PDA

View Full Version : Crown Vic won't crank!

Sir Swish
04-28-2010, 08:31 PM
So I bought my 1995 Crown Vic about 5 months ago. I have never had any problems up until this past month. My car started up fine up until I left my headlights on about a month ago. I cam outside the next morning and tried to jump my car and it just would not crank at all. My uncle replaced the starter and it started up, but then a loud constant clicking noise started suddenly from somewhere under my dash. The car started fine after this but the click never went away. I replaced my battery soon after with a Optima Blue Top because I was getting ready to put my system in. The car was perfectly fine but the clicking did not stop. Just this last weekend I come out of walmart and my car again would not start. I figured my battery was faulty. I asked a guy to give me a jump and he tested my battery and said it was fully charged. He then crawled under my car and bypassed something with a screwdriver. My car started right up but he said my car would not crank over again as soon as I turned it off. Now I am here with a Crown Vic that won't crank. I did some searching on the web and I think it might be my ignition switch, Solenoid, or my safety switch. I have no idea. Any help guys?

Blasphemy
04-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Probably the starter solenoid.

Sir Swish
04-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Probably the starter solenoid.

Thanks for the reply. Any idea as to the constant clicking noise under the dash?

Sir Swish
04-28-2010, 08:40 PM
ttt

Databyter
04-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Agree it's the solenoid, or possibly the starter relay if your car has one, but 90% solenoid.

As far as the clicking, sounds like you need to have someone who knows about cars to look into that, but it could have been the solenoid even then if it was shorting or failing somehow, it may have just sounded like it was under your dash.

If it is under there then don't be surprised when your car catches on fire one day.

Have a mechanic look at it when it's making the noise.

Blasphemy
04-28-2010, 08:46 PM
I am pretty sure the solenoid is on the firewall, that might be why it sounds like it's coming from under your dash. What year is your Vic?

Sir Swish
04-28-2010, 08:47 PM
I am pretty sure the solenoid is on the firewall, that might be why it sounds like it's coming from under your dash. What year is your Vic?

Blasphemy
04-28-2010, 08:50 PM
Advice: The most common indication of a bad starter solenoid or starter relay is a rapid clicking noise whenever the ignition switch is turned to the crank position. This condition can also be caused by low battery voltage or high resistance caused by loose or corroded battery cables and / or connections.

^ Found that on AutoZone.com

A new one is 11.99 there.

Sir Swish
04-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Advice: The most common indication of a bad starter solenoid or starter relay is a rapid clicking noise whenever the ignition switch is turned to the crank position. This condition can also be caused by low battery voltage or high resistance caused by loose or corroded battery cables and / or connections.

^ Found that on AutoZone.com

Nice man. Thank you so much. I am going to check the cables and the starter solenoid.

Sir Swish
04-28-2010, 09:38 PM
UPDATE! I checked the wires that run from my positive battery terminal to the starter. They were pretty tore up and corroded. I sprayed some WD40 and tightened the wire. It started right up! :] However the clicking noise is still there. Should I go and buy a new power wire?

Blasphemy
04-28-2010, 09:40 PM
That will help, but I would get a new solenoid also to be on the safe side.

Sir Swish
04-28-2010, 10:00 PM
That will help, but I would get a new solenoid also to be on the safe side.

Is it easy to replace a solenoid?

Blasphemy
04-28-2010, 10:09 PM
No. Just a couple wires and a couple bolts and you'll be set.

Sir Swish
04-29-2010, 12:13 AM
No. Just a couple wires and a couple bolts and you'll be set.

thanks a **** ton guy. Saved me a bunch of money.

Louisiana_CRX
04-29-2010, 12:16 AM
i hope you get it fixed.....

I Like Waffle
04-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Could be the ingniton switch relay ontop of the steering column. Real pain in the ***, ive replaced some.

audioatg
04-29-2010, 09:57 PM
I just went over real quick. Have you tested voltage drop over the starter seloniod. That click noise is coming from relays in the dash fuse box location. I had a few ford trucks do the same thing( and before any one says anything its a ford they use the same setup). The battery cable is going bad. One day its good the other day its bad. When its bad it will show low voltage at the starter selonoid but have normal voltage at the battery. When you go to start it will click then everything will act like they are seeing low voltage.

ThatChevyGuy
04-30-2010, 01:56 AM
probably just getting a bad connection at times and it acts as if the batt is dead.

Voltage drops kill your electrical also