PDA

View Full Version : 3-way active front stage help

kyleorsini
04-30-2010, 08:42 PM
i currently have a 2way active front stage consisting of mach 5 mids and SEAS Prestige 27TAFNC/G tweets, powered by a mbquart 4125, alpine 9887 is the HU. I recently bought 2 door panels for my car at the wrecker and will be trying to do some glassing for the front stage, so im thinking about doing a 3 way active front stage, keeping my current speakers, using the m5 mids as the mid range and then picking up a 8" for the mid bass. Im able to do all this fine with the 9887 but what about the substage? im thinking i would need a external 3-way processor for the front stage. need some help one what exactly i would need to get to do this

RAM_Designs
04-30-2010, 09:39 PM
I'd get different midrange speakers, since a 6.5" driver is going to beam and have a funky response once you get above the 2.5k area. How high do you plan on running them?

As far as running everything, use the Low output on you HU for your midbass and subs with a RCA splitter, and use your amp's LP to cross the subs and use your amp's HP for the midsbasses. That way you have your midbass bandpassed and the subs are LPed like they should.

kyleorsini
04-30-2010, 09:49 PM
the midrange wasnt really set, just kinda figured since i have them, might as well use em right, as for all my xover and such no clue really, i know certain drivers perform within a certain bandwith etc, i was more going to look for some decent drivers and find the right xover points when there installed.

RAM_Designs
04-30-2010, 09:56 PM
the midrange wasnt really set, just kinda figured since i have them, might as well use em right, as for all my xover and such no clue really, i know certain drivers perform within a certain bandwith etc, i was more going to look for some decent drivers and find the right xover points when there installed.

It's just that the real point of a 3-way setup is to have your midrange play as much of the vocal range as possible, preferable something like 250-5k(or higher if you can). It just seems like your spinning your wheels using mids that will be limited to a 3k crossover point, still splitting the vocal range with the tweeters, and all you'll really be getting is a little more midbass with your 8's.

RAM_Designs
04-30-2010, 10:00 PM
The midrange speaker I've been dying to try out is this little gem: Scan-Speak Discovery 10F/4424G, 4" Midrange from Madisound (http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8690)

+-1db from 200hz to nearly 10khz when 30* off axis

kyleorsini
04-30-2010, 10:05 PM
like i said ryan the mid range wasnt set, if it isnt the going to be the best performer for a mid range, then thats fine i will look into others, that is a very nice driver but expensive :P i might just stick to a 2 way if needed, just wanting to try out new things for front stage, and learn :)

RAM_Designs
04-30-2010, 10:09 PM
like i said ryan the mid range wasnt set, if it isnt the going to be the best performer for a mid range, then thats fine i will look into others, that is a very nice driver but expensive :P i might just stick to a 2 way if needed, just wanting to try out new things for front stage, and learn :)

I understand, I've been there before...I get bored and start thinking of how I'll do a 3-way, what size mid I can fit and where I'll put it, how close to on axis can I get them(if I even want them on axis), how deep of a midbass can I fit in my doors...do I really want them in my doors? Kinda have to since I've never glassed before, but the door vibrations are going to be a pain to take care of...yada yada...more worrisome talk...lots on indecisive thinking and planning.

This is why it never ends up happening for me.

kyleorsini
04-30-2010, 10:18 PM
the vibrations is why im doing fiberglass, itll be my first time, and i have extra panels so possibilitys are pretty endless, just need to find some drivers and or a processor if needed to make it happen

Louisiana_CRX
05-01-2010, 12:34 AM
You'll need something like this on your front stage......

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m24/Louisiana_CRX/Car%20Audio/Processors/Crossfirerackcrossover003.jpg

kyleorsini
05-01-2010, 01:01 AM
i seen this when i was searching earlier, nice unit :) but i like to buy new

Louisiana_CRX
05-01-2010, 01:09 AM
i seen this when i was searching earlier, nice unit :) but i like to buy new

for the right money that can happen as well :greedy:

Louisiana_CRX
05-01-2010, 01:10 AM
one of these would be sweet also......

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m24/Louisiana_CRX/Car%20Audio/Processors/006-1.jpg

kyleorsini
05-01-2010, 03:05 AM
holy rca inputs!
but back on track here, need some options/opinions on processing and drivers for 3way front stage

DarkScorpion
05-01-2010, 03:28 AM
What's your price range for your midranges?

kyleorsini
05-01-2010, 02:36 PM
im gonna say maybe a 500$ budget for mid range and midbass. ill add a bit more iff i need to get new tweets aswell.

av8ter
05-01-2010, 06:59 PM
AHHHHH.......... I am in a very similar situation to you right now....

I run: 9887 currently active on a set of RSD 6.5''s.

If you have never tried to tune an active setup, I highly suggest you start off with the Mach5s in the doors(deadened to the best of your abilities) and fiberglass the Seas into your A-Pillars on axis(won't be hard).

3-way active setups are VERY overwhelming if you have never tried active before or even if you're fluent with 2-way active.

I am about to put a 8'' Peerless HDS in each door, and will attempt to fit a 1'' Vifa tweet and 4'' Peerless up on the dash. Setups like these take ALOT of trial and error and tuning them seems like the end of the world. It just takes ALOT of time to start getting everything to flow together.

But seriously go ahead and try the mach5s 2-way to get your feet wet. You'll be surprised how amazing they are when done up properly in a 2 way and I'd be willing to bet you'll be content for awhile...

Kevin