PDA

View Full Version : Alarm Opinions and Such

Johnny Law.Lulz
04-25-2010, 09:34 PM
I am thinking of getting an alarm.

Do you think its worth it ? I guess if someone really wants my ****, they'll take it but would an alarm be beneficial at all. I want a good 2 way unit so if someone is messing with my vehicle, ill know.

What do you think of this one.

Scytek Electronics ASTRA7E7 Car Alarm - Keyless 2WAY Lock - Unlock (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=2+Way+alarms&show=dd&cid=16469147405407955466&ei=xunUS4PQJZLYlAeO_cm1Bg&sa=title&ved=0CDEQ8wIwCTgU#p)

iamamp3pimp
04-26-2010, 10:32 AM
everyone i been talking too is telling me to go with the Viper 5901

RFCV
04-26-2010, 06:41 PM

Do you think it's worth it? I guess if someone really wants my ****, they'll take it.. but would an alarm be beneficial at all?

:yes: ALARM SUCCESS STORY AND OTHER THEFT PREVENTION TIPS from a alarm installer.MUST READ! (http://audioforum.termpro.com/topic/15/611.html)

outsideshot23
04-26-2010, 06:49 PM
everyone i been talking too is telling me to go with the Viper 5901

i got a 5901 brain laying around for 100$.. just have to buy the addons and they are evry reasonable.. could have entire setup for 300 with a few addons.. just lmk

outsideshot23
04-26-2010, 06:50 PM

Do you think its worth it ? I guess if someone really wants my ****, they'll take it but would an alarm be beneficial at all. I want a good 2 way unit so if someone is messing with my vehicle, ill know.

What do you think of this one.

Scytek Electronics ASTRA7E7 Car Alarm - Keyless 2WAY Lock - Unlock (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=2+Way+alarms&show=dd&cid=16469147405407955466&ei=xunUS4PQJZLYlAeO_cm1Bg&sa=title&ved=0CDEQ8wIwCTgU#p)

ya .. they work.. i have heard alot of people saying they dont i would love for them to try to break into mine... Autopage makes some excellent alarms and are easy to install yourself plus they have any addon you need. Motion sensors, tilt sensors, i have a sensor on my bed cover.. comes with clean looking 2 ways... i got mine with 3 addons installed for 600 bucks

Johnny Law.Lulz
04-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Im not paying more than about $200. I can get a nice 2 way for way cheaper than that.

outsideshot23
04-26-2010, 06:58 PM
depends on what your protecting i guess. i got alot of **** between sytem and rims so its def worth it for me to get extra addons to protect those assests....if you just got a system in a car a motion sensor should be more than enough but it might be a bish installing

mendon99
04-27-2010, 11:40 AM
An alarm is good for the honest thief, which is most of them. They walk by, see the blinking light, maybe make an attempt and hear the shock sensor, its usually not worth it to them, they're wasting time. They'll just move on to the next car. Most thieves don't have access to a flatbed or would attempt such a feat. If you're worried the shock sensor isn't enough, get a proximity sensor - just make sure you connect the main power through a switch, or an AUX from the alarm brain for cutting the power when it rains.

If you're going to bother with an alarm, I'd get a 2-way if you think you'll be in range most of the time.

Johnny Law.Lulz
04-27-2010, 11:42 AM
Ill be in range most of the time i believe.

Any opinions on the one i posted in my OP

mendon99
04-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Ive really only seen 1 Scytek alarm. It seemed cheaply made, to me - and the price on the one you're looking at reflects that. If you have it installed, it will cost more than the unit itself..

Id suggest something DEI or Compustar. I have an older DEI unit, a Viper 791xv and it has NEVER failed me. Everything on it always works, it has good range, a quick response, and it was used 2 times before me!

bubbagumper6
04-27-2010, 11:57 AM
The way I look at it, when I got broken into, they broke my window and stole my dvd player (no alarm). If I had my alarm installed it definitely wouldn't have saved the window, but it may have saved the dvd player (most thieves are amateurs and will run at the sound of an alarm)

Johnny Law.Lulz
04-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Im installing it myself.

RFCV
04-27-2010, 07:11 PM
An alarm is good for the honest thief, which is most of them.
:eyebrow:

RFCV
04-27-2010, 07:16 PM
If I had my alarm installed it definitely wouldn't have saved the window

Possibly would have, especially if you had a proximity sensor that would have warned them away before they actually touched the vehicle

mendon99
04-27-2010, 08:15 PM
:eyebrow:

question?

RFCV
04-28-2010, 06:28 PM
question?

Explain "honest thief"?

itsbmw
04-28-2010, 07:41 PM
AutoPage for sure, with an iDatalink module, its an installers dream, makes things so easy.

mendon99
04-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Explain "honest thief"?

an honest thief is one who isn't very experienced, and/or is NOT going to attempt a GTA basically - just a smash and grab only thief. People in the biz (at least where I'm from) call them that because they have more of a conscious than the hard criminals..

outsideshot23
04-28-2010, 08:24 PM
AutoPage for sure, with an iDatalink module, its an installers dream, makes things so easy.

exactly what i already said.. good luck with the vipers.. they are a joke.. have to flash them everytime you install or reinstall.. autopage does everything you need... i have shock sensor, proximity, tilt sensor and there are not but a few wires... and like i said 600 is a good price installed for what i menntioned.. obviuosly you havent ever purchased or dealt with alarms before

RFCV
04-28-2010, 08:50 PM
An honest thief is one who isn't very experienced, and/or is NOT going to attempt a GTA basically - just a smash and grab only thief. People in the biz (at least where I'm from) call them that because they have more of a conscious than the hard criminals..

I call them amateurs, because to me there is no such thing as a honest thief. Maybe only those who have a conscious to feel bad enough to give your stuff back, which is very far & few between.

bubbagumper6
04-28-2010, 08:58 PM
exactly what i already said.. good luck with the vipers.. they are a joke.. have to flash them everytime you install or reinstall.. autopage does everything you need... i have shock sensor, proximity, tilt sensor and there are not but a few wires... and like i said 600 is a good price installed for what i menntioned.. obviuosly you havent ever purchased or dealt with alarms before

Well I don't know how you "flash" an alarm but I didn't have to the first time I installed it, or the second time when I reinstalled it. And viper's have shock sensors, proximity sensors, tilt sensors, and pretty much any other sensor you can think of...

outsideshot23
04-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Well I don't know how you "flash" an alarm but I didn't have to the first time I installed it, or the second time when I reinstalled it. And viper's have shock sensors, proximity sensors, tilt sensors, and pretty much any other sensor you can think of...

i know.. i had 2 of them.. when i got the autopage i used to viper addons i had .. i dont suppose you have had the priveledge of installing an autopage.. i have done both.. which makes me a little more qualified to compare the 2 of them

outsideshot23
04-28-2010, 09:45 PM

dont forget backup battery.. although alot of vehicles cant have them because they willa ctually run it down.. i cant think of anymore.. oh.. i did have one that went off with glass break but i got rid of it

bubbagumper6
04-29-2010, 12:55 PM
i know.. i had 2 of them.. when i got the autopage i used to viper addons i had .. i dont suppose you have had the priveledge of installing an autopage.. i have done both.. which makes me a little more qualified to compare the 2 of them

Wait so since I haven't used autopage, it makes me not qualified to doubt you? Your saying autopage is amazing because you don't have to "flash" it, and it has all these crazy add ons. I'm saying I don't have to "flash" my viper and it has all the same add ons

dont forget backup battery.. although alot of vehicles cant have them because they willa ctually run it down.. i cant think of anymore.. oh.. i did have one that went off with glass break but i got rid of it

Including a backup battery.

SoundConnection
05-14-2010, 01:57 PM
I would recomend a security system over an alarm :)

Blizardfans
07-13-2010, 01:53 PM
why dont you try GPS tracker?

this item send sms to ya cellphone with geo-info and google map when sb. get messing to ya vehicle.

below link for reference
GSM/GPRS/GPS Tracker tri/quad band GPS device- MARCOBIZ ELECTRONICS (http://www.szmarcobiz.com/product.php-id=58.htm)

KMS
07-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Any alarm will do.

Spell
10-21-2010, 01:02 PM
i have the 5902 in my car. BEST EVER!

Farmacist
10-21-2010, 01:18 PM
Ive got the high end scytek visionguard 8000 , I really like it, has a ton of options and is a really solid alarm