PDA

View Full Version : would 1 sub in corner of trunk SOUND WEIRD?

accsuperstar
01-07-2004, 06:17 AM
i am plannin on sticking 1 10 in sub in a custom box that fits in the corner area of my trunk. the trunk is like a normal sedan trunk in which is starts deep where the seats are and gets wider as you move to the end of the car. i was going to place the sub in one of those "pocket" corners.

my question is that would it souund weird for the sub to be placed there? and esp just 1 sub? i dont want 2 subs and dont want a box in my trunk to take up lots of space. anyone done this? thanks

indosia
01-07-2004, 08:42 AM
It should sound fine. Low bass frequencies 40-50hz and below are not positional. In other words you cant tell where the bass is comming from. YOu wouldn't want to put your mids and tweets in your trunk, but subs is ok.

ramos
01-07-2004, 11:09 AM
No wouldn't sound wierd at all. I myself like one sub setups better. There is no better feeling than impressing people with your system. Then when you pop the trunk they only find the one sub :)

LoneRanger
01-07-2004, 03:10 PM
No wouldn't sound wierd at all. I myself like one sub setups better. There is no better feeling than impressing people with your system. Then when you pop the trunk they only find the one sub :)

i'm with mr ramos on this one.....been doin the single sub thing in my daily driver for years now :)

ramos
01-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Ahhh another single sub breatheren :)

LoneRanger
01-07-2004, 03:59 PM
Ahhh another single sub breatheren :)

**** skippy

60% install
20% knowledge
5% product
5% beer
4% resin fumes
3.25% sound damplifier
1.75% crazy ideas from sniffing liquid nails
1% crunched up nachos in the back seat floor mats

sum of all parts = 100% wang

accsuperstar
01-07-2004, 06:08 PM
I was planning on sticking a 10" maybe w3 or edO (ruled out the w6 cuz i dont think it will fit) in one corner of my trunk. i have a sedan so the trunk widens as it moves towards the back of the car. i was wondering if that would be enough space to stick the subwoofer there? I know it will "fit" but was wondering if that was enough airspace for the sub? anyone have similar experiences?

ramos
01-08-2004, 09:17 AM
What kind of sedan ? :)

indosia
01-08-2004, 11:20 AM
A w6 would take up less space than a w3. w3s have more depth and more xmax. but there alot lighter than w6s. And a w6 will definatly hit harder, sound better, and last longer. I used to have a 89 acura legend with 2 12 w6s face up in the bottom of the trunk. The box was 36"x 22"x 8". weighed 84 lbs. 3/4inch mdf.

accsuperstar
01-09-2004, 01:17 AM
i have a 2004 acura tsx :)

i was referring to the w6v2. that thing is a beast compared to the older w6. i was comparing the newer JL subs with both w6 and w3 being the v2 models. i think i will go and get a edO since it is cheaper anyways.

indosia
01-10-2004, 07:02 PM
o sorry bro, your right. I got a polk audio dx 10 for sale on ebay. Brand new in box, its only at like 9.99. CHeck it out. These are the older polk subs. The good ones, 5 way binding post terminals, kevlar cone. 300wrms.

nosaj070
01-10-2004, 10:15 PM
You should have plenty of room to make a box for a single sub. Since its an O you have to go sealed, just make it take up most of one of those pockets and it should be between the 1.5-2.0 cuft it wants (over or under a little really doesn't matter) So go pick up some fiberglassing supplies, get to it, then post some pictures for us to see when you're done :) , good luck.
-Jason

indosia
01-14-2004, 07:09 PM
You dont want to mess with fiberglass unless you really know what your doing. It's messy stuff. Easier said than done. Youll need a good grinder, resperator, rubbergloves, paintbrushes, chopmat, resin, hardener, sandpaper, aluminum foil, accetone, a workshop and lots of time.

nosaj070
01-14-2004, 08:24 PM
You dont want to mess with fiberglass unless you really know what your doing. It's messy stuff. Easier said than done. Youll need a good grinder, resperator, rubbergloves, paintbrushes, chopmat, resin, hardener, sandpaper, aluminum foil, a workshop and lots of time.

You gotta learn eventually, i think theres enough tutorials to atleast get something half decent out your first time.

indosia
01-15-2004, 08:16 AM
So far the score is fiberglass 2 me 0. Sure it looks easy. Maybe youll have better luck than me who knows. If your careful and use a resperator it wont hurt to try.