PDA

View Full Version : 3/4" MDF vs. 1" MDF

sumone
01-07-2004, 02:04 PM
Of course 1" is thicker/heavier, but does one or the other have different effects on the sound? Like for instance, "1 inch MDF allows lower bass, etc."

BDIDDY
01-07-2004, 02:20 PM
Probably would be louder because it wouldnt flex as easily but not by much, just depends on what subs you have in there to make the wood flex.

ramos
01-07-2004, 02:33 PM
Weight brother man. 1" MDF is some heavy $hit. Brace 3/4" properly and it's great. No lower bass, I doubt that it would be louder actually. :)

LoneRanger
01-07-2004, 04:07 PM
in a blind taste test, two out of three people chose ketchup over 1" laminated MDF dust and 3/4" non-laminate MDF dust.

The only advantage is that you don't have to brace the 1" as much. If you're creating standing waves in the box that will flex 3/4" masonite, chances are it will flex the 1" stuff too. I've compared them both head to head, and there is ABSOLUTELY NO AUDIBLE DIFFERENCE.

However, the 1" stuff is sturdier and will take a serious beating (www.gnomeaudio.com/standinonbox.JPG). That box in the picture is not internally braced, by the way :)

I personally like the way the 1" stock i get looks....it's got a nice white formica laminate on both sides, and that extra quarter inch just makes it look meaner.

staggs
01-07-2004, 04:24 PM
/me whistles..

http://www.gnomeaudio.com/images/standinonbox.JPG

He left out the images directory

LoneRanger
01-07-2004, 04:28 PM
/me whistles..

http://www.gnomeaudio.com/images/standinonbox.JPG

He left out the images directory

thats why you're the webmaster and i'm the lowly box builder :)

staggs
01-07-2004, 04:45 PM
Which reminds me, here in about a month, I'm going to do a little revamping on a few sections. And add another section that you talked to me about.

I'm just so busy here at work, it's crazy.

LoneRanger
01-07-2004, 07:10 PM
Which reminds me, here in about a month, I'm going to do a little revamping on a few sections. And add another section that you talked to me about.

I'm just so busy here at work, it's crazy.

take your time bub....i'm ready when you are :)

Master Blaster
02-28-2004, 08:39 PM
I use 1" only when I'm designing enclosures for Extream setups 9515s Treo's , MMATS Juggs XXX Shockers, some guys like to use 3/4 X 2 ( 2 layers) no difference in sound at least for my ears but I'm def so what the hell do I know ;) and as far as lower bass, that's false it's all in the design..