PDA

View Full Version : Source Point Speakers

Ne1
01-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Does anyone still use these speakers? (You know, with the tweeter embedded into the dust cone) How is the realism and sound quality on them these days? I have a bmw that will be getting some speakers soon, and I'd rather avoid drilling into any of the wood on the doors, so this may be the best alternative if I can get a good and realistic soundstage out of them. Any thoughts or reccomendations?

paikiah
01-07-2004, 12:13 PM
what you are referring to are called coaxial speakers. Yes, there are still ones with very good quality. :)

Ne1
01-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Well yeah, technically a coax, but the tweeter is actually inside the dustcap, as opposed to a normal coax with a bridge and tweeter that would alter the sound because of the blockage. But........not a bad idea, I maybe could find some nice regular coax's for the door.
Thanks!
Any brands to reccomend for sound quality? Focus, cdt, oz?

EzekialPhoenix
01-07-2004, 01:09 PM
Actually, I think Boston Acoustics makes some source point speakers. I think they are pretty high end. Check them out on their website.

EzekialPhoenix
01-07-2004, 01:12 PM
Here is the link. Expensive, but sounds like what you are looking for: http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ca_product.asp?ProductID=216&CategoryID=14

Ne1
01-07-2004, 04:52 PM
Cool, I'll check them out, thanks!

helotaxi
01-08-2004, 05:35 PM
KEF made a set a few years ago. Never heard them in a car but I never heard anything bad about them. You would probably be hard pressed to find a set now. Advent also made some. Same deal as the KEF's.

You might want to look at the CDT Braxials @ thezeb.com.

Ne1
01-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Bingo, those were the ones I was thinking of, I believe orion also made a set for a bit. Any idea why the fell to the wayside?

helotaxi
01-09-2004, 06:45 PM
Bingo, those were the ones I was thinking of, I believe orion also made a set for a bit. Any idea why the fell to the wayside?

IIRC point source speakers were designed for the home where you are on axis with the driver. It was optimized for on-axis response and imaging. It is a very rare occasion when you are on-axis in the car. Getting these speakers to sound right required a bit of fab work because the off-axis response was not very good. Car Stereo Review did a review of the Advents and basically said that the sound was really nice but the high freqs (last 2/3 octave) was really weak. The in car response plot showed a really steep rolloff above 12k-ish.

I only ever remember seeing one install in the mags with the KEF's and they were in a huge set of kickpanels because they had to be angled just so.

Basically they just didn't appeal to a large enough share of the market to remain in production.

Diplexers
01-10-2004, 02:55 AM
Eclipse has a line of point source speakers that sound real good. If you're lookin for good clean sound at normal level then the Eclipse sound great. If your lookin to crank it up some times I'd stick with standard comps.

smullen
01-15-2004, 07:51 PM
Eclipse has a line of point source speakers that sound real good. If you're lookin for good clean sound at normal level then the Eclipse sound great. If your lookin to crank it up some times I'd stick with standard comps.
I was just getting ready to say something simmilar...

I have (4 Pairs of them 2 never used, still in boxs) and I really like them...

I was really wanting an MB Quart Sets, but when I demoed both the Quarts really didn't sound any better, so at half the cost, the choice was not difficult...

They sound great at normal levels, even pretty high levels, but I don't think they would hang long with some serious SPL systems...

So I think I am going to upgrade to something hopefully better in my next system..