PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to Lower Port Tuning

RLJ676
05-07-2010, 02:31 PM
I bought a used box for my SDC2.5 10, and it's tuned a little higher than I'd like. After displacement I believe it is really a 42 using this calculater. Products Menu (http://www.psp-inc.com/tools.html)

Here is the box dimensions, port info Single cab truck box for one 10" (http://caraudio.com/forum/car-audio-classifieds/469383-single-cab-truck-box-one-10-a.html)

I like the design of the box, it fits my car perfectly (who would have thought a truck box for a Dakota would be exactly perfect for a C6 vette), but I'd like to get tuning closer to 36. According to that calculator, and assuming sub displacement of .15 or so I need a 16.2 long aero port, which won't work in the 15" tall box......

So, short of porting out the side, what are my options? Could I turn it into a slot port?

Last, I'm running the SDC2.5 10 at 950 watts at 2 ohms, but am thinking of dropping in HDC, DD3510, LVL 4 10, etc and running 1500 at 1 ohm if that would change anything. I've also thought with higher power I could run a 12 maybe for more cone area? I'm wanting a more musical/accurate sound and greater output (particularly lower).

CoilBurner
05-07-2010, 03:17 PM
You can bend the aero once it goes intot he box and just turn it towards the sub, should give you plenty of length that you need

marcotheclepto
05-07-2010, 03:23 PM
You can bend the aero once it goes intot he box and just turn it towards the sub, should give you plenty of length that you need

this is a good idea, also if you were wanting to add a slot port might be a good idea to just try your hands at a build?

RLJ676
05-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Do you know how you measure w/ a bend, at the centerline I assume? I had thought of this, wasn't sure if it's doable.

Might also have an issue w/ an internal brace being in the way.

RLJ676
05-07-2010, 03:54 PM
this is a good idea, also if you were wanting to add a slot port might be a good idea to just try your hands at a build?

I've considered this, but I'd end up with basically the same box I have. I've built boxes (over 12 years ago haha) so that's not the problem. It's more of a time and lack of garage/tools that limit me. If I can do a quicker operation I can borrow friends garages without feeling guilty.

Bumpin' Goalie
05-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Yeah making an elbow to bend it would work. And as far as musicality and lower bass, Level 4 gets my vote of the subs mentioned.

Worst case scenario, building a new box using the same kind of space and design with a slot port is always possible. This would also allow you to make the airspace perfect for a 12" if you decide to go with it.

rosshimself13
05-07-2010, 04:14 PM
also keep in mind a longer port will take up more space, so you will have a smaller net volume requiring a longer port... its a big circle but if you figure out the math its not that hard... i agree with building a new box, it may not be the most cost effective, but will end up being the box you want

bubbagumper6
05-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Could always try adding polyfill. It tricks the woofer into thinking the box is larger so should in effect, lower the tuning.

iamamp3pimp
05-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Do you know how you measure w/ a bend, at the centerline I assume? I had thought of this, wasn't sure if it's doable.

Might also have an issue w/ an internal brace being in the way.

then bust it out and move it.

reglue/screw it and use these to make it look good since its already carpeted.

http://www.pro-dec.com/core/media/media.nl?id=360&c=307160&h=99d10dd68455e183139c

RLJ676
05-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Yeah making an elbow to bend it would work. And as far as musicality and lower bass, Level 4 gets my vote of the subs mentioned.

Worst case scenario, building a new box using the same kind of space and design with a slot port is always possible. This would also allow you to make the airspace perfect for a 12" if you decide to go with it.

I want to build a new box for some reason, quit tempting me to just do it haha. The LVL 4 seems to be a popular sub for what I'm looking to do. Looks like a 12 wants a fairly small box, so that might work well. What does it need to be tuned to? I would need a real long aero port I think, might force me to build a new box or really tear up this one.

RLJ676
05-08-2010, 02:30 PM
also keep in mind a longer port will take up more space, so you will have a smaller net volume requiring a longer port... its a big circle but if you figure out the math its not that hard... i agree with building a new box, it may not be the most cost effective, but will end up being the box you want

I assume that the calculator I linked to takes the port displacement into account, otherwise it just creates an endless loop (gives you port length, you subtract port volume, then it gives a new length, and on and on haha).

RLJ676
05-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Could always try adding polyfill. It tricks the woofer into thinking the box is larger so should in effect, lower the tuning.

This is something I've thought of, but haven't read anything definitive on this working for ported boxes?

RLJ676
05-08-2010, 02:31 PM
then bust it out and move it.

reglue/screw it and use these to make it look good since its already carpeted.

http://www.pro-dec.com/core/media/media.nl?id=360&c=307160&h=99d10dd68455e183139c

Good idea, thanks.

bubbagumper6
05-08-2010, 03:56 PM
This is something I've thought of, but haven't read anything definitive on this working for ported boxes?

Well Polyfill costs like $5 and is easily removable so try it, and if you don't like it, it's not like your out a ton. I've heard of a lot people using it in ported boxes, never played with it myself, even though I do have a bag laying around here somewhere.

DonH
05-08-2010, 04:03 PM
elbow. keep it with an aero broham

RLJ676
05-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Well Polyfill costs like $5 and is easily removable so try it, and if you don't like it, it's not like your out a ton. I've heard of a lot people using it in ported boxes, never played with it myself, even though I do have a bag laying around here somewhere.

If I don't end up totally changing subs, etc I think I'll give this a try.

RLJ676
05-08-2010, 04:19 PM
elbow. keep it with an aero broham

This is looking like the best plan so far.

sjobas
05-08-2010, 05:52 PM
if you mount the sub inside out you have little more space

RLJ676
05-08-2010, 09:51 PM
if you mount the sub inside out you have little more space

I know, but then I can't put my targa top in the back. This box is a literal perfect fit, couldn't be any bigger (other than just extending the top out) and still store the targa top. I got real lucky it was for sale near me, built for an SDC2.5 and up for sale just as I bought the sub.