PDA

View Full Version : Single port vs dual

AudioEnthusiast
04-22-2010, 08:35 PM
I was wondering how much of a diffrent a single rectangular port would be from dual rectangular ports. Im going to be building a box for my friend and he has 2 pioneer champion pro subs and he wants the box so it will sound good but be able to produce as much possible. (spl) What would be the best type of port for this application.

justafifteen
04-22-2010, 09:25 PM
I've heard that dual ports are pointless unless each sub is going to have their own chamber

AudioEnthusiast
04-22-2010, 09:47 PM
If i do dual ports each sub will have there own chamber.

RAM_Designs
04-22-2010, 09:50 PM
I've done dual ports with a single chamber...nothing wrong with it at all. I preferred it over a single port because it kept the box symmetrical.

AudioEnthusiast
04-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Yeah. Makes sence. I have a single port right now and it sounds pretty good and produces pretty good. I would figure dual ports would sound better because theres less room for distortian. well if i had each one in there own chamber. im just not sure if i would be able to get a better db rating with one single port or with two or if its the same just one has better sq.

patotay
04-23-2010, 10:29 AM
I've done dual ports with a single chamber...nothing wrong with it at all. I preferred it over a single port because it kept the box symmetrical.

+1

FurbiesAndBeans
04-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Yeah. Makes sence. I have a single port right now and it sounds pretty good and produces pretty good. I would figure dual ports would sound better because theres less room for distortian. well if i had each one in there own chamber. im just not sure if i would be able to get a better db rating with one single port or with two or if its the same just one has better sq.

:confused:

Double port just means two different ports that you'd have to make exactly the same. If the single port is the same port area as the double ports, then the spl depends on how your car environment.

O.G. D-Wet
04-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Well I think this discussion should also include shared vs. independent chamber... I've heard tons of times over the years that a shared chamber can def increase dBs... So I would take that into consideration depending on what ur priorities are. I would do single chamber, single port. **** symmetry

AudioEnthusiast
04-26-2010, 12:22 AM
When i said dual port vs single i was talking about a single port in the middle where the subs share the space and with the dual have independent chambers. Sorry for not clarifying that. This box is going to be for a friend and he wants this box for mostly the spl. but also sound good. the subs are 1000 watt rms and he has the power acoutic 4000 watt amp with a 4 farad capacitor hooked up to them. just to give you an idea of an apporximate of how much power im dealing with. If there is any recommendations of a diffrent types of ports i should do, like a square, or round port let me know. This amplication will be mostly for spl like i said before but also have sq.

tymoto21
04-26-2010, 12:31 AM
a "double prot" is just a single port spread into two. as long as you keep the original design in mind it doesnt "really" matter on how many ports your have. if you need a port 4" wide you could do 1 4" port or 2 2" ports. (thats for a common chamber)

on1wheel01
04-26-2010, 01:20 AM
lol he's really not dealing with a lot of actual power. But it should still be loud. I imagine my saz1500d is pushing out more rms than the "4000" watt amp. But yea. All my boxes I do I make them shared chamber and port to side. Easier and such to build.

O.G. D-Wet
04-26-2010, 01:28 AM
yea i still say shared chamber enclosure with a single shared aeroport

luv2shrOOm
04-26-2010, 01:36 AM
4 8" ports ftmfw!!