can to a small degree, depending on how much power you currently use, but if you're not careful you run the risk of repeating the cycle or simply cooking the coils with too much continuous power.

Also, try not to boost high frequencies too much, if at all. Rather, cut your midrange frequencies if possible, to provide the same relative frequency response that you would have by boosting the high frequencies. This will somewhat help keep more reserve power in your amplifier. Everything in moderation.

DukeNut
05-15-2010, 08:32 PM
if it is only the driver's side tweet that blows, i tend to think you have a short in the speaker wiring.

bubbagumper6
05-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Ok. Obviously I was less than clear with that one. I understand that you can clip an amp at less than half gain. I was more talking about for the sake of the amp. Not everybody has an o-scope at their immediate disposal.

That makes no sense...Clipping can destroy speakers AND amplifiers.

stocker08
05-18-2010, 02:54 AM
That makes no sense...Clipping can destroy speakers AND amplifiers.

Yes, I know. I was simply pointing out that if he was worried about the excessive heat coming off his amp, he could dial back the gain. He set the gain by ear, so is it not possible that he could be pushing the amp too hard?

ramos
05-18-2010, 08:42 AM
Where are the tweeters mounted? If the drivers side is extremely off axis vs. the passengers side being on axis, it's level will be considerably down from the right tweeter dependng on the tweeters themselves. Sure your not doing some adjusting to compensate for this? :)

whitedragon551
05-18-2010, 08:44 AM
Yes, I know. I was simply pointing out that if he was worried about the excessive heat coming off his amp, he could dial back the gain. He set the gain by ear, so is it not possible that he could be pushing the amp too hard?

Its very possible there is still clipping going on. Just because you dont hear distortion doesnt mean its not there.

Villeza1
05-18-2010, 09:28 AM

Hell yea it does, but thats b/c you have a very low resistance. Probably going below recommended ohms. Heat from the amp will cause the speakers to over heat and inevitable blow. The way to fix this is to get another MB Quart 4125 or a better amp in general...or just turn down the amp gains. But then you wont hear ****.