PDA

View Full Version : Tight fit...speaker clearance?

skimo
01-08-2004, 05:39 AM
I'm trying to find .6 sq ft beneath the rear drivers side seat in a full size GMC extended cab. I have to point the 10" sub down because there is a max height of 8.5" beneath the seat. I need every millimeter I can find.

How much clearance do I need to allow between the speaker and the floor? Speaker is an Alpine Type S - 1041 D. Xmax/Xpeak is 11.3mm/22.6mm (.44/.88 inches). Mechanical excursion is 40mm (1.575 inches).

Thanks,
Skimo

wags
01-08-2004, 01:53 PM
probably you would just need 12-13mm for the excursion of the sub. Otherwise, I wouldn't really recommend putting it under the seat.

skimo
01-08-2004, 10:12 PM
probably you would just need 12-13mm for the excursion of the sub. Otherwise, I wouldn't really recommend putting it under the seat.

I was considering 2 inches of clearance just wide enough for the speaker itself - and leaving it open in the front as kind of a channel for the sound.

Why do you not recommend putting it under the seat?

Unfortunately its a daily driver and I often have kids or packages in it. I can't give up the seat space.

Trixter
01-10-2004, 01:08 PM
All you really need is enough clearance for the excursion of the cone. Also, make sure you have enough room between the magnet and the back of the box if you have a vented pole piece.

skimo
01-10-2004, 03:18 PM
Thanks Trixter,

I'm not even sure what a vented pole is, but I looked at the specs on my Type S and see that it does have a "extended and vented pole". So - how much room should I leave behind the magnet?

Which also brings up another question. I plan to stuff the sealed box because I'm pushing minimum size. Do I need to leave the area behind the magnet clear of stuffing?

Thanks,
Skimo