PDA

View Full Version : Just finished first box

kr15
04-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Got plans from Supergumby for a box for a Treo SSi 15.22...it is 2.5cu ft @ 30hz....
First off, i made a few mistakes. But I will remember these when I build in the future. Second, its a pain in the *** if you dont have the right tools. I had to make many cuts with a jigsaw, needless to say, these cuts are not pretty....

Anyway, to the box. Considering my amp, I may have tuned to low. Hifonics seem to struggle on the low end. My Fosgate before this Hifonics did not have this issue.. I say this as it doesnt seem like I really gained any low end from my prefab. Now, at all basses, this box is way cleaner sounding than the prefab was. I also thought that I would lose the high end basses compared to the prefab, I am happy to say I did not. Now, those high basses are definately in the slope off area as they dont hit with the output that the prefab did, but they are there and I had no complaints about how they sounded. Overall, I think I lost some output, but this was to be expected as prefabs are typically tuned higher, and it seems easier to get output in the low 40s than in the low 30s..However, on the loss of output, it was very small while the gain in SQ was very noticeable, so it was a fair trade off...

I will try and post a few pics....I also thank Supergumby and recomend him if you need a box. My lack of craftmanship may have taken away from the box, but with more skilled hands, this would have been an outstanding box

kr15
04-25-2010, 06:28 PM
the first pic is box mid construction...

second pic is completed box..

RAM_Designs
04-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Did you put any bracing in there?

bubbagumper6
04-25-2010, 06:44 PM
bigger/more pics bro!

kr15
04-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Did you put any bracing in there?
no, but i know I need to. i already cut a few little pieces to do it...i was just to anxious to see how it sounded

oh, and where exactly should the bracing go?

bubbagumper6
04-25-2010, 06:48 PM
no, but i know I need to. i already cut a few little pieces to do it...i was just to anxious to see how it sounded

oh, and where exactly should the bracing go?

A few pieces of what? MDF? You stick that in there your going to raise the tuning...Use something like wooden dowel rods or metal threaded rods, they'll brace well and take up minimal airspace.

kr15
04-25-2010, 06:58 PM
A few pieces of what? MDF?
yes, thats what i planned...i cut some thin strips about 4 inches long each

bubbagumper6
04-25-2010, 07:00 PM
yes, thats what i planned...i cut some thin strips about 4 inches long each

What's the box tuned to? That's going to raise your tuning...

kr15
04-25-2010, 07:02 PM
What's the box tuned to? That's going to raise your tuning...
30hz

if its at 30, what should ssf be set at? 25hz?

kr15
04-25-2010, 09:26 PM
An update...I was wrong, i definately gained some low end output. Just tested out one of Decaf's mixes
:)

kr15
04-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Now i have 2 more questions...
1. where can i buy carpet to wrap the box? I tried autozone, they did not have it. They suggested PepBoys or Walmart...
2. What type of adhesive do i use to attach material to box?

thanks

bubbagumper6
04-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Parts-Express.com - Speakers, Speaker Building, Home Audio and Video, Pro Audio, Electronic Parts & Accessories PARTS EXPRESS, Speakers, Speaker Parts, Guitar speakers, Bass speakers, Woofers, Drivers, speaker upgrades and replacement speakers. Emine (http://www.partsexpress.com)

They sell carpet and the 3M adhesive spray you'll need. These answers are easy to find if you do some searching though...

hispls
04-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Now i have 2 more questions...
1. where can i buy carpet to wrap the box? I tried autozone, they did not have it. They suggested PepBoys or Walmart...
2. What type of adhesive do i use to attach material to box?

thanks

There's a fabric store near me that has grey felt on the cheap cheap. Any heavy felt will do though poor quality felt will start to pill up like an old sweater eventually. Most install shops have it though probably overpriced.

For glue I like the 3M brand 77 super spray adhesive (in a big black can) Spray wood and carpet with a good even coat, let it set a minute or two to tack up then pull the felt tight and lay it down and rub it down. Doing seems is kind of rough to explain, there's a way to do it real stealth, but keep in mind felt will stretch a bit around corners, doing it on box edges helps, just cut it with a bit of excess and rub it with a dowel or something to smooth it out. MUCH easier to trim a little more off than to add more! If you have a side that will never show you can do most of the seems rough on that side and tighten them up with a staple gun.

2" pieces of MDF should be sufficient to brace and take up little enough space that you likely wouldn't notice tuning difference.. You can use as either pillars or T them onto walls....the larger the wall the more likely it'll need some extra support.

kr15
04-26-2010, 01:18 PM
^ Thanks...Im likely going to do something unique with the box as well. I am thinking about adding a square to the top of the box of some type of white or black fabric and airbrush some stuff on it...idk what yet, but something unique. I'll probley just do "Treo Engineering" in a crazy *** font

hispls
04-26-2010, 01:20 PM
^ Thanks...Im likely going to do something unique with the box as well. I am thinking about adding a square to the top of the box of some type of white or black fabric and airbrush some stuff on it...idk what yet, but something unique. I'll probley just do "Treo Engineering" in a crazy *** font

If you want to do something like that I'd highly suggest you get a scrap piece of wood and practice on that. I think getting a nice edge like that without a router and some skill would be tough.

kr15
04-26-2010, 01:28 PM
If you want to do something like that I'd highly suggest you get a scrap piece of wood and practice on that. I think getting a nice edge like that without a router and some skill would be tough.
i wasnt planning on insetting it. Just cut out a square on top of the carpet, and then add some type of textile that is more airbrush freindly in the square that I cut out...Air brush the square textile and put it in the square flush with carpet

on1wheel01
04-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Not bad for 1st box. I would do all thread for bracing. Search it and find out. Oh and tools def needed table saw, jasper jig and router with spiral bit, and flush trim bit. Some others when i think of it. Practice makes perfect just keep at it. Everybody starts somewhere this is my latest box
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/grnreaper01/360696e8.jpg

kr15
04-26-2010, 05:34 PM
this is my latest box
wish my cuts were that clean...**** jigsaw

thread for bracing. Search it and find out
thats what the type of bracing is called, "thread bracing"?

on1wheel01
04-26-2010, 05:36 PM
all thread. AS for yours cuts you can always get a skil saw and a straight edge that makes nice clean cuts to the size u want.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/grnreaper01/Box%20builds/tcboxbuildbracing.jpg

DonH
04-26-2010, 05:36 PM
make sure to get UNBACKED TRUNK CARPET. then 1080 spray adhesive. done deal

Supergumby5000
04-26-2010, 05:39 PM
wait, you built that box while using a jigsaw for all your cuts?

.......props, lol.

kr15
04-26-2010, 06:26 PM
all thread.
got you

make sure to get UNBACKED TRUNK CARPET. then 1080 spray adhesive. done deal
will do, thanks.

wait, you built that box while using a jigsaw for all your cuts?
yes, major pain in the ***...thats why my cuts are not great

kr15
04-30-2010, 08:42 PM
to all novice box builders; brace your box! I just learned the hard way, this box already blew apart after less than a week!! completely my fault

Blue Fury
04-30-2010, 08:57 PM
to all novice box builders; brace your box! I just learned the hard way, this box already blew apart after less than a week!! completely my fault

... I'm not sure it was entirely the lack of bracing that destroyed your box if (going by your sig) it was only 1 15".

kr15
04-30-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm not sure it was entirely the lack of bracing that destroyed your box if (going by your sig) it was only 1 15".
yes, just the one 15...it blew my prefab box apart also. the prefab was braced (with little mdf strips only) and it still blew apart...i also did not double baffle this box, perhaps that played a role? I used 3 inch screws though, quite a few of them...

Now im going back and adding bracing, more screws and liquid nails...

Blue Fury
05-02-2010, 03:44 PM
yes, just the one 15...it blew my prefab box apart also. the prefab was braced (with little mdf strips only) and it still blew apart...i also did not double baffle this box, perhaps that played a role? I used 3 inch screws though, quite a few of them...

Now im going back and adding bracing, more screws and liquid nails...

Each box was built using at least the common 3/4" MDF? hmmm

on1wheel01
05-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Well 1 dont use ln. Try using tite bond 2. 1 get tite bond 2. 2 get clamps and or screws. 3 let it dry a day or so before using it. 4 add bracing

kr15
05-03-2010, 07:19 PM
I added bracing and let it dry for 3 days to completely cure....last time i only let it dry for about an hour...

yes, it is 3/4 mdf..and the prefab was actually baffled

basshedz06
05-03-2010, 07:52 PM
ok one 15 can't break a box lol try building a box tuned to 38-40hz an playing gucci man i think i love her song half volume an then come talk to me. with no bracing an no45's i broke a 15 box with that song it can happen i have done it too many times. going back in with 2in wide strips was the best thing to do for as bracing goes for me as for that raising your tuning lol it won't raise it enough to make a difference trust me, your freq hz will be in the .45234534 or something like that not a full hz and if so it won't matter cause tuned that low like you are man you really won't care.
45's will change it though just because you adding in bigger, well if you go bigger or wider 45's is what i mean i think that will change it but i have'nt tested that theory yet.
good luck with what you got going on man hope that ***** is loud as **** bro get some vids up if ya ain't already.

Maxipads
05-04-2010, 12:57 AM
Now im all worried my first box i just built is going to break. I Screwed with 3" nails every 5 inches and have 4 Threaded Rods bolted on.

on1wheel01
05-04-2010, 01:47 AM
well nails are eh but it should be ok with all thread

kr15
05-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Now im all worried my first box i just built is going to break.
mine was operator error...if u did a good job, dont even worry about it....

kr15
05-07-2010, 11:42 PM
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/video-database/474540-treo-15-ssi-15-22-30-hz.html
video link