PDA

View Full Version : sq.in. of port per cu.ft. of box

k_schutte
05-01-2010, 11:25 PM
OK I think the general rule is like 14-16 sq.in. of port per cu.ft. of box but that is for slot port. Does it change at all when going to aero ports? I ask because I know aeros are more "efficient" than slots but I am not sure how far that goes and what not...

My box is going to be 7ft^3 net and I can do three 6" aeros which will give me roughly 85"^2 of port (about 12sq.in. per cubic foot) or I can add a fourth and get 113"^2 of port (about 16sq.in. per cubic foot).

bassman3
05-02-2010, 12:02 AM
OK I think the general rule is like 14-16 sq.in. of port per cu.ft. of box but that is for slot port. Does it change at all when going to aero ports? I ask because I know aeros are more "efficient" than slots but I am not sure how far that goes and what not...

My box is going to be 7ft^3 net and I can do three 6" aeros which will give me roughly 85"^2 of port (about 12sq.in. per cubic foot) or I can add a fourth and get 113"^2 of port (about 16sq.in. per cubic foot).

Well, some people go by the rule of 8-12 sq. in. per cubic foot but it really depends on the power that you will be running to it. for example you could use a 3" port for subx and run 500rms to it and have no port noise at all, if you run 1500 to subx and have a 3" port you could have port noise. Yes, aero ports are more efficient and when I calculate how much port area I generally use no less than 5 square inches of port per cube and have never had problems.

I Like Waffle
05-02-2010, 12:06 AM
i always use 14-16 for slot ports and my **** always slams. lol.

k_schutte
05-02-2010, 12:25 AM
Well, some people go by the rule of 8-12 sq. in. per cubic foot but it really depends on the power that you will be running to it. for example you could use a 3" port for subx and run 500rms to it and have no port noise at all, if you run 1500 to subx and have a 3" port you could have port noise. Yes, aero ports are more efficient and when I calculate how much port area I generally use no less than 5 square inches of port per cube and have never had problems.

it will be getting 2K~ daily and 5K~ for burps. I just wasn't sure if I should go with 3 or 4 ports but after reading around it sounds like 12"^2 of port per ft^3 of box seems just fine.

slam
05-02-2010, 12:45 AM
my port area is bigger then my subs. what r u going for?

edit: just read above post. go for one and stick to it. burps require larger port while bassracing requires more of controlling the sub

bassman3
05-02-2010, 02:07 AM
Okay, since your running so much power, I would go with 8-12 sq.in per cube.