PDA

View Full Version : Need input on an enclosure design

Spooney
04-30-2010, 02:45 PM
I already searched so if this comes up as a topic that I should have found I am sorry. I currently have two Directed SX12D4 subs in a Directed built factory enclosure. The enclosure is actually built rock solid, not your typical ****** prefab however when I removed the subs to check the wiring I was surprised to see the lack of internal volume for the sub. Each sub sees just over 1.09 cubic feet of volume and has a port with 26 inches of port area approximately 36 inches long. When I run it on win isd I get a tuning of 36 to 40 hz. Not terrible on the tuning but the enclosure volume is less than I'd use for a sealed twelve. The enclosure itself is decently sized but they used up all of the internal volume with those long ports(lots of bends in them)It doesn't sound horrible by any means but I was thinking of building another box for the subs to get more output and hopefully somewhat better sound. If I build a box with the exact same outer dimensions(these dimensions work well in my car) I can get 1.75 cubes per sub with a little bit smaller port tuned at 35 hz. Is it worthwhile to make the box a lot bigger at the expense of loosing a little port area(new box would be 39 sq inches of port total current box is at 52)? Will the larger enclosure volume allow more excursion from the subs? They don't seem to move a ton now.Not like the directed sx 10 I used to run. Any other input would be great.

FurbiesAndBeans
04-30-2010, 02:47 PM
I'd do it, rather have too small port than too small volume

Spooney
04-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Its too bad they went small on the volume. It really is a nicely built enclosure. Nicest prefab I've ever seen. Thanks for the input. Thats kinda what I was thinking I'd hear. Keep em coming guys

Spooney
04-30-2010, 03:01 PM
I should add that this is a trunk car. Just my daily driver. Not overly concerned with the possibility of the port being a little noisy if it is a little on the small side.